Page updated on 09-23-2017

Turbo'd 350Z

Zgringo
04-13-2005, 11:46 AM
Just got a eMail from STS Turbo's saying there in the process of developing a bolt on kit for the 350Z. Knowing STS, it should be a easy installation.

<SSR>David
04-13-2005, 07:04 PM
A single or twin turbo kit? What size? and what is the max psi it can go up to, i guess what I'm trying to ask is SPECS!! +D

Zgringo
04-13-2005, 09:35 PM
There just in the development stages of it now, but if you PM me I'll give you all I know. If you go to there site please read everything so you understand and then ask questions. I'd be more than happy to help.

http://ststurbo.com/

<SSR>David
04-14-2005, 12:10 AM
Cool thanks for the info! =D

nissan350ztt
05-12-2005, 12:16 AM
Single. It's a bad move by STS IMO with APS and Turbonetics having a single turbo kit that offers better performance and the same reliability for around the same price.

Zgringo
05-12-2005, 05:15 PM
Single. It's a bad move by STS IMO with APS and Turbonetics having a single turbo kit that offers better performance and the same reliability for around the same price.

IMO your opinion has no foundation as neather you nor I have any idea what STS has as it's still in development. So how is it you claim better performance, same reliability for around the same price?

nissan350ztt
05-12-2005, 07:24 PM
IMO your opinion has no foundation as neather you nor I have any idea what STS has as it's still in development. So how is it you claim better performance, same reliability for around the same price?
STS will do what they have done in the past. APS and Turbonetics offer better performance (mounting a turbocharger 4+ feet from the exhaust ports isn't going to help spool time) and the same reliability (APS is holding a record for no blown motors on the 350Z) and around the same price (a little more expensive).

<SSR>David
05-12-2005, 10:04 PM
Is that so? Well what if they do things different this time. You never know. that doesn't mean they can't do it the same way they have always done.

nissan350ztt
05-12-2005, 10:17 PM
Is that so? Well what if they do things different this time. You never know. that doesn't mean they can't do it the same way they have always done.
This tells me that they will do the same thing...
"

About us

Squires Turbo Systems, Inc.

Founded by Rick Squires in 2003 and located in Orem, Utah, STS is revolutionizing the aftermarket performance industry with patented remote mounted turbo systems for cars, trucks and SUVs.

Remote mounted turbo systems are superior to traditional turbo systems and superchargers because they are efficient, less intrusive, easy to install, reliable and generate amazing horsepower and torque.
"

http://www.ststurbo.com/about_sts___

Zgringo
05-15-2005, 02:42 PM
STS will do what they have done in the past. APS and Turbonetics offer better performance (mounting a turbocharger 4+ feet from the exhaust ports isn't going to help spool time) and the same reliability (APS is holding a record for no blown motors on the 350Z) and around the same price (a little more expensive).

Hate to pop your 4+' from the exhaust port dream, but you have any idea what this engine is? Now if I'm not mistaken the turbo is 5' from the exhaust port. Once again personal opinions suck and facts win.
As for APS claiming a record for no blown engines on the 350Z, I think Whipple and STS can make that same claim. I don't know of one case of a blown engine with eather.
I'd also like to add that by mounting the turbo's remote you'll also have a cooler engine bay, cooler oil to and from the turbo, but the big plus is much cooler inlet engine air temp.

http://img153.echo.cx/img153/3930/cosworthturbo9vg.jpg (http://www.imageshack.us)

nissan350ztt
05-15-2005, 10:19 PM
Hate to pop your 4+' from the exhaust port dream, but you have any idea what this engine is? Now if I'm not mistaken the turbo is 5' from the exhaust port. Once again personal opinions suck and facts win.
As for APS claiming a record for no blown engines on the 350Z, I think Whipple and STS can make that same claim. I don't know of one case of a blown engine with eather.
I'd also like to add that by mounting the turbo's remote you'll also have a cooler engine bay, cooler oil to and from the turbo, but the big plus is much cooler inlet engine air temp.

http://img153.echo.cx/img153/3930/cosworthturbo9vg.jpg (http://www.imageshack.us)
STS and Whipple? They don't make anything for the 350Z.

Do I have any idea what engine this is? VQ35DE...3.5 Liter V6, open deck block, forged rods (weak forging though), cast pistons, forged crank. Personal opinions? Ever heard of a compressor map?

