How to get bad smell out of car?

Zachp911
04-11-2005, 08:22 PM
I have a '95 Galant that I'm selling and have a few people interested, but before I sell it I need to clean it up. The interior smells horrible, like pesticide chemical (used as a work car), and I need to know how to get that smell out of the car for good. Tell me your reccomendations.

potsdamcartel
04-11-2005, 08:48 PM
courtesy some guy at http://store.yahoo.com/autopia/how-to.html :

"Removing Odors
I get a lot of questions about removing smells. The most common questions are "How do I remove the smell of cigarette smoke?" and "My child vomited. How do I get rid of the smell?" Most bad smells in cars are organic (e.g., food, urine, vomit, tobacco, grass, mold, mildew, etc.). I recently had a professional detailer tell me a client had spilled fish in his car, which I know from experience is not pleasant. As a teen I hid an open can of sardines under the seat of a neighbor's car. They had to sell the car to get rid of the smell!

Odor problems are pretty easy to take care of with some of the new cleaners on the market. If you need something in a hurry, try "Kids & Pets Brand Stain & Odor Remover" by Paramount Chemical Specialties. This cleaner, and others like it, use enzymes, a surfactant and denatured alcohol to remove stains and kill odors. The enzymes kill odors in their tracks by stopping the organic material from decomposing. So, when your kid or the dog throws up all over the backseat, spray Kids & Pets Brand Stain & Odor Remover, and the mess and stain will go away. Don't use it, and you'll be smelling that odor for a long time. The problem with this cleaner is that it is heavily perfumed. I don't recommend it for more than a localized problem, such as vomit or urine.

Tobacco smoke is one of the most difficult smells to remove from a car. The smoke permeates everything, including the foam rubber used in seat cushions. You can successfully remove most of the tobacco smell by thoroughly shampooing the carpets, upholstery and headliner. After cleaning thoroughly, use Wurth Odor Neutralizer to complete the job.

Air Conditioner Odors
Another common source of interior car odors is the air conditioning (A/C) system. That foul smell from your car's A/C is not only offensive, but it can also be bad for you. The air entering into your car passes over the A/C evaporator (the cooling element). When you operate your car's A/C, water condenses around the evaporator coils. The moisture on the evaporator makes it a magnet for air pollutants, including dust, dirt, grime, pollen, spores and germs. These pollutants form bacteria, dust mites and fungi, which all add up to create the bad smell that often occurs in A/C systems.

Most luxury cars now offer filter canisters to remove pollutants from the air entering the car. However, the smell may still remain. In any case, it's still a good idea to treat your car's A/C each year with a quality A/C and heating system cleaner. The product I prefer is Wurth A/C & Heating System Cleaner. Simply spray Wurth A/C & Heating System Cleaner into the exterior air intake vents and the inside heat and A/C vents. It eliminates odors caused by bacteria, fungi, mildew and stagnant water."

i would say the obvious answer and say try fabreeze, but that might not be strong enough.
in my opinion, you should just clean/scrub/shampoo all of the interior. just clean the dash, scrub the seiling and remove any removable fabric item(floor mats, seat covers, etc.) you can and wash it.

Zachp911
04-11-2005, 09:22 PM
Fabreeze wont do anything for the smell, its not strong enough. I guess I will try to shampoo and scrub all the interior and take it from there. Thanks for the help.

shawnwilliams
04-14-2005, 03:53 PM
check a hardeware store they have stuff that removes all odors in minutes and it cheap 2 like 10$. The bottle worked in my car, my hockey bag and entire basement, its cheap and it works really well. I think it called ATMOSKLEAR. might want to check it out

dmelling
05-11-2005, 01:53 AM
I had a problem with a smell in the carpet, bought 12 boxes of baking soda and dumped all over carpet (makes a mess if the carpet is damp) stirred all around and let it sit for 2 days, and repeated. All the smells are gone now....good luck!

Injunblue
03-31-2009, 10:32 AM
I have a car that has been accidently exposed to bug bomb. My girl friend left it in her garage while the house was bug bombed and the windows were cracked. We can not get the smell out of the interior. Any ideas on how to remove the odors?

rdeckert
04-19-2009, 11:46 PM
Pour vinegar into a good sized cup, place it wherever is a level surface in your car, let it sit at least overnight. The longer the better though. It should suck the smell right up. It worked to get the cigarette smoke out of my car.

freude09
04-20-2009, 10:50 PM
vinegar really does work in order to get rid of the stinky smell of the car... that should do it...

bradley.schneider
05-26-2009, 12:21 PM
Some odors seem impossible to get rid of, but there are a few tricks that are extremely effective. After the mess has been cleaned and dried, set an open bag of charcoal in the car. It is considered to be one of the best natural products to get rid of odors. Another household item that works great against stained odor is white vinegar. Set a bowl of white vinegar in your car and let it sit undisturbed. Let me know if this helps...

drivebye
05-26-2009, 12:39 PM
I have had good success using fabric softener sheets placed under the seats.

