Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

01 Malibu - front end collision kill switch?

k2272
04-17-2005, 09:39 PM
I have a 2001 Chevy Malibu that was involved in a minor front end collision and now it won't start. There was no damage to either vehicle but my car died on the scene and had to be pushed out of the way.

I was wondering if anyone might know if there is a sensor in the front bumper linked to the fuel system. AND/OR if I can find out the location of the reset button.

My husband put some sort of starter fluid in the intake and it started right up but as soon as it burned off the car died. (all greek to me)

The Chevy dealership in my area is no help. They just want me to bring it in. If it is a matter of just resetting a button I can save myself a heap of $$$, they are notoriously overcharging!!

Thanks so much!

Kay

igkyoa
04-17-2005, 09:50 PM
did the air bags go off?

k2272
04-17-2005, 09:53 PM
No the airbags didn't come out...there was no damage to either vehicle and I have never had any problems with tha car until now.

Thank you SO much for your reply!

Kay

igkyoa
04-18-2005, 02:38 AM
i find it very hard to believe that the car not starting has anything to do with the accident if there was no dammage done. the fact that the starter fluid got the car started says to me that the engine is working fine but it is not getting any fuel for some reason. i'm sure you are not so dumb as to try and start a car that has no gas in the tank which means that for some reason the fuel is not getting from the tank to the engine. the two causes i can think of would be a broken fuel line or fuel pump problems. if there is a broken fuel line you will probably find gas leaking all over under the car. your should be able to hear your fuel pump priming when you turn the car on (a humming sound) for a few seconds if you dont hear that then there is a problem with your fuel pump which is likley the fuse or relay under the hood is blown. if you suspect the fuel pump DO NOT take it to a dealer cause they will replace the fuse and charge you $250 for a fuel pump.

anyway i hope this helps and good luck.

igkyoa
04-18-2005, 02:39 AM
PS

I dont think there is such thing as a kill switch and if there was the starter fluid would not be able to start the car

k2272
04-18-2005, 12:05 PM
There is no fuel leaking at all and the gas tank is full (for sure) even added some to make sure. There is no humming sound when trying to turn the car over. In addition the fuel guage is not registering any gas at all. My husband has assured me he checked all the fuses and they are all in good working condition. (He is generally not mechanically inclined.) However I am not sure that he checked the fuse or relay under the hood. Any idea on where that would be located specifically?

thanks again for your help,

Kay

e2helper
04-18-2005, 04:48 PM
It is suspicious that the fuel gauge is not registering any fuel and that might be a clue. But the fuel pump fuse and relay are both located in an underhood electrical center on driver side. There is a fuse label or printing on back side of cover. All components are numbered. The fuel pump fuse is #48 F/P INJR (15 Amp) and the relay is one of the small ones #18.

k2272
04-18-2005, 06:58 PM
Thank you, I have printed this out to give to my husband, so he can check into it.

I talked to him at lunch and he indicated that there was a switch that also runs the a/c (which does work fine) that he flipped under the hood (somewhere). Like I said this is all Greek to me BUT if I can keep from being ripped by my local dealership over a fuse or a switch, I am a step ahead. I really, really, really appreciate this. I will log on tomorrow after he has time to check out the fuel pump fuse. I won't be home before night fall to give him this info. So it will be tomorrow evening most likely. I REALLY appreciate your help!!

My most heartfelt thanks!!

Kay

Add your comment to this topic!