Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

XM satalite users...???

tsunamiHB
04-03-2002, 01:20 PM
I need the scoop...
is the quality near CD quality.
does it still have the bass response...
is it worth the 9.99 / month fee.
any other info would be helpful

GSteg
04-03-2002, 01:30 PM
if you have the equipment already, by all means go ahead. you'll get CD digital quality sound instead of normal AM/FM sound. bass response is CD-like quality. $10 a month is a good deal. if you don't have the equipment...ehh..u might wanna research on it more because the equpiment is an upward of $300. now ask yourself this

if you have the XM unit already:
"would i spend an upward of $300 for the equipment and $10 a month for CD quality sound through my radio? or would i go back to plain burning MP3s on my PC? :D :p

if you already have the XM equipent:
"would i spend $10 a month to get Digital music through my radio?

the most fusterating part of this XM thingy is if you don't have the stuff. you gotta buy the antenna, the reciever, yaddy yaddy ya... if you're willing to go through the process. GO AHEAD. sorry if i don't make sense. i haven't had breakfast yet.:(

tsunamiHB
04-03-2002, 03:42 PM
another question..... i know alot of the channels are supposed to be commercial free. when a song is played do they tell you who the artist was...? or is it displayed on the HU. I hate it when the radio plays 4 songs in a row and doesn't tell you who any of them were...

GSteg
04-03-2002, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by tsunamiHB
another question..... i know alot of the channels are supposed to be commercial free. when a song is played do they tell you who the artist was...? or is it displayed on the HU. I hate it when the radio plays 4 songs in a row and doesn't tell you who any of them were...

i think it does show you what song they're playing. don't quote me on that though. i went to circuit city once and they had an alpine on an XM station and it did display the title and artist of the song. it might not apply to all station though.

xivera
04-03-2002, 07:47 PM
I just want to clear up something...
XM is not totally commercial-free. There I said it... but, it is FAR LESS frequent than AM/FM radio ads.

tsunamiHB
04-04-2002, 03:13 PM
well i talked to a local shop and they quoted me about $900.00...!!!

Alpine CDA 7894.............................................. ................450.00
Alpine TUA-T020XM AiNet XM Radio Tuner Module...........280.00
XM Radio Antenna........................................... ................100.00
HU install........................................... ................................35.00
XM install........................................... ................................35.00

I'm still considering it....

GSteg
04-04-2002, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by tsunamiHB
well i talked to a local shop and they quoted me about $900.00...!!!

Alpine CDA 7894.............................................. ................450.00
Alpine TUA-T020XM AiNet XM Radio Tuner Module...........280.00
XM Radio Antenna........................................... ................100.00
HU install........................................... ................................35.00
XM install........................................... ................................35.00

I'm still considering it....

told you it's going to be rough the first time. i think you should install the HU by yourself. save youself 35 bucks.

sparq
04-04-2002, 06:45 PM
Dunno why you would spend $900+ to get XM...

Last years DEHP3300 is XM Ready, and would cost you like $200 -- and I just happen to be able to get my hands on a new one for yah :p

But if you want the Alpine go ahead and spend the dough -- its your cash :D

SuperJober07
04-04-2002, 11:58 PM
Ok here's the scoop guys...

XM is 100 channels, 70 music, 30 News & talk stations
** THIRTY SIX ** stations are commercial free
And it indeed is CD quality. Go to your local CC/BB and hear for yourself.

I'm running:
Alpine 7893 w/ the Alpine TUA something XM Tuner and it sounds awesome.

Also:
of the 100 channels... some are actually syndicated FM stations.. like maybe 10 of em... those dont display song names..

but the true XM stations.. do show Artist & song titles.

1 more note:
the stations that do have commericals.. on average (quote XM) have 2 minutes of commericals per hour.. as opposed to 15 on AM/FM

Alrighty guys... enjoy

Mike Tieson
04-05-2002, 12:57 AM
I dont know about any other product,but you also need the reciever which isjust a bit smaller than an amp is. It took me 30 mins to install an IM including the antanae and it never even neared 900 bux, maybe 350-400 tops

tsunamiHB
04-05-2002, 09:10 AM
OK OK OK....

the XM is only 380.....k

in the list i opted for a new reciever because i have a sony POS....

thats why the total is so hi because i wanted the Alpine MP3 player too....

900 includes the new HU.... and all those prices are quoted as MSRP from alpine...

Add your comment to this topic!