Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Masking Tape Q's

aN4rK1
04-16-2005, 01:01 PM
Hey Every1,
i have a few masking tape questions.
1) ive been using painting masking tape, which i got at home hardware, for a while now and it works alright. But Sometimes it leaves a lot of residue. i was wondering would switching to tamiya masking tape be worth it? Will tamiya tape leave residue also?

2) How would i get rid of the residue. Ive heard people use a little bix of polishing compound and that shoudl do it. Is this right?

klutz_100
04-16-2005, 01:15 PM
I seriously recommend that you use ONLY tamiya masking tape.

If you need to cover the whole car to paint just a small area then mask off well around your target area and tape a plastic bag or something over the rest to save tape.

But only stick Tamiya to your model and remember to burnish the edges down well to prevent seeping under the tape

my :2cents:

stevenski

Flea
04-16-2005, 02:33 PM
if you dont have easy access to the tamiya tape ... or not enough money to order some yet ... get a peice of glass ... and take your masking tape and stick it to the glass a time or two then peel it back off ... before sticking it on the model .. that will make it not as sticky and remove most all of the loose adhesive that gets left on the paint ... just make sure to rub the tape good to make sure it is stuck for no seepage when painting ...

i do this with most all paint i do ... even on a full size car ... to save on cleanup time...

primera man
04-17-2005, 05:03 AM
Tamiya tape is the way to go if you want nice clean lines.
To remove the residue...just polish out with a small amount of compound

aN4rK1
04-17-2005, 07:32 PM
Thanks guys, alright will switch asap, tamiya wont have the residue right?

primera man
04-17-2005, 08:14 PM
Thanks guys, alright will switch asap, tamiya wont have the residue right?

Correct

aN4rK1
04-17-2005, 08:59 PM
sweet

klutz_100
04-18-2005, 03:47 AM
not only it doesn't leave residue it DOES leave the paint on the car! :) Just last week I was stupid enough to try and same some money on masking the underside of my 427 cobra by using cheapo painters masking tape to cover off large areas. When i lifted it after spraying it took half teh paint with it :( totally my fault and I should have known better. 3rd scrapped paint job in one week

Sticky Fingers
04-18-2005, 07:37 AM
Sorry to disagree folks but the 40mm wide tamiya tape has been known to leave residue in my experience and it ain't a pleasant job trying to get it off. I've never had a problem with my 10mm tape though. Funny thing is that the 40mm material & glue seems different somehow to the 10mm type (and no, I'm not just talking about the width!!!)

aN4rK1
04-18-2005, 11:03 AM
HAHA! Ya i wasnt gonna buy the 40 mm one, waaaay to big for what i need. Ill get the 10 mm asap. What are some good prices around where you guys live?

mickbench
04-18-2005, 11:04 AM
I'm with Sticky Fingers on this. I've used 40mm tape and it leaves residue behind. I used Compound to remove it, comes off easy with a small amount of fine compound on the tip of cloth covered finger.

Tamiya Tape is good, ONCE you learn how to use it correctly. The trick is to apply light coats to seal the tape first using an airbrush, after this has dried go over with a better coverage coat..

klutz_100
04-19-2005, 02:10 AM
thanks for the interesting "heads up" on the 40mm tape - I've been trying unsuccessfully to get some over here since I heard it is available.

Just to double check - you guys aren't saying that it's totally useless, but that it can leave some residue which CAN be fairly easily removed, right?

stevenski

druid_99
04-19-2005, 03:20 AM
if you dont have easy access to the tamiya tape ... or not enough money to order some yet ... get a peice of glass ... and take your masking tape and stick it to the glass a time or two then peel it back off ... before sticking it on the model .. that will make it not as sticky and remove most all of the loose adhesive that gets left on the paint ... just make sure to rub the tape good to make sure it is stuck for no seepage when painting ...

i do this with most all paint i do ... even on a full size car ... to save on cleanup time...

I use the same method for my models and it works great. The residue of the masking tape on the body can be easily removed using rubbing compound or polish. Tamiya masking tape (every Tamiya products for that matter...) is expensive here.

Sticky Fingers
04-19-2005, 07:59 AM
thanks for the interesting "heads up" on the 40mm tape - I've been trying unsuccessfully to get some over here since I heard it is available.

Just to double check - you guys aren't saying that it's totally useless, but that it can leave some residue which CAN be fairly easily removed, right?

stevenski

You know what, I may never use it again on bodyshell, HOWEVER, it is great for masking windows cos of its width - just one strip needed and it didnt leave residue. I'd advise buying it just for windows alone.

I've only used it once on a bodyshell, but thinkin about it, you could lay strips on glass first to help take the tackiness down. This could help reduce the amount of residue left behind.

If you buy it you'll notice instantly the difference of stickiness between this and the 10mm tape.

Captain Mark
06-04-2005, 03:05 AM
I've had 6mm Tamiya masking tape leave some pretty nasty residue, and also lift paint (although that could be a paint issue).

I agree with the above thought that:

1. Sticking the tape to something clean a few times before applying will significantly reduce the amount of residue left, and

2. Some compound or high grit polishing sandpaper will remove it. The amount of times I've stuffed the paint doing this though...

360spider
06-04-2005, 02:13 PM
You know what, I may never use it again on bodyshell, HOWEVER, it is great for masking windows cos of its width - just one strip needed and it didnt leave residue. I'd advise buying it just for windows alone.

I've only used it once on a bodyshell, but thinkin about it, you could lay strips on glass first to help take the tackiness down. This could help reduce the amount of residue left behind.

If you buy it you'll notice instantly the difference of stickiness between this and the 10mm tape.

Actually, it was created especially for masking windows, so that is why it has different adhesive and made from different material. Have you noticed that 40mm tape is very similar in every way to Tamiya adhesive window masks?

Add your comment to this topic!