Yeah, you'll also have greater lag, less power, and something to worry about when you go over a speed bump...

<SSR>David
05-16-2005, 10:16 PM
Do you have to compressor map? I would like to see it since I am learning how to read one.

nissan350ztt
05-17-2005, 12:30 AM
APS uses a Garrett GT35R turbocharger.
Turbonetics uses a Turbonetics T60-1 turbocharger.

Common automotive knowledge tells you that the larger the turbo, the more lag time/longer it takes to spool the turbine; however, larger turbos have a greater power potential than smaller turbos. The smaller the turbo, the faster it will spool the turbine/the less lag time. (generally this is true, however there are other features that turbocharger companies can come up with to improve spool time on larger turbos and improve power potential on smaller turbos)

Here's a scenario...
Two cars, same exact type.

Two turbocharger, same exact size, one on each car (that are the same type)...mount one right after the exhaust ports, just enough room for a log-style exhaust manifold.

Mount the other further down towards the rear, under the car.

The one closer to the exhaust port, is going to get the most heat and thus have a faster spool time and less lag than the one mounted towards the rear, under the car, which will have more lag and take longer to spool.

Zgringo
05-17-2005, 02:19 AM
STS and Whipple? They don't make anything for the 350Z.

Do I have any idea what engine this is? VQ35DE...3.5 Liter V6, open deck block, forged rods (weak forging though), cast pistons, forged crank. Personal opinions? Ever heard of a compressor map?

Yeah, you'll also have greater lag, less power, and something to worry about when you go over a speed bump...Whipple don't make a kit for a 350Z, but STS just might have one now as we speak.
I'm well aware what a 350Z is and I have a Whipple supercharger installed on mine. It's a custom install.
I'm also aware of compressors maps. All they tell you is the operating range of the compressor.
If the compressor map is sized right for the engine, and the turbine is sized for it's location, guess what? You'll have optimum power and minimal lag.
I'd be worried more about my crankcase and tramsmission than I would be the turbo's.
Also I think STS will offer both single and dual turbo kits.

And please explain the Cosworth engineers mounting a turbo 5' from the exhaust port. Were talking a $80,000 engine and for it's size one of the best.
Kinda blows your theory apart don't it.
Your scenario is correct, but nobody in there right mind would use the same turbo's for 2 totally different applications.
You better stick with buying kits and leave the engineering to those that understand the mechanics of it.

nissan350ztt
05-17-2005, 02:31 AM
Whipple don't make a kit for a 350Z, but STS just might have one now as we speak.
I'm well aware what a 350Z is and I have a Whipple supercharger installed on mine. It's a custom install.
I'm also aware of compressors maps. All they tell you is the operating range of the compressor.
If the compressor map is sized right for the engine, and the turbine is sized for it's location, guess what? You'll have optimum power and minimal lag.
I'd be worried more about my crankcase and tramsmission than I would be the turbo's.
Also I think STS will offer both single and dual turbo kits.

And please explain the Cosworth engineers mounting a turbo 5' from the exhaust port. Were talking a $80,000 engine and for it's size one of the best.
Kinda blows your theory apart don't it.
Sure you do :rolleyes: ...question though, why go to Whipple when they get their superchargers from Eaton?

They tell you boost pressure at a given RPM.

Transmission? APS has a heat shield for that...and Turbonetics isn't too close to the crankshaft...much less NO ONE has had any problem with the crankshaft related to F/I on a 350Z.

Doubt it, i'd like to see how STS runs a twin turbo kit 5' away from the exhaust ports on a car that sits ~5 inches off the ground (give or take a few inches)

Do what? I'm not concerned with what Cosworth does...i'm not even concerned with what STS is doing. I just stated that it is a bad business move for STS when the consumers can pick from the other two options that have better features than the STS will offer. (I guess you don't have common automotive knowledge...read my above post regarding turbo location and spool time)

nissan350ztt
05-17-2005, 02:33 AM
Your scenario is correct, but nobody in there right mind would use the same turbo's for 2 totally different applications.
You better stick with buying kits and leave the engineering to those that understand the mechanics of it.
Not two totally different applications, example was two of the same car.

Eh, you've shown your ignorance in this thread...go do some research before spouting BS please.

