Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

If you had the infamous intake gasket leak

PotIsYourFriend
04-17-2005, 09:53 PM
I'm pretty sure thats what I have also... I have to add water to the radiator every month and once a week I check it to only find oil under that cap... Which I think this could be the reason why my Catalytic convertor keeps frying..... I was going to get this fixed along with the a/c then sell it.. I don't want to sell it now knowing the problem with it... Also is that what I should tell the mechanic, to change the intake gasket????

vamc
04-19-2005, 09:11 PM
Yes, he should be aware of this nasty gm problesm, You are using dex-cool antifreeze, right? if not, your engine is done anyways. if you have been, there are 3 gaskets that need replsed. after gaskets are replased, look for any leaks after he/she has replased them. look for oil and antifreeze. i dont think it has to do anything with the cat. because the cat is not buy it, it just could be rusted from the antifreeze hitting it.

BNaylor
04-19-2005, 09:56 PM
Yes, he should be aware of this nasty gm problesm, You are using dex-cool antifreeze, right? if not, your engine is done anyways. if you have been, there are 3 gaskets that need replsed. after gaskets are replased, look for any leaks after he/she has replased them. look for oil and antifreeze. i dont think it has to do anything with the cat. because the cat is not buy it, it just could be rusted from the antifreeze hitting it.

This guy doesn't know what he is talking about. In another post on a similar subject he claimed he had 3 headgaskets replaced. Now he's changed his tune and says yes change the intake manifold gasket and that there are 3 of them. He doesn't know the difference between a head or intake gasket.

Based on his unfounded theory concerning Dex-Cool, 34 millions GM cars on the road today have engines that are done.

CAT rusting from the antifreeze hitting it??? Come on! Hey genius, a damaged or clogged CAT convertor could possibly cause or contribute to
engine overheating problems.

LeBuick
04-19-2005, 10:36 PM
I suggest not telling the mechanic how to fix your car. You may be wrong and he won't back his work. If you tell him the symptoms, let him diagnose he will be accountable...

vamc
04-20-2005, 11:43 AM
CAT rusting from the antifreeze hitting it??? Come on! Hey genius, a damaged or clogged CAT convertor could possibly cause or contribute to
How is that possable??? If the exost does not come out, your engine will stall. your engine will not over heat. Every person knows that!! Your the one that does not know what they are talking about. I am ase, and i do know what im taking about! This guy puts people down and he does not back himself up! Even look on the other formes if you dont beleve me!! You are the type of person that will tell someone to get a new car if they cant fix it. Take a hike!

BNaylor
04-20-2005, 01:33 PM
How is that possable??? If the exost does not come out, your engine will stall. your engine will not over heat. Every person knows that!! Your the one that does not know what they are talking about. I am ase, and i do know what im taking about! This guy puts people down and he does not back himself up! Even look on the other formes if you dont beleve me!! You are the type of person that will tell someone to get a new car if they cant fix it. Take a hike!

You're the ASE or so you claim. So why don't you figure out what a clogged CAT convertor will do to a car. BTW - Engines don't always stall out with a bad CAT. Incidently, Ive got 37 years in the automobile and motorcycle business, a degree in engineering, and part owner of a speed & custom shop, FYI.

As to putting people down you started it. Get a life!

ewack
04-20-2005, 03:33 PM
I'm not one to get involved most of the time, but this posting is unfortunate. I don't know why you (bnaylor) are flying off the handle and going after vamc because he is posting to help this guy with his problem. From all that i have read vamc is valuable to this forum and many people have appreciated his help. If you disagree with his statement on what to do about a problem then fine but you don't have to crack on him while doing it, just post your opinion. You're not helping the guy that started this thread, you're just trying to prove yourself. Which many people don't care about your degrees or whatnot, they just want the right information. So give them what you know if you want to help, if not, then don't bother.

BNaylor
04-20-2005, 03:47 PM
I'm not one to get involved most of the time, but this posting is unfortunate. I don't know why you (bnaylor) are flying off the handle and going after vamc because he is posting to help this guy with his problem. From all that i have read vamc is valuable to this forum and many people have appreciated his help. If you disagree with his statement on what to do about a problem then fine but you don't have to crack on him while doing it, just post your opinion. You're not helping the guy that started this thread, you're just trying to prove yourself. Which many people don't care about your degrees or whatnot, they just want the right information. So give them what you know if you want to help, if not, then don't bother.

Point well taken ewack. Got to admit the guy does try hard. Got to give him an "A" on that. As to the resolution of the original posters problem, LeBuick gave the best advice. There is only so much you can do without physically being there otherwise you add to the confusion. Wish I had a dollar for all the good advice I give and that covers multiple forums.

vamc
04-20-2005, 05:19 PM
ewack, i would like to thank you. I try to help out as much as i can. Like anything else, we all know that one thing may break, and cause other things to break. in some instance, we are all correct. we all nerrow down to the thing that could be wrong, and all you can do if fix one thing at a time till the problem goes away.
bnaylor3400, Like i said in another form, i am sorry to i guess yell at you. You seem very educated person, i beleve you as well give good advise as well. Im sure you could teach me a thing or to. once agine, sorry.:-)

BNaylor
04-20-2005, 05:25 PM
ewack, i would like to thank you. I try to help out as much as i can. Like anything else, we all know that one thing may break, and cause other things to break. in some instance, we are all correct. we all nerrow down to the thing that could be wrong, and all you can do if fix one thing at a time till the problem goes away.
bnaylor3400, Like i said in another form, i am sorry to i guess yell at you. You seem very educated person, i beleve you as well give good advise as well. Im sure you could teach me a thing or to. once agine, sorry.:-)

The purpose of the forum to help one another and we're all in it together, especially when it comes to saving money. Everyone's opinion counts. No apology necessary, I should be the one apologizing. Keep up the good work!

vamc
04-20-2005, 05:34 PM
You to sir.

LeBuick
04-21-2005, 12:24 AM
You guys need to get a room!:grinyes:

vamc
04-21-2005, 03:50 PM
lol.

Add your comment to this topic!