Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Steering Wheel Removal - 2000 Lt

abowmat
04-12-2005, 07:08 AM
Regarding my 2000 Blazer LT.

Upon replacing the steering gear, the steering wheel was no longer in straight as the vehicle was going straight. To correct I began the procedure required to pull the steering wheel. After unplugging he Airbag system, I thought that the rest would be easy, but I could not figure out how to get the center of my steering wheel off. My Chilton manual goes up to a 1999 model and explains depressing multiple leaf spring clips by pushing a screwdriver through holes in the back of the steering wheel. My steering wheel only has two holes. I did put a screwdriver into the hole, but I could not feel anything that felt like a spring. Also, I did notice a small torx head at the side of the hole. I did not want to remove them without knowing what it would do, but on a side note, there was very little room to get a driver on the screw. This is probably extremely easy, but I am at a loss.

Help.

xtrememeasures10
04-12-2005, 07:18 AM
Regarding my 2000 Blazer LT.

Upon replacing the steering gear, the steering wheel was no longer in straight as the vehicle was going straight. To correct I began the procedure required to pull the steering wheel. After unplugging he Airbag system, I thought that the rest would be easy, but I could not figure out how to get the center of my steering wheel off. My Chilton manual goes up to a 1999 model and explains depressing multiple leaf spring clips by pushing a screwdriver through holes in the back of the steering wheel. My steering wheel only has two holes. I did put a screwdriver into the hole, but I could not feel anything that felt like a spring. Also, I did notice a small torx head at the side of the hole. I did not want to remove them without knowing what it would do, but on a side note, there was very little room to get a driver on the screw. This is probably extremely easy, but I am at a loss.

Help.

The airbag removal was the easy part. My s 10 required a sterring wheel puller tool. So i opted not to fix my issue myself. couldnt tell you how to do it but ive heard its a pain in the ass. google it or something.

rlith
04-12-2005, 07:22 AM
Correct, new steering wheels only have 2 holes... Use 1/4 flat blade screwdriver, insert till it stops then twist 90 degrees and pull on that side of the air bag. Repeat procedure for the other side. That said, get get the alignment redone. Changing your steeringbox has off set it. They will realign the steering wheel when they do it.

Flashbac29
04-12-2005, 09:18 AM
As an addition to Rlith's statement... having the alignment redone is the only way of correcting your off-center steering wheel. The Steering wheel hub is keyed so there is no way of recentering the wheel by that means.

rlith
04-12-2005, 09:39 AM
As an addition to Rlith's statement... having the alignment redone is the only way of correcting your off-center steering wheel. The Steering wheel hub is keyed so there is no way of recentering the wheel by that means.

I've never seen a key... Even when I changed steering wheels (2000+ wheel and bag) I had to redo it... (put it on upside down, lol)

Flashbac29
04-12-2005, 10:12 AM
On both the 96 GMC Jimmy 2wd & 2000 Blazer 2wd that I've pulled the steering wheel on the shaft has one set of "teeth" that is wider (on top for sure, possibly on bottom also). This is matched on the stock steering wheels and prevents installation of the wheel at any off set,,, except maybe a complete 180 degree installation... hmm.

MIDDEN1
10-09-2005, 03:27 PM
Correct, new steering wheels only have 2 holes... Use 1/4 flat blade screwdriver, insert till it stops then twist 90 degrees and pull on that side of the air bag. Repeat procedure for the other side. That said, get get the alignment redone. Changing your steeringbox has off set it. They will realign the steering wheel when they do it.

yes thier are only 2 rectangular slots aprox 3/8x1.0 you will see
a tork screw in thier toward top no need to remove.i just pushed a small flat tip screwdriver to bottom where thier is a spring aprox 1/8 in
dia. just turn 90 degrees and pull airbag should pull up,repeat on other
side very easy.if in dought use a mirror and light.to locate spring.
i pulled my air bag to fix horn found loose wire,works fine now.i just did
this as stated above :naughty:

Add your comment to this topic!