Zgringo
05-17-2005, 03:10 AM
Not two totally different applications, example was two of the same car.

Eh, you've shown your ignorance in this thread...go do some research before spouting BS please.

Not 2 totally different applications, WTF you talking about? 1 is mounted on the engine, the other remote. If that isn't different, then what is?

I've got more time doing research on superchargers than you have life on earth. Your above statement is beyond stupidity and show's your lack of anything but personal opinion.
As for Whipple getting there superchargers from Eaton, wrong again. Magnuson does. Whipple machines there own superchargers.

Your not concerned what Cosworth does cause you can't explain why. Don't you think if what you say was true that the best engineers in the world would know this? Why is it your farting around here, when you should be teaching these engineers your theory. Why? Cause your wrong....

Sonny boy, I've been doing this for over 50 years, and trust me, I've forgot more than you'll ever know. So don't you come off and tell me about my ignorance and BS.
You didn't bring a big enough lunch.

nissan350ztt
05-18-2005, 01:19 AM
Not 2 totally different applications, WTF you talking about? 1 is mounted on the engine, the other remote. If that isn't different, then what is?

I've got more time doing research on superchargers than you have life on earth. Your above statement is beyond stupidity and show's your lack of anything but personal opinion.
As for Whipple getting there superchargers from Eaton, wrong again. Magnuson does. Whipple machines there own superchargers.

Your not concerned what Cosworth does cause you can't explain why. Don't you think if what you say was true that the best engineers in the world would know this? Why is it your farting around here, when you should be teaching these engineers your theory. Why? Cause your wrong....

Sonny boy, I've been doing this for over 50 years, and trust me, I've forgot more than you'll ever know. So don't you come off and tell me about my ignorance and BS.
You didn't bring a big enough lunch.
Same turbo, same setup other than where the turbo is mounted. (intercooler, piping from intercooler to TB) Kind of a no-brainer if you have common automotive knowledge that the car with the turbo in the rear will have more lag and take longer to spool.

You sure about that? I do not care for superchargers so you can forgive any information I was wrong about. Just a personal preference, I prefer turbocharged setups.

Ahh, I assumed and was wrong. I figured they got the superchargers where quite a few companies get their superchargers from (roots-type at least).

I figured out what you were talking about regarding Cosworth, but how does it relate to this conversation? The turbo does not look like it's mounted 5' from the exhaust ports...and if it DOES have 5' of piping, it's only because there was not enough room to mount the turbocharger in another place or if they wanted to "show-off" the turbo by mounting it where they did (I have no idea what car that engine is in so I can only speculate).

Keep talking kid...this is amusing. :smile:

<SSR>David
05-18-2005, 01:30 AM
this is out of my league i admit but isn't it sort of too early to be saying all this. I think there has been some research to what you guys are saying but most of it sounds like opinions to me.

I know that if you put the turbo closer to the block the turbo will spool quicker because the exhaust gases will have to travel less to get to the turbo.
But even though someone puts the turbo further away, couldn't they reduce the turbo lag with ball bearings? I mean isn't having ball bearings all about getting less turbo lag? I might be wrong. I am only 18 years old and have been working on NA engines. I am just learning more and more about turbos.

Zgringo
05-18-2005, 02:50 AM
[QUOTE=nissan350ztt]Same turbo, same setup other than where the turbo is mounted. (intercooler, piping from intercooler to TB) Kind of a no-brainer if you have common automotive knowledge that the car with the turbo in the rear will have more lag and take longer to spool.

Lets try this again. Nobody in there right mind would use the same turbo that's mounted next to the engine in the remote position. You size the turbo to the application

[QUOTE=nissan350ztt]Ahh, I assumed and was wrong. I figured they got the superchargers where quite a few companies get their superchargers from (roots-type at least).

There are many root-type supercharger mfg's. And to correct more of your errors, a Whipple isn't a root supercharger, It's a screw type. Big difference.

[QUOTE=350ztt]I figured out what you were talking about regarding Cosworth, but how does it relate to this conversation? The turbo does not look like it's mounted 5' from the exhaust ports...and if it DOES have 5' of piping, it's only because there was not enough room to mount the turbocharger in another place or if they wanted to "show-off" the turbo by mounting it where they did (I have no idea what car that engine is in so I can only speculate).

