Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Turbocharged wagons?

uranium235powered
04-17-2005, 12:56 PM
Just for personal interest, what make/model wagons have a ton of aftermarket compactability? Performance first, then cosmetics. I'm thinking of getting one of the Bug-eye WRX wagons because they are pretty common up here in Toronto and is considerably less than a WRX sedan. I don't think that the aftermarket is all that bad either...

Now, except for the WRX wagon, all that I can think of is Mazda's Protege 5 that is turbocharged. Does anyone know what either of them run stock in the 1/4 with a decent driver? The reason I'm considering a wagon is because it would make an excellent sleeper, while on the other hand I can smoke ricers from school.

I've been recently thinking about a wagon, but I might get a car instead. I have a year to decide which car to get...... plenty of time.....if a wagon doesn't work out I'll just get a 240SX and turbo the KA24DE. Or better yet, if my parents have enough money, I'll get myself an R32 GT-R and leave it stock.

Here are my requirements:

Amount of $$ to spend: $20,000 total for car and mods. (Parents are going to buy me the car...not allowed to work) Number of passenger seats: At least 4 or 5 Insurance will not be a killer Not a gas guzzler Lots of Aftermarket Be able to haul people and equipment (this will be the only car in the family) Be able to smoke stock 92 - 95 Honda Civic HB's
Any comments appreciated.

TheStang00
04-17-2005, 01:14 PM
well you could buy a car/wagon type thing like a ford focus or a mazda 6 (or it might be a 3 i forget).

-Jayson-
04-17-2005, 02:06 PM
uhhh your parents are leaving it up to you, to find a car for the whole family? Well i wouldnt get a wagon WRX, they are just ugly IMO. Honestly i dont think you will find the car your looking for. You want to many things from a car, your going to have to take away from of those wants if you ever plan on finding a car.

uranium235powered
04-17-2005, 03:15 PM
uhhh your parents are leaving it up to you, to find a car for the whole family?

Uhhh...yeah. My parents don't like driving. My Dad's driver's licence expired about 10 years ago. My mom doesn't even drive on the highway. In SEVEN years, we only drove a total of 8000 km in our Honda Civic. How does that sound?

Anyways, I still have time to consider what I want. Its pretty difficult finding a car in Toronto thats not a Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla. And anything thats too old is bad...Ontario oversalts the roads every year so rust can be a problem.

My only problem right now is that my parents won't tell me how much I'm allowed to spend. If only I could work, then I could get a car of my choice. Maybe two.

tr0ike
04-17-2005, 03:18 PM
Dude, the Euros make more turbocharged wagons than anyone ... Volvo has had turbo brick wagons since the 1980s ... 850 series back in the day, might have been an 850R wagon mid 1990s .. now there's V40s, V70s with T5s and other awesome engines.

Volks and Audi as well, the Jetta wagon didn't make it to the US until a few years ago, but there's the 1.8T availible in that ... can also get a 1.8T in the Audi A4 Avant with Quattro (AWD).

Also a B3 TDI Passat wagon, Mercedes 300TD and older TD wagons also, etc.

I'd suspect there's a Turbo in the Saab 9^5 wagon ... the new 9^3 sport combi will probably have the 16v 2.0T in it. There's the Saaburu WRX 9^2x, but since you named the Impreza, you at least covered that one.
I'm sure I've left a lot out; I love wagons but don't keep up on them per se.

-Josh-
04-17-2005, 03:26 PM
I've always liked the Protege' 5's but i dont think that they're turbocharged from the factory. If i were gonna get a go fast wagon though it would probably be the Suby.

Edit: Change my mind if i were gonna get a fast wagon i would get Roadmaster Wagon and mod the shit out of the LT1 in those.

streetrcr45
04-18-2005, 12:43 PM
I like the WRX wagons..i think that the white ones with nice tint jobs are just plain sex.

There's aftermarket for them, and they will smoke civics right outta the box.

As for the protege 5, i as well have never heard anything about them comming with a turbo from the factory, but maybe it's different up there in Canada.

drftk1d
04-18-2005, 04:02 PM
protege 5 never came with a turbo, only the mazdaspeed protege sedan had a turbo. look at the volvo v70r or the wrx wagon as you have been. afaik, the wrx wagon has complete parts interchangablility with the sedan except for the suspension.

uranium235powered
04-18-2005, 10:19 PM
Hmmm...I always thought the Protege 5' was always tubocharged from factory....

Yeah, I'm a big fan of Subaru's lineup of vehicles, especially the WRX sedan. STi is definately out of the question....However, the sedan is anywhere from 5 - 10k more expensive than the wagon and is a lot harder to find, which is why I am considering a wagon instead. If the price continues to depreciate, I might be able to afford a sedan later on in one or two years.

I don't really know what car to get yet....I've had a broad selection I wish to have. My parents are likely to allow me to spend about $10,000 and I might be able to squeeze another grand or two for a used vehicle. I'll then be modding my car with a part-time job or something when I'm in university. If its a newer car (2000+) then they might consider going up to $15,000 max. BTW, these are Canadian currency, so in $US its slightly less.

Kinda off-topic, but heres the cars which I'd like to get...I'll have to use the process of elimination to decide what I want.

Nissan 240SX (S13) 89-94 (Hatchback...and go Turbocharged instead of SR20DET) Nissan 240SX (S14) Zenki 95-96 (Go Turbocharged instead of SR20DET) Nissan 240SX (S14) Kouki 97-? (Go Turbocharged instead of SR20DET) Nissan 180SX (91+) (So that I'll have the SR20DET instead of the CA18DET and RHD) Nissan Silvia (S14) (I'll have to wait a few more years to import this...and same reason as 180SX) Nissan Fairlady 300ZX (91-96) (I've heard the VG is hard to mod?! Or was it a lack of space?) Nissan Skyline (R32) GTs-T (I doubt this will happen :mad:, and parts are hard to find) Mazda Miata 90-98 ( 2 seater...room...I might need another car) Toyota Supra 88-92 (1JZ-GTE has some potential, right? :uhoh:) Toyota MR2 91-95 (2 seater and lack of space could be a problem) Mitsubishi 3000GT 91-93 (it would be REALLY hard to find...) Subaru Impreza 93-01 (sedan) Subaru Impreza 02-03 (bugeye, sedan or wagon both rocks) and MAYBE... an RX-7 (FC-3S) but I'm not sure on the reliability of a rotary engine...I think thats about it....but I might have left something out. Anyone notice I'm a Nissan fan? Lol....thats basically it.

- Andrew

drftk1d
04-18-2005, 10:51 PM
i thought you were picking cars for your family?

none of those make good family cars.

sigh, rotary engine reliability, my car has 123k on the original engine and runs strong, take that as you may. they have a bad reputation because people dont know how to take care of it. one guy on another forum from canada just got a j-spec rx7 turbo, and it was immaculate, and should last for a good long time.

uranium235powered
04-19-2005, 12:08 AM
i thought you were picking cars for your family?

none of those make good family cars.

Now that you mention it...you're absolutely right. I think the majority of those are 4 seaters. But damn, I seriously don't want to drive a Honda Civic...because everybody has one.

drftk1d
04-19-2005, 12:23 AM
look at some of the older lexuses. even toyota cressida is nice if modded (and is also a lighter car than a supra despite it having 4 doors).

the mazda 929 is pretty sweet too.

Add your comment to this topic!