Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Newbie needs help?

pnoiSR20
04-14-2005, 01:47 PM
Okay...this is my very first time i've ever posted on the Chevy forum even though i've been around for a while. So if i piss some of you guys because of my of information regarding Chevy V8s...im sorry.

Im doing this post on behalf of my friend because he is scared to start his own profile and post on AF. So based on wat he has told me this is what he knows:

He drives a 03 Silverado, single cab, Vortech V8. That is wat he supposedly told me. I dont kno if it is a 4.8 or a 5.3 or something of that sort. As far as i know...i think the Vortech engine has a turbo right???

WEll anyways, he already chopped his exhaust system and wats to make more power out of his engine. So wat exactly does he have to do?
He wants to add an intake, remove or change his computer, add a chip, and put a blower. THis is exactly coming from his mouth :banghead:

Is their like any parts you can bolt on to make more hp???

Please help

Vic

nineball481
04-14-2005, 04:48 PM
Depends on the money He is willing to spend.

As far as easy bolt ons there are:
Cold air intakes (K&N) $150-300
Hypertech PP/Superchips tuner $200-300
Nelson tuning (replaces OEM PCM)(no need for the Hype/Superchip) $400
Headers shorties$300, long tube $600?
MAS upgrade $250
Throttle body spacer $100
Under drive pullies $75-250

Not so bolt on upgrades:
6.0 engine $2000-3000
cam $?
Built 4l60e tranny $1500 4l80e $?
STS turbo $4000
built rear end $?
Nitrous $100-?

All prices are VERY approximate don't buy from the first place you see, look for the best price and quality.

I guess my point is, If you can think of it, you can do it to these trucks. It all depends on the $$ your willing to spend and what you want to do with your truck.

The are tons of posts regarding this topic. Just do the searching.

BlenderWizard
04-14-2005, 07:32 PM
As far as i know...i think the Vortech engine has a turbo right???

Nope, it's a naturally aspirated engine.

Faze3
04-15-2005, 11:05 AM
Im doing this post on behalf of my friend because he is scared to start his own profile and post on AF.

Wha...?

pnoiSR20
04-15-2005, 01:51 PM
Thats nineball.....hope this stuff helps my friend out.

Hey Faze3, im posted this because he doesnt want to have his own profile. He just told me wat to say and i just typed it up.

Does anyone here know if a supercharger or a turbo is better for this engine??? And if so...wat type of brands, prices, etc.?

Faze3
04-15-2005, 02:43 PM
Uhm, ok.

As for the Q on SC vs turbo: Having neither and not willing to bolt either to any engine I own I'll defer to those who have and do.

I will take a stab (given the little knowledge I do have on those two) and hanker a guess that a supercharger would give more power. Take that with a grain of salt.

Let your buddy know the guys in the Silverado forum don't bite. We're (for the most part) a little more mature than the other auto forums and the flame threads don't get started up 'round here.

At least, not from what I've seen since I've joined.

If he wants to come and ask questions, he'll get answers. The only way he'd get mistreated is if he steps on any toes.

Add your comment to this topic!