Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Auto dimming mirrors

polarzak
04-14-2005, 12:30 PM
The drivers door mirror on my 2000 LeSaber seems to be stuck in night mode. I understand that mirror, the passenger mirror, and the interior rearview are controlled by one sensor, so it is not causing this problem.
Does anyone know if anything can be checked/done to correct this, or is it simply a dead unit and I will just have to live with a green mirror?
Thanks.

LeBuick
04-14-2005, 04:32 PM
The drivers door mirror on my 2000 LeSaber seems to be stuck in night mode. I understand that mirror, the passenger mirror, and the interior rearview are controlled by one sensor, so it is not causing this problem.
Does anyone know if anything can be checked/done to correct this, or is it simply a dead unit and I will just have to live with a green mirror?
Thanks.

I read somewhere that it is a small voltage that makes it change tint. If that's so then disconnecting the power should remove the tint.

polarzak
04-15-2005, 07:22 AM
I read somewhere that it is a small voltage that makes it change tint. If that's so then disconnecting the power should remove the tint.

Thanks for the reply. That is how they work, and I disconnected the battery for about 15 minutes (experimenting) but it was still green. I know the car has another source of power (diodes or something) to retain power when there is no battery power because all of the electronics (radio presets, etc.) were still there when I reconnected the battery. Maybe I will leave the battery disconnected over night and maybe the diodes will run down. If that happens, then I will find the connection for the mirror and disconnect it. Thanks again.

LeBuick
04-15-2005, 04:30 PM
Thanks for the reply. That is how they work, and I disconnected the battery for about 15 minutes (experimenting) but it was still green. I know the car has another source of power (diodes or something) to retain power when there is no battery power because all of the electronics (radio presets, etc.) were still there when I reconnected the battery. Maybe I will leave the battery disconnected over night and maybe the diodes will run down. If that happens, then I will find the connection for the mirror and disconnect it. Thanks again.

I wonder if the polarity is reversed and you need 12V to make it go clear. I guess I should do some reading on these things...

Add your comment to this topic!