How does this have anything to do with this conversation? Your the one claiming a remote mounted turbo would have more turbo lag and spool slower.
Your right, it isnt 5', it's 5'4" to be exact.
Let me give you alittle history of this engine.
It's a V8 DOHC 3L turbocharged engine. It developed 900HP and was noted for it's quick acceleration and showed no turbo lag between gears making it excellant in turns and coming out of them. Some of the cars it was used in is the Lotus, McLaren and 12 of the winning cars at the Indy 500. It has the longest winning record in F-1 Grand Prix racing.
And it wasn't mounted there to "show-off" the turbo.
It was mounted there to reduce heat in the engine compartment. (so I guess your speculation was wrong also)

[QUOTE=350ztt]Keep talking kid...this is amusing. :smile:

Yes it is, as you keep showing your lack of knowledge of cars.
Like I said, you didn't bring a big enough lunch Sonny Boy.

nissan350ztt
05-18-2005, 03:06 PM
[QUOTE=nissan350ztt]Same turbo, same setup other than where the turbo is mounted. (intercooler, piping from intercooler to TB) Kind of a no-brainer if you have common automotive knowledge that the car with the turbo in the rear will have more lag and take longer to spool.

Lets try this again. Nobody in there right mind would use the same turbo that's mounted next to the engine in the remote position. You size the turbo to the application

[b]Ahh, but my point is correct, regardless of what anyone would use. I was comparing apples to apples as an example of what I was saying.

[QUOTE=nissan350ztt]Ahh, I assumed and was wrong. I figured they got the superchargers where quite a few companies get their superchargers from (roots-type at least).

There are many root-type supercharger mfg's. And to correct more of your errors, a Whipple isn't a root supercharger, It's a screw type. Big difference.

[QUOTE=350ztt]I figured out what you were talking about regarding Cosworth, but how does it relate to this conversation? The turbo does not look like it's mounted 5' from the exhaust ports...and if it DOES have 5' of piping, it's only because there was not enough room to mount the turbocharger in another place or if they wanted to "show-off" the turbo by mounting it where they did (I have no idea what car that engine is in so I can only speculate).

How does this have anything to do with this conversation? Your the one claiming a remote mounted turbo would have more turbo lag and spool slower.
Your right, it isnt 5', it's 5'4" to be exact.
Let me give you alittle history of this engine.
It's a V8 DOHC 3L turbocharged engine. It developed 900HP and was noted for it's quick acceleration and showed no turbo lag between gears making it excellant in turns and coming out of them. Some of the cars it was used in is the Lotus, McLaren and 12 of the winning cars at the Indy 500. It has the longest winning record in F-1 Grand Prix racing.
And it wasn't mounted there to "show-off" the turbo.
It was mounted there to reduce heat in the engine compartment. (so I guess your speculation was wrong also)

I never said that mounting a turbo in the rear wouldn't reduce heat, nor that mounting a turbo closer to the exhaust ports WOULDN'T produce more heat. Can you not comprehend what I type?

[QUOTE=350ztt]Keep talking kid...this is amusing. :smile:

Yes it is, as you keep showing your lack of knowledge of cars.
Like I said, you didn't bring a big enough lunch Sonny Boy.
Yes, it is amusing. You claiming to be older, yet you keep making immature comments and obviously can't comprehend a full post that I make.

Reply if you want, i'm done with this. (i'll be the bigger man since you won't)

nissan350ztt
05-18-2005, 03:19 PM
this is out of my league i admit but isn't it sort of too early to be saying all this. I think there has been some research to what you guys are saying but most of it sounds like opinions to me.

I know that if you put the turbo closer to the block the turbo will spool quicker because the exhaust gases will have to travel less to get to the turbo.
But even though someone puts the turbo further away, couldn't they reduce the turbo lag with ball bearings? I mean isn't having ball bearings all about getting less turbo lag? I might be wrong. I am only 18 years old and have been working on NA engines. I am just learning more and more about turbos.
Which is why I said...
"Common automotive knowledge tells you that the larger the turbo, the more lag time/longer it takes to spool the turbine; however, larger turbos have a greater power potential than smaller turbos. The smaller the turbo, the faster it will spool the turbine/the less lag time. (generally this is true, however there are other features that turbocharger companies can come up with to improve spool time on larger turbos and improve power potential on smaller turbos)]"

An example of one that doesn't have alot of features is a sleeve-bearing (floating metal) Mitsubishi TD05H-18G.