Another option we used once in our office when the AC unit backed up was some kind of tub type product. I can't remember the name but we got them at Home Depot. We explained what happened and the person there told us about them. Basically you open them up and sit them on the carpet. It took about three days but you can't smell the mildew anymore.

Good Luck.

R13sWife
06-21-2009, 12:42 AM
I know many people use vinegar to remove smells, but what do you use when its a vinegar smell that you want to remove.

A huge container of coleslaw spilled in my car and I didn't realize until 2 days later. By that time, most of the vinegar/juices were dried into my back seat. How can I get rid of this smell? Its getting worse now that its summer. I already steam cleaned it, but it didn't really work. Any tips would be appreciated.

DMC12
12-22-2009, 02:09 PM
Bomb the car with a whole can of lysol and leave the windows rolled up several hours, maybe 24 hours.
This works well. I do it to every car I buy (that has odor).

JunkCarNation
01-07-2010, 07:00 PM
First you wanna clean out the trash. maybe you'll find an old tuna sandwich under a seat. then you'll shampoo the entire interior. then keep the windows open a crack overnight (check the weather first). then drive around with all the windows open completely and turn the ac on full blast . worked for me.

oldblu65
10-20-2011, 06:33 PM
Pour vinegar into a good sized cup, place it wherever is a level surface in your car, let it sit at least overnight. The longer the better though. It should suck the smell right up. It worked to get the cigarette smoke out of my car.
Have to agree on the vinegar but suggest putting it in a large bowl instead of a cup . The reason being the bowl will expose a much larger surface area of the vinegar to the inside air thus treating the air ( and smell ) quicker . Just make sure you don't jump in the vehicle and drive off with the bowl still inside ! Will make a big mess ! Also , think the baking soda will do a good job as well but the vinegar is cheaper and when the bowl is removed , you are done ! With the baking soda , you'll have to vacuum out the vehicle , if you sprinkled it around on the floor as opposed to sitting the box ( es ) in the vehicle , when finished .

douglasgerlach112
10-20-2011, 10:25 PM
Just clean the entire car ... Used some vinegar it really works for me... And some air freshener.. :smooch:

zivt
10-21-2011, 11:57 AM
u can go for some sourt of exhaust or else use some sought of freshners to get some good smell

JJ Henry
11-17-2011, 08:53 PM
The only product that I have found to work 100% of the time is Auto Shocker. It's like a odor-eliminating fumigation bomb for the car. It's totally Eco-friendly so no harsh chemicals, but I have to tell you guys this stuff really works. You can get it at http://www.biocidesystems.com/auto3hslanding.html

cardecorindia
12-12-2011, 05:37 AM
The best thing is to use perfumes/freshener to get out of this or if it is not working then get your interior replaced with new one and if is also not working then last thing is to get to mechanic and ask for assistance.

autoguy11
01-19-2012, 07:31 PM
I work for an auto cleaning/detailing service and we use this product called Auto Shocker Quick release that releases Chlorine Dioxide vapor into a car and destroys virtually any odor that we may come across. We had a car come in that had a very strong chemical smell to it and the Auto Shocker completely left it smelling odorless. I hope this helps in your situation, good luck!

bumperstickers
01-20-2012, 12:37 PM
Another easy way to remove smell from your car is "stop farting in the car".

ricebike
01-23-2012, 11:07 AM
also, it helps if you have a rug shampoo machine that spits out the mixture of hot water/ detergent of your choice (add white vinegar to the mix too)... then let it soak, and wet-vac the excess off:2cents:

pcannon
01-23-2012, 08:03 PM
Set several apple slices around inside the car and leave them over night. They absorb smell for reasons totally beyond me.

autoing
02-09-2012, 02:46 AM
Set several apple slices around inside the car and leave them over night. They absorb smell for reasons totally beyond me.
I think the vinegar idea (above) works better. Might give this a try though.

automadman691
02-09-2012, 06:37 AM
Vinegar has worked for me in the past. Before reading the full post I was going to suggest letting your better half out as soon as she lets one go!! I will get my coat.

ebestcars
02-10-2012, 12:01 AM
The easiest way to get rid of bad smells is to visit this site and read step by step cleaning procedure. I think its really helpful. Check this out please.
http://www.wikihow.com/Remove-Odors-from-Your-Car

