Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

SES and Cold Air Intake System

spackelman
04-14-2005, 11:24 PM
2002HD, 8.1 with K & N FIPK - 65000mi

2nd time in 1 month the SES light comes on.

Brought to dealer - Mass Flow Air Sensor came up on the scanner both times.

Tech said that there is a service bulletin coming out about the after- market intake systems sending a signal to the computer.

Claims that the oil in the filter gets sucked to the MAF, then senses that there is not enough air coming thru.

Recomends that the filter gets cleaned of the oil and the MAF gets cleaned.

How about that!

I do know that my SES came on twice in one month with the same code.

My air intake is about 1.5 months old.

Hmmmmm.................

kenny-1907
04-15-2005, 12:03 PM
How long after installing the FIPK did the SES light start coming on? Have you cleaned or re-oiled the filter at all since new. I heard about a people having problems becuase they re-oil the filters using too much oil and the result is the same. Could it be possible that the filter was oiled to heavily from factory? I think what the tech told you is acurate. I do not think they are trying to rip you off, but me personally i would have a look at the filter and see if it is possible that it has too much oil on it, and if you have cleaned it and re-oiled it since new it could be that you did not let the oil soak in and dry enough before reinstalling the filter before driving the vehicle.

01Blackerado
04-15-2005, 01:37 PM
YYYYep, hes right the oil will screw all the MAF readings up, and they do often come from the factory with too much oil!!!

spackelman
04-18-2005, 11:05 AM
Just came back camping from the weekend. SES light did come on again, but went off eventually.

The air filter is still factory. I have not cleaned or re-oiled it.

Will clean the maf sensor and will post any results.

01Blackerado
04-18-2005, 11:24 AM
Let us know

nineball481
04-18-2005, 04:52 PM
be careful cleaning that sensor!! It is very delicate. I would recommend a clean cloth and denatured alcohol to do the job. Just be sure not to break it, they cost about $350 to replace.

(A shit load of $$ for a couple resistors)

Add your comment to this topic!