Clear coat problem help!

vincentwashere
04-17-2005, 10:23 AM
Ok when i put on the base coats everything is nice and then i put on my clear coat and it has the normal orange peel. when i wetsand it down with 1500, it gets smooth but when i start to polish it, you can see little white specks and fisheyes. how do i get rid of it. and what is it, a guy told me it is contamination or i sprayed wrong.
edit: im using ppg Omni Sv

pic:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v676/vincentwashere/DSCN1495.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v676/vincentwashere/DSCN1703.jpg

mike@af
04-17-2005, 12:06 PM
Keep on sanding until all the fisheyes are out. Then respray. Fisheyes are caused by improper prep. Were there any oils on the base before you sprayed clear?

vincentwashere
04-17-2005, 02:21 PM
i unno, i didnt put on any prep sol. so there probably was. i bought some fish eye eliminator. would that help? thanks -vince

when you say respray, do u mean respray everything or just the clearcoat

mike@af
04-17-2005, 03:26 PM
Just respray the clear after sanding out the fisheyes.

vincentwashere
04-18-2005, 05:41 PM
another question, the paint store told me not to sand base before clear, why shouldnt i? does it make the base lose adhesion?

vincentwashere
04-18-2005, 08:41 PM
ok i just reapplied clear coat. i have runs. can i get away wtih it by sanding it down? and also when do stop clearcoating. becuase i see little holes in the clearcoat. when im clearcoating and when i apply enough. it starts running. AHH this is miserable. help please. thanks -vince

maddermaxx
05-08-2005, 08:40 PM
Sounds.. And looks to me like solvent pop.. what base and what clear are you using? and how long did you let your base/primer cure before applying clear? solvent pop is when something hasent dried or cured enough and the solvent vapors try to escape through your paint.

vincentwashere
05-23-2005, 10:03 PM
Sounds.. And looks to me like solvent pop.. what base and what clear are you using? and how long did you let your base/primer cure before applying clear? solvent pop is when something hasent dried or cured enough and the solvent vapors try to escape through your paint.

im using omni sv ppg clear. and dbc base ppg. i dont know whats wrong it might have been too cold. im going to try it again this week. freaking clearcoat is pissing me off so bad. when i put it on it drys on rough. im guessing i am not spraying close enough. im spraying it like im spraing base coats.

kustom69
02-13-2006, 07:46 PM
It Could Be Solvet Pop Or Check You Air Make Sure You Dont Have Water In You Lines.

Add your comment to this topic!