Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Rear suspension prob, please help!

ouflyboy20
04-13-2005, 10:55 PM
Hi,
I have been to 3 different mechanics in the area, and none can figure out what is wrong with my 2000 Tacoma Prerunner. When I apply the brakes and begin to come to a complete stop, 1 of 2 things happens. Either, my truck stops normally as it should with no problem, and then when i let off the brake to accelerate again, the rear end drops about 2-3 inches...kind of a dropping thud. Or, during the same scenario, I will be coming to a complete stop, and without letting off the brake, the rear end will drop about 2-3 inches (same type thud) when i finally come to a complete stop. It has done this for about 8 or 9 months now, and its beginning to get pretty annoying.
Any help would be appreciated,
Jesse

erichz
04-14-2005, 11:03 PM
well, when you brake, the front dips and the rear lifts. There isn't much to the rear suspension, except the leafs and the shock absorbers and I couldn't imagine the leafs presenting this problem. This is a shot in the dark, but i would say your shocks are the culprit. Maybe the piston rod is bent or damaged and getting hung up on the shock body. When you accelerate or put the weight back on the rear of the truck, that forces the shock to compress, giving you that abrupt dropping thud you describe. This is a total guess, but its the best i could come up with. Hope you figure it out, if it is the shocks, its a cheap (80 bucks) replacement you could do yourself with a wrench and mallet (sp?).

paulmeister
04-15-2005, 02:05 PM
what it is called is axle rap. i think that it is your shocks. it might not be though. if they are worn out then it is. this is a common problem with lots of trucks. i am guessing that your truck is automatic. axle rap happens when you start to brake, your front tires are slowing down and the rear is still trying to move forward. if you notice when you put on your brake and at the same time you push on the gas. the rear moves up. when you let off the brake the rear end moves down, but without the thud. but its still the same thing. hope that helps.

ouflyboy20
05-01-2005, 09:34 PM
Well....I replaced the rear shocks Saturday...I put Gabriel Ultra's on....and at first i was happy because it wasnt doing it....and then today (after driving around for an hour or so) it started doing it again.....only thing i can figure is that the shocks broke in a little....and then it started again....any more ideas??? im all out!
Also know this....my truck is an automatic and the gear shifter is in the middle console (like all taco's)... anyway, it moves when i go over bumps (i was told that was normal) and it also moves with the "thud" when that happens...
Jesse

Flash75
05-02-2005, 05:03 AM
I'm not sure the shifter should move when going over bumps. If it does there should be very little movement. There will be some spring wrap on any vehicle with leaf spring rear suspension. Has anyone checked the spring to axle u-bolts for tightness? Check for a broken or lose rear transmission mount. Inspect the drive shaft for tightness, check center bearing if it has one for loose mounting and wear. I'm not sure if your truck has four wheel ABS, early trucks had only rear ABS, if that is what you have there may be a rear brake actuator problem. Make sure you don't have a broken spring leaf. Check that the spring shackles are tight. Most of these items can be checked visually. You may need to use a pry bar to check the transmission mount.

Clifton

Add your comment to this topic!