Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

spark plug wire order

TecmoEJ
04-12-2005, 10:30 AM
i wanted to change the sparkplugs on my 1994 Buick Century V6 just because I never have in 5 yrs.

There are 3 spark plugs in the rear of the engine block and 3 in the front.

I pulled all 3 wires on the side closest to the front of the car and now I do not know the proper order? I've tried a few combinations and the engine sounds terrible.

Please help me get this in the right order before I break something! The cables are marked 2, 4, and 6. thx

tman
04-12-2005, 02:31 PM
look at the engine and locate the serpentine belt. This is the front of the motor. cylinders are numbered from the front of the engine to the rear(where the transmission attatches. From the front, it's 2,4,6

Edit- did you replace the wires? It is still runs rough, then youve probably got bad wires.

TecmoEJ
04-12-2005, 03:02 PM
2-4-6 is what i thought it was. i never was able to change the sparkplugs. I just put the cables back on so I can go back to the store for a deep socket.

Hopefully it's the wires. There was some corrosion present when I pulled them out. Took a little force to pry em loose.

Prob is the wires, I bet they're the original wires on there now. thx for help

tman
04-12-2005, 06:06 PM
There ought to be a date stamped onto the wires.

If there was corrosion inside the boots on the cable, they definately need replacement.

jibbijib
04-12-2005, 06:46 PM
May i suggest when you do your next spark plug change, you take one wire off, replace the plug and wire, then take the next one off, and repeat for each plug and wire. It might help you to get the proper firing order when you replace the wires. Should save you confusion.

tman
04-12-2005, 08:23 PM
:1:

That exactly how I do it.

TecmoEJ
04-12-2005, 11:35 PM
wire change isn't a fix. i'm a total noob on chaning spark plugs.

this is really confusing. My book labels the front of the block (side closest to radiator) as 1-3-5. The wires I disconnected are labeled as 2-4-6 and the coil pack numbering says 2-4-6 also? I can't imagine the numbering on the wires being wrong. Maybe my book is wrong? It's a Haynes book that lists several Buick years/models.

From the beginning I think I've connected these wires correctly. The coil packs are labeled and I matched them correctly from the start. Looks that way to me.

The car sure sounds terrible. The engine revs all high when I start it then starts choking when it trys to idle. It has the hardest time trying to idle. Just pressing on the gas a little causes the engine to rev all high. Is there a idle-lever or something I bumped? Or does this sound like wires being mixed up?

TecmoEJ
04-13-2005, 10:46 AM
My coil pack has all the wire connections in a line as 146325. Can anyone verify that the numbers on my coil pack are correct?

Add your comment to this topic!