Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Do you believe this

dyna
04-14-2005, 01:22 AM
I think this is the most absurd ticket I have ever seen. I was behind someone one night about 12:30 at night. The light turned green and I waited about 10 seconds and he didn't move so I blew the horn at him. A cruiser was parked across the street, then I saw the blue lights, I thought what did I do wrong, I know I wasn't speeding, he said I'm pulling you over for blowing your horn past midnight. I said yeah and?? he said well thats considered harsh noise pollution. I said well isn't that what the horns for, he said well it's past midnight, you cant blow your horn past midnight. Well enough of that he gave me 100 dollar fine for harsh noise. Imagine that, let me have your thoughts on this one. Im not kidding one bit.
Shane

93rollaracer
04-14-2005, 09:52 AM
Sounds like you got a douche bag cop. Take it to court and explain it to the judge, and he'll probably let you off.

greasyhog
04-14-2005, 11:49 AM
I would think if you told the judge this that you will be let off. Its not like you were using your horn to annoy people. this cop should be suspened for being a duoche bag.

dyna
04-15-2005, 12:08 AM
I did try to fight it and brought it to the judge, he said the officer was right. You made harsh noise after midnight. I guess it's a law where I live.

Shane

streetrcr45
04-15-2005, 12:28 AM
wow..thats crap. i'm now officially pissed just like you

YukiHime
04-21-2005, 05:35 PM
Go find out where the cop lives and blow at his house at the same time...every night...

shawnwilliams
04-26-2005, 01:11 AM
I did try to fight it and brought it to the judge, he said the officer was right. You made harsh noise after midnight. I guess it's a law where I live.

Shane

Dumbest thing ive heard, what if the guy fell asleep or something. And man that's gotta suck for ya. In manitoba if you take your claim to court and its under 200 they just rip it up. It costs to much for court costs and to take the officer from work for the day.

CraigFL
04-26-2005, 07:24 AM
As long as you didn't make it a big deal with your horn you should be able to get it dismissed. Now if you laid on the horn for more than a couple of seconds, you may have some difficulty-- it will then sound like anger/road rage instead of a friendly tap to get someone moving..

dyna
04-26-2005, 07:59 AM
As long as you didn't make it a big deal with your horn you should be able to get it dismissed. Now if you laid on the horn for more than a couple of seconds, you may have some difficulty-- it will then sound like anger/road rage instead of a friendly tap to get someone moving..

Actually it was a quick tap of the horn. The bottom line was the cop said you can't beep your horn past midnight. I've heard of some crazy things but nothing like that before.

drunken monkey
04-26-2005, 08:13 AM
look.
it doesn't matter if it's a tiny beep or a full on honk, if using the horn after midnight is an offence then the officer has a right to uphold it.
sure he can turn a blind eye but in anycase, you have no right to complain when he does his job properly.

anyway,
isn't it explained clearly in your highway code the circumstances under which things like use of horn, flashing headlights and hazrd lights are legally allowed and the circumstances under which they are not?

dyna
04-30-2005, 12:23 AM
I understand what you are saying, but it just doesn't make sense. Thats like saying it's past midnight and you come across a drunk driver, or someone not paying attention on the road. Instead of beeping the horn at him or her, im going to let him crash into me. And I looked and there is no law against beeping your horn past midnight. But he got his way as usual.

drunken monkey
04-30-2005, 10:20 AM
its all about wording and the intent.
in the uk, in residential areas, it is not allowed for you to use your horn after a certain hour.
but
it is also stated elsewhere, the circumstances where use of horn is appropriate.
if you can prove that your use of the horn is appropriate then that over-rides the other 'law'.

your first question should've been, how else could you have alerted the driver in front of the change in road situation i.e lights' have changed'.

anyway.
chalk it up to experience.

RandomTask
04-30-2005, 11:06 AM
A horn's purpose is to get someone else's attention. It clearly looks like the horn was used to get the lead drivers attention. To say you can't use the horn passed midnight is borderline retarded. What if a semi was about to change lanes into you at 1:30 in the morning, you're saying you can't blow your horn to get the truck drivers attention?

dyna
05-05-2005, 11:08 PM
Exactly my point random. However there is a law for harsh noise, which basically means a car with no muffler or exhaust over a certain decibel, or an extrememly loud sound system, which they monitor here in Mass. That would be considered harsh noise. But the cop must have been so bored, because the town pulls in the sidewalks at 5:00 PM. He abused the system just to get his way. Basically the town makes it's own rules anyway.

CraigFL
05-06-2005, 06:42 AM
A horn's purpose is to get someone else's attention....

Actually, a horn's purpose is defined in most places to warn someone of impending danger. Honking at a truck about to cut you off would be legitimate in most cases. Using it to wake someone at a light would not...

drunken monkey
05-06-2005, 08:07 AM
wow... someone actually knows what a horn is used for!
i've also heard it being 'translated' as being "a means to alert other road users of your presence", the intention being that if you were going around a blind turn you would give a little honk to let people know there is a car coming the other way.
same goes for other blind junctions or crests etc etc.

in the given situation, i would say using the horn might even, in extreme circumstances, have the potential to cause an accident.

public
05-06-2005, 11:03 AM
I work in the Emergency Room and after midnight our Ambulances, Fire Rescue, and Police vehicles can only use lights-NO SIRENS. There is an exception for Code 3 emergencies ONLY! These are things like shooting in progress and such. Believe me(I drive an emergency vehicle) the citizens will complain, and you get to discuss it with the captain in the AM. No fun! - the welch echoes so nicely at night :-)

CanaMark
05-10-2005, 03:46 AM
The copper did a power trip on you. It maybe a by-law for the city. But you are allowed to warn people with a courtious honk for danger of oncoming vehicle. Buddy was about to be hit, if he didnt move his vehicle. Anyways give him a 20 dollar gift cert to Dunkin Donuts or something as a bribe. :)

drunken monkey
05-10-2005, 07:32 AM
they were stationary at a set of lights.
how/why would he be in danger of being hit?

Texas_Juvy
06-30-2005, 12:03 AM
UMMMM...maybe im just retarded....but ummm i think falling asleep...at the wheel ..... in traffic is a little worse than than tapping a horn to wake that person up, therefore doing a service to the person sleeping. Hell, i would just go back to that same stoplight where the officer is and just take a nice little snooze...or at least stay at that light for a complete turn. You know...accidentally miss the green light.....

RandomTask
06-30-2005, 02:59 PM
Holy thread resurection batman...

Texas_Juvy
06-30-2005, 03:02 PM
haha...i like to bring things back to life....although i wish I had known before that I had known that the post was alread a month or 2 old without a post....BUT cmon

doublecurious
07-03-2005, 07:06 PM
Where did you get this ticket? Just wondering just to make sure I don't make too much noise while I am driving there, after midnight. What a crock!!

allute
07-04-2005, 02:48 AM
Actually, a horn's purpose is defined in most places to warn someone of impending danger. Honking at a truck about to cut you off would be legitimate in most cases. Using it to wake someone at a light would not...

I disagree. I think the driver a.k.a. moron in this case would be more dangerous than the semi-truck approaching head on. At least the trucker is in command of the vehicle. What would happen if the driver of this car had fallen asleep or was drunk at the wheel. At least the honk would have alerted him that he had fucked up and needed to pull over and sleep it off. I don't know how the Canadian court systems work, but there has got to be some sort of power abuse organization you can contact.

Igovert500
07-06-2005, 03:15 AM
This thread is from April...stop responding to it.

Add your comment to this topic!