Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Mirror Replacement.

darthanubis
04-12-2005, 01:21 PM
When I bought my '94 88, the passenger mirror was knocked off. I bought an unfinished one, and was wondering if someone here could write a short piece on how to installed this electric mirror wihtout anyone being able ot tell I took the upholtry off the door and put it back. I'm worried the door panel will not fit properly if I touch it.
Also the mirror is black and the car is not.

diesel1962
04-15-2005, 09:23 AM
Hi.First paint the mirror assembley to match your cars color(if you wish).Second,Roll the window down on the door you are working on.There two screws that you will have to remove at the interior grabe handle.They are Torx screws.Then get a screwdriver,Or another flat tool,And carefully pry the panel off the door(Start from the bottom first).Once the panel is removed,Feel with your hand in the upper front of the door for two small attachment nuts.They are 10mm(It helps to have small hands,As this is a very cramped area to work in).Remove nuts and rest of broken mirror,Unplug wire for power mirror.Install new mirror,And put door panel back on.Do not worry about damageing door panel they come off fairly easy.I had to replace my mirror twice.One was deer ran into car,Second time was from vandalism,(pissed me off!!)Have fun,And good luck!! Diesel 1962

darthanubis
04-16-2005, 06:19 PM
Thats for your reply. I tried what you have here, and it appears these directions are way short of what actually needs to happen.

I broke two tabs from the little plastice that has to be removed behind the door handle. After I got the door panel off I was greeted by a plastic sheet covering the inside of the door. From this point the mounting bolts for the mirror are not visible nor accessible. It seems the door has to come completely apart?!? Which does not appear to be a at home job?

Any reply before I pay $40 for some "shop" to do it please?

diesel1962
04-16-2005, 09:04 PM
Hello.The door does not have to be torn apart.Did you roll the window down? I told you that the mounting bolts are in a very cramped area.You can get a 10mm wrench on the mounting nuts.You will have to get your hand up into the front upper part of the door.You will not be able to see the nut that holds the mirror.You have to feel around for it.The reason for rolling the window down,Is that the window lift regulator will be in your way,Making it more difficult to get access to the mirror mounting nuts.The plastic tabs that broke,Are they the ones that attach the door panel to the door?IF they are you can buy new ones at any auto parts store.The plastic sheet you saw is for sound insulation.I use duct tape to reinstall the plastic sheet.I know thoes mount nuts are in a bad spot,Just keep trying.Let me know how things turn out...Diesel 1962

darthanubis
04-17-2005, 09:44 AM
You will have to get your hand up into the front upper part of the door.

This is the part that I find almost impossible because I don't see any place wide enough to stick my hand.

If the door does not have to come apart, does the plastic have to come off?

I did roll the window down. And the tabs that broke where the small ones for the small panel behind the door locks and handle. Nothing to worry about yet.

But I don't see how I'm suppossed to get my whole hand in there? Much less a tool?

I'm going back out there to try again. Wish my digi camera was operational.

darthanubis
04-17-2005, 03:04 PM
I did it!

I had to remove the top plastice part and stick my hand in from both ends of the inside of the door. I could only reach one nut with my tool to tighten. The nut in the front seems secure for now. The $33 mirror does not sit flush has it seems the stems are too long. The mirro will not move via remote up and down, as it seems very stiff. So stiff, that it blew the fuse trying to get it to move. It works left and right though.

And the paint matches like factory.
Thanks for the help man.

diesel1962
04-17-2005, 03:43 PM
Hello! Iam glad it was a success.About the mirror not fitting flush with the door,Did you reinstall the plastic spacer that goes between the mirror base and the door? Check your old mirror to see if it is still on there.About mirror operating poorly,Use some silicone lubercant.Do not use stuff like WD-40,As it may damage the plastic parts inside the mirror.Anyways,I am glad that I could be of help.I learned to take apart cars back in the 70s when my Dad and his brother in law owned a junkyard.Have a goo day..Diesel 1962

Add your comment to this topic!