Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Let's talk HVAC

BlenderWizard
04-15-2005, 07:32 PM
Ok, my '02 has 28,000 miles on it, and it is just about out of warranty, I am compiling a list of things to have fixed before my warranty runs out. Now, on my HVAC system, when the "recirculate" option is selected, I can still smell things from outside, likesmoke and diesel exhaust. Also, I noticed that if it is in "recirculate" and then I turn the system off, it still blows in air from outside. I don't think this is normal, as NONE of the 9 other cars I have owned have done this. How do the systems in your trucks function? Does it behave like mine? Also, someone here posted that the passenger side rear window on an extended cab let in a lot of air when on the highway. I went to Florida last week, and mine seemed to be doing this, too. Did the dealer take care of this? Thanks!

nineball481
04-15-2005, 07:48 PM
when I took mine to the dealer for the window problem, they told me I had bad seals. They then proceeded to say that the only way to replace the seals is to replace the entire window. Since my warranty does not cover glass the total cost for repair would be $750 , yes three quaters of a thousand dollars, for both sides.
Needless to say I just simply turn the radio up a little louder.

F**K'N dealership..... :cya:

abaird
04-15-2005, 08:01 PM
when I took mine to the dealer for the window problem, they told me I had bad seals. They then proceeded to say that the only way to replace the seals is to replace the entire window. Since my warranty does not cover glass the total cost for repair would be $750 , yes three quaters of a thousand dollars, for both sides.

Thats a heck of a lot of money for window replacement. You should talk to your local body shop.

BlenderWizard
04-15-2005, 08:07 PM
What about your HVAC systems?

bowtieguy
04-16-2005, 08:12 AM
i can have mine turned off completely but still get air blowing in when cruzing along.....of course when i am stopped at a light or something i dont feel it then.mine has done this since day one. i just thought it normal though other vehicles i have owned (including other chevys) when it was turned off no matter if i was cruzing along or at a light i didnt feel air blowing out.

BlenderWizard
04-16-2005, 08:38 AM
i can have mine turned off completely but still get air blowing in when cruzing along.....of course when i am stopped at a light or something i dont feel it then.mine has done this since day one. i just thought it normal though other vehicles i have owned (including other chevys) when it was turned off no matter if i was cruzing along or at a light i didnt feel air blowing out.

Thanks, anyone else?

2003_Z71
04-16-2005, 09:28 AM
I could be wrong but, I do think I remember reading in my owners manual that when the a/c system is off that fresh air from outside will be forced into the cabin. Read your owners manual.

BlenderWizard
04-16-2005, 11:23 AM
Ok, but has anyone noticed fresh air getting in (i.e. smoke or diesel exhaust) when their system is on recirculate?

2003_Z71
04-16-2005, 12:25 PM
Negative.

BlenderWizard
04-16-2005, 10:19 PM

Wait... what warranty do you have? Mine is still under the 3 year/36,000 mile warranty.

chuck16
04-18-2005, 10:17 AM
Listen for a clunk when you switch to Recirc. On mine when I switch to Recirc I can usually hear the door closing on the fresh air intake. You may have a sticky motor for closing the fresh air intake or dirty or something. Have a listen...and see what you hear. RECIRC doesn't work IN DEFROST MODE. Mine will not allow Recirc when in floor/Defrost or just Defrost. So, make sure you test it with the vents or floor settings.

Hope this helps.

nineball481
04-18-2005, 04:47 PM
Wait... what warranty do you have? Mine is still under the 3 year/36,000 mile warranty.

I have the 2nd best......

...make that 1st worst extended warranty.
covers electronics, motors, drivetrain, pumps, and other stuff. The truck is covered to 96,000miles or 3 more years.

I think I will have a magic oil leak around 90,000 where all the oil in the engine disappears long enough to toast the engine, then magically reapears in the block right before I take it to the dealer for a new engine. :naughty:

BlenderWizard
04-18-2005, 08:47 PM
Listen for a clunk when you switch to Recirc. On mine when I switch to Recirc I can usually hear the door closing on the fresh air intake. You may have a sticky motor for closing the fresh air intake or dirty or something. Have a listen...and see what you hear. RECIRC doesn't work IN DEFROST MODE. Mine will not allow Recirc when in floor/Defrost or just Defrost. So, make sure you test it with the vents or floor settings.

Hope this helps.

No clunk, but I can hear some movement behind the dash and the air is much harder when it is on recirculate.

steelydann
04-20-2005, 02:43 PM
No clunk, but I can hear some movement behind the dash and the air is much harder when it is on recirculate.
This is normal it stops the windshield from fogging, but passenger feet freeze in the cold weather (great design huh!!)

rabt
04-21-2005, 04:44 PM
if it is in recirculate mode even with the system off there should be no air entering the cabin

Chevyman15004X4
04-21-2005, 05:52 PM
I have had the same problem only on a 95 chevy truck. I noticed if I wiggled the fan speed knob, it would intermidatly open and close the recirculator motor. I went to the salvage yard and got another control panel and it fixed it.

Also just a thought, on my friend's 01 chevy 1500 truck had that problem and the outside air was coming through the bottom of the windshild where it was not glued right from the factory.

BlenderWizard
04-28-2005, 10:41 AM
I have the 2nd best......

...make that 1st worst extended warranty.
covers electronics, motors, drivetrain, pumps, and other stuff. The truck is covered to 96,000miles or 3 more years.

I think I will have a magic oil leak around 90,000 where all the oil in the engine disappears long enough to toast the engine, then magically reapears in the block right before I take it to the dealer for a new engine. :naughty:

Well, the dealer has a new passenger's side rear window unit for me on order, covered under warranty

Add your comment to this topic!