Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Another Window Problem

jgeorg
04-17-2005, 08:07 AM
I have a 90 and 91 LeSabre with front door window problems. I read past threads and after using 2 cans of white grease to lube the assemblies up I hoped they would go up and down without stopping on the 91. No luck. They move a little quicker but they stop everyother push. So while I got the panels off I see the joy that must be involved in removing some of the funky screw located on the inside of the door. I'm hoping that I can either find out where to get a tool that unscrew the rivet like screw heads. I would also like to know if it's a part of the assembly (ie. motor) or the whole assembly that needs to replaced. I wouldn't mind knowing what the regulator does versus the motor. In fact I wouldn't mind how the whole thing works. And of course where to get cheaper new parts than the OEM. On my 90 the window fell right down. I've read that it's due to a plastic clip that has broken. I'd like to know the fix for this. Any help is appreciated before I go to the wreckers and tear off a door to find out the secret working of this crappy and expensive design. Thanks GM!

mralias
04-17-2005, 07:01 PM
Is it a star like screw or hex? Describe it. I have a 95 and never ran accross any strange screws in the doors. If it is a hex screw (like most dash screws are in the car) you can get a hex driver for cheap cheap at any Job lot or walmart.

buickmastermind
04-17-2005, 11:34 PM
It may be that the switches are bad. Push them down firmly and see if it is any better.

jgeorg
04-18-2005, 01:00 PM
The screw heads can't been seen because they are in the door. They aren't a hex or any other kind of screw I know of, I'm talking from feel.

buickmastermind
04-18-2005, 03:53 PM
The "screws" you are talking about are rivets if they are what is holding the motor to the door. Rivets require a special tool (I think) to be romoved, and I believe that they are non-reuseable.

jgeorg
04-20-2005, 06:43 PM
I think you're right about these screws not being reuseable. All I care about is trying to unscrew them rather than drilling them out and possibly butchering the door. The funny thing is that they are screws because you can see the threads.

formzy
04-21-2005, 07:25 PM
I just read your post and believe I can help. Have worked on these models for years and own a 1990 LeSabre currently. Since you got the door panels off your half-way there. The whole window regulator assembly has to be removed on these cars. They are riveted in with three rivets. If you can find access to a shop manual the pictures will help allot. The way to remove the rivets is drill them out with a 1/4" drill bit after punching the center pin out with a drift. They are all soft aluminum and come out easily. Then you need to reach in and remove the curved regulator asssembly out by twisting and removing the wheel part out of the slot that is attached to the glass.

When you have the regulator out of the door put on a flat surface and drill the three or four 3/16" rivets out the same way as before but with a 3/16" bit. You can re-attach all this with small bolts and lock washers and nuts or invest in a "big Daddy" rivet gun ;a gun capable of using large 1/4" rivets(recommended by GM). You can find one on e-bay or if you have a Harbour freight tools in your area they are only about $15.00.

You can also find the rivets over the internet or on e-bay; along with a motor to fit. I've done the repairs both ways. If you use bolts use 1/4"x20x1/2. The motors are weak(underpowered) and will trip the internal safety breaker when they start to fail. It will go up usually a couple of inches,trip the breaker(overheating) and then cool off and work again in either direction that way. Another failure prone area is the plastic roller wheel cracking or braking in the window slot. I still believe you can buy them at a dealer.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask for more help. Formzy

formzy
04-21-2005, 07:30 PM
Before you remove the regulator, tape up the glass with duct tape to the upper door frame. The glass slides on vertical supports and will slide down when you remove the regulator. You could always slide it back up to position but easier and safer keeping it in place originally.

formzy
04-21-2005, 07:39 PM
Go on e-bay and type in 1990 window motor and a picture of a motor and regulator assembly will come up. You'll see what it looks like and how it works. A tape runs the mechanism that raises and lowers the glass. Hope this helps.

jgeorg
04-21-2005, 08:48 PM
Am I ever glad you read this. You certainly know these cars. Thanks so much for the valuable info. I'll let you know how it works out. You have been an amazing help!

jgeorg
04-22-2005, 03:12 PM
Formzy,

I checked out ebay but there is quite a difference. I saw some used that looked like what I think is in my car. And I saw new units but they don't resemble the used ones. I'd prefer to buy new rather than used. However, looking at the age of the car I'm not willing to pay a fortune.
Any idea why the difference?

formzy
04-23-2005, 12:41 PM
jgeorg,
Just saw your reply today. I believe all you need is the motor. There are two assemblys(motor attached with regulator) on e-bay that would fit your car. Buick used the same set-up from '86-'91.

Click on window motors and match them to your year and model. You should be able to find the motor alone without the regulator assembly.

If you want new I think there are many sources. Rockauto.com(good prices); your local auto parts(sometimes after market which requires spliceing wires) etc. I think though e-bay has new motors too, I need to check.

You should be able to find new for under $40.00

Keep me informed. Formzy

formzy
04-23-2005, 12:47 PM
jegeorg,

In '92 they switched to a bolt-on unit which continues through todays models. You need the "flat" style that riveted on. I just looked on e-bay and see many there. Go new if you can. Just make sure you get the flatter style and not the one with the larger rounder motor assembly.Hope this helps.
Formzy

Add your comment to this topic!