Zgringo
05-18-2005, 05:21 PM
Yes, it is amusing. You claiming to be older, yet you keep making immature comments and obviously can't comprehend a full post that I make.

Reply if you want, i'm done with this. (i'll be the bigger man since you won't)

Lets pick all you BS apart one step at a time, starting from here and working back "Sonny".
Fact. I am older.

Fact. I haven't made one statement that wasn't fact.

Fact. I comprehend your full posts quite well.

Fact. Your not a bigger man but just a little boy wishing he was a man.

Fact. Your statement, "(mounting a turbocharger 4+ feet from the exhaust ports isn't going to help spool time)" it isn't going to hurt it if the turbo is sized properly, and if you go back and review the information I've provided on the Ford Cosworth and understand it you'll know this statement is wrong.

Fact. You haven't proven anything you've said with any facts other than a statement, "it's common automotive knowledge". Sorry, but that don't fly.

Finally, you can't be a bigger man than me, cause you've proven your inability to accept facts and total lack of understanding, and I'm not sure if your brain dead, if so I'm sorry for what ever caused it, if your retarded, if thats the problem, I spend some of my free time working with these kids and I might be able to get you some help, or your just plain stupid. Now this is something out of my ability to assist with.
Have a nice day and remember, next time bring a big lunch.

<SSR>David
05-19-2005, 01:29 AM
guys i didn't make this thread so that you guys can argue about who the bigger man is. can't we just discuss this like grown people. I mean im only 18 and I am kind of young to say this but lets please stop arguing and talk about automotive things such as a turbo for the 350z and such like sensible people. I really hate it when people argue in a forum. Zgringo sir, you do know a lot about turbo chargers and superchargers but, there is always someone that has more knowledge then you. I'm not saying that what your saying is wrong. I have no clue if it is wrong or not, but calling someone stupid or a retard as you did shows me that you didn't grow up much also. I don't know if both of you gentlemen are right or wrong. There is probably many facts in the replys that both of you guys have put. But please lets keep this nice and clean, and don't put each other down. I didn't join this forum to hear two men argue about who is right and wrong. I joined this forum to be able to talk to other people about my love of cars especially to my 350z. And I also joined this forum to learn more and maybe help some people with my small experience that I had with NA engines. I made this thread because I am still looking for a turbocharger that I can install in my 350z and make some powerful horsepower and torque safely. I know there are many people that know so much more about cars and turbochargers than I do and I believe some of thoes people to be writing in this forum. As I said above lets keep this forum clean, im not the admin but putting another person down doesn't seem like the right way to go.

Zgringo
05-19-2005, 05:56 AM
<SSR>David, First of your right. But I started this thread to let everyone know that STS was in the development of a remote kit for the 350Z. Then STS and me were attacted buy this person. I assure you, there's very little fact in his statements.
I wasn't putting him down. If he has a handycap then I understand as it appears he has a problem with facts.
I understand you wanting to find facts and not having to putup with this garbage.
It seems everyplace I post this person has to become a trouble maker. I'd just like to know what his problem is.

<SSR>David
05-20-2005, 01:10 AM
ic yes if that is the case I would also like to know, and I would like to know why he is putting non facts in threads. If he does not know why does he act like he does? o.0 sigh...

nissan350ztt
05-20-2005, 08:04 PM
ic yes if that is the case I would also like to know, and I would like to know why he is putting non facts in threads. If he does not know why does he act like he does? o.0 sigh...
This guy has something against me, not sure what it is, or if he's just having a hard time in his personal life. I don't really care, I just gave my opinion, he tried to prove it wrong instead of disagreeing with me.

So to review...
My opinion is that STS is making a bad business move my making a kit for the 350Z. That's it, I already explained why, there are plenty of other cars they could make a kit for, where their style of engineering kits could be applied and work fine.

Zgringo
05-20-2005, 09:05 PM
<SSR>David,
The biggest enemy to a car and it's engine is heat. Turbo are great but creat tremendous heat in the engine bay. This heat attacts wiring, connectors, engine oil, seals and the engine itself. STS has found a way to eliminate this heat while keeping the benefits of the turbo, thats by mounting the turbo's outside the engine bay.

Add your comment to this topic!