Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

The Power of the IAC

sunio
04-16-2005, 05:40 PM
HEY heres the problem one day my mom was driving her car and all of a sudden it stalled. After towing it home and trying to start it, the car will turn, and roll over but wont go all the way. Im pretty sure the problem isn't the feul system because i know im getting feul delivered to the engine. My dad thought the problem was the timing but we have good compression in the chamber. So here's my query can a poor IAC cause the car not to start. And how am i for sure if my IAC is faulty i already took it out but the spring inside will only compress a little.

mustang302
04-16-2005, 07:32 PM
a timing belt problem won't necessarily affect compression, in most cases it shouldn't affect it at all. I'd pull the timing belt cover off a little and see if the cam is turning when you crank the engine before I went too much further.

Jet-Lee
04-18-2005, 10:32 AM
geez....

Timing belt CAN affeect compression, if it's too advanced or retarded.

If your car just died, out of the blue, I'd head for the timing belt. Just pull the cover off and look at it.

I'm 100% sure that your IAC is NOT that problem. If I'm wrong, I'll eat my shoe.

mustang302
04-18-2005, 02:02 PM
I said it won't necessarily affect compression. What I meant was that he shouldn't rule out any timing belt trouble just because he has good compression. A good compression check (I'm assuming on one cylinder) doesn't substitute for a check of the timing belt.

At least we both agree that he should check it.

Jet-Lee
04-19-2005, 09:04 AM
sorry, the "geez..." was for the assumption of the IAC, not the timing belt. What he can do, instead of pulling the entire valve cover and gettin all oily, is pull the tops nuts off his timing belt cover, pry it back, then use a flashlight to look at his timing gear while someone cranks that engine. BEST thing to do, would be to pull the entire timing cover off, and inspect the teeth on the belt, if it's not broken.

Add your comment to this topic!