Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Steering shakes when i reach speed of 60 to 70 Miles/hr

gk_setty
04-12-2005, 03:09 PM
Hi,

I have a Honda Accord LX 1995 model which has 108k miles on it.

Last year i had a 90k service done and replaced timing belt for my car.

Service station also replaced some parts of wheel that holds or touches rotors.. I am not sure about the name of that parts. I experienced gradually..that my steering and the whole vehicle vibarates so badly when i reach a speed of 55miles/hr to 65 miles/hr. It happens when only during that range of speed and not below 55miles/hr and above 65miles/hr.

I am not sure why..

Some mechanic suggested that i need to replace rotors. But, I guess steering vibration and vehicle vibration should have happened for all speed ranges..

I would appreciate if somebody knows about this problem and drop few lines about what could be the problem.

Thanks in advance.
Gopal.

lorunner
04-12-2005, 04:27 PM
well if your not braking when it vibrates i would say a tire balance is needed. the reason being is that once you reach a certain speed the vibration comes into effect if you drive past that speed and it starts to go away its a balance. If its while braking than i could see rotors.

Igovert500
04-12-2005, 06:18 PM
It can be the rotors, even if it occurs without braking...but it would be even more noticeable while braking if it is warped rotors. It could be that you need an alignment, or it could be that a small balancing weight fell off your wheel, and that it simply only needs to be balanced again....or it could be your wheel bearings starting to go.

I suggest you take it to the local place that does the cheapest tire mounting/balancing and asking them to re-balance it. See if that helps.

If that doesn't work, you could try an alignment.

If it were the rotors, they would vibrate more as I said while braking

To test if it is the bearings. With the car parked, grab the top of the tire and shake it, if you can pull it towards and away from you (not forwards backwards, but out from car and back in towards car) than it is probably the bearings.

gk_setty
04-12-2005, 07:38 PM
Thanks a lot for your replies guys.

007COUPE
05-10-2005, 11:09 PM
My girlfriend has a nissan and experienced the exact same thing. Come to find out, it was a tire that was about so split in half. Check the tire tread.

jeffcoslacker
05-11-2005, 07:00 AM
Most tire defects and balance issues are most obvious at 50-60 mph. I always suspect that first when a problem is noticed specifically in that range.

Warped rotors will on occaision cause a similar shimmy at highway speeds, but as stated violent shaking/pulsation in pedal and steering would happen on braking from those speeds.

Bad struts, tie rod ends, ball joints, bushings and alignment can cause this too, but start with the tires. If any of the suspension is the cause of a shimmy or wheel hop, there is almost always a tell-tale pattern of wear on the tires from it.

ProMan
05-11-2005, 08:22 AM
The most possible cause is the wheel balance. They probably hit the resonance frequency at that speed range and cause the chatter.

YoBoyThacker
05-11-2005, 08:37 PM
Bad/Worn motor mounts??? Cause the car to vibrate frequently.

Add your comment to this topic!