Mr_Me
02-11-2012, 09:33 AM
Although this post is very old , it's still gaining attention.
Most cars have padding under a rug, so if something that was spilled or poured onto the rug, even plain water, was allowed to just sit without sucking it up, your padding is most likely mold ridden.
Door jam carpet trim most of the time can easily be lifted to check that immediate area.
If your like the one that posted this & you have been spilling chemicals without cleaning it up with a wet vac, and the padding is still soaked, then your looking for problems putting other chemicals on it without knowing what the mix could create as far as a gas or poison vapor.
A bowl of WHITE vinegar in a closed area for a day or so does wonders.Believe it or not.
One reply was Baking Soda (Calcium Carbonate) another good one. (just don't mix the two).
But for rugs you MUST brush them while you vacuum for good results You have to move the fibers.
For a mold smell coming from the vents, its most likely mold build up from a blocked A/C drain. A long sturdy wire like a coat-hanger, from underneath run up inside the drain will unclog it.(watch out for the spill sometimes it's nasty!)
But leaves or other tree waist may have got inside the air intake vents. Most vents suck in air from the grate under the wipers & that leads to the AIR intake port, commonly placed behind & within the passenger side fender.
The inside wheel well cover can be removed to clean out debris and the A/C drain if it's unreachable, if all else fails.
If you have problems with a neighbor and now have a sudden smell from your vents then I must add that I once had a neighbor brag about pouring a certain substance into this grate and it smelled the guys car for years.(Don't ask what it was).
but all else ... go here

ebestcars
02-13-2012, 06:48 AM
Although this post is very old , it's still gaining attention.
Most cars have padding under a rug, so if something that was spilled or poured onto the rug, even plain water, was allowed to just sit without sucking it up, your padding is most likely mold ridden.
Door jam carpet trim most of the time can easily be lifted to check that immediate area.
If your like the one that posted this & you have been spilling chemicals without cleaning it up with a wet vac, and the padding is still soaked, then your looking for problems putting other chemicals on it without knowing what the mix could create as far as a gas or poison vapor.
A bowl of WHITE vinegar in a closed area for a day or so does wonders.Believe it or not.
One reply was Baking Soda (Calcium Carbonate) another good one. (just don't mix the two).
But for rugs you MUST brush them while you vacuum for good results You have to move the fibers.
For a mold smell coming from the vents, its most likely mold build up from a blocked A/C drain. A long sturdy wire like a coat-hanger, from underneath run up inside the drain will unclog it.(watch out for the spill sometimes it's nasty!)
But leaves or other tree waist may have got inside the air intake vents. Most vents suck in air from the grate under the wipers & that leads to the AIR intake port, commonly placed behind & within the passenger side fender.
The inside wheel well cover can be removed to clean out debris and the A/C drain if it's unreachable, if all else fails.
If you have problems with a neighbor and now have a sudden smell from your vents then I must add that I once had a neighbor brag about pouring a certain substance into this grate and it smelled the guys car for years.(Don't ask what it was).
but all else ... go here

I completely agree with you and with this url http://www.wikihow.com/Remove-Odors-from-Your-Car

northwoods60
02-13-2012, 11:31 AM
agreed! we had a skunk that wiped its butt on the car...vinegar/baking soda. Its the oil in the stink that one has to contend with. Spray vinegar,,,your car will eventually smell of fries.

jcsaleen
02-15-2012, 11:17 AM
I have done professional detailing for many years. Personally, I use chemical guys products for odor removal. Also turn on the recirc when you spray the products inside the car. From my experience most odors are held in two key spots, the carpets/rugs and the Ac ventilation ducts.

These products should take care of the problem. Use in this order.

1. http://www.detailersdomain.com/1Z-einszett-Klima-Cleaner--AC-Odor-Bacteria-Cleaner_p_78.html

2. http://www.chemicalguys.com/Smoke_And_Odor_Eliminator_Enzime_Spray_16_Oz_p/spi_104_16.htm

3. http://www.chemicalguys.com/LEATHER_SMELL_p/air_102_16.htm

Those 3 will leaving the car smelling excellent. Make sure to leave the recirc on for at least 20-30 mins after spraying the odor eliminator.

ebestcars
02-17-2012, 01:49 AM
Just clean the entire car ... Used some vinegar it really works for me... And some air freshener.. :smooch:

Oh yeah vinegar it will work for sure.:)

matt_parrs
02-17-2012, 09:49 AM
my Fiat i bought 2nd hand, and the owner before me was obviously a smoker (it stunk). i know the vinegar trick works wonders but all i did was air it out. i bought in the summer and had windows down most of the days, even when it was parked on the driveway... and a month later it was all gone. suppose it takes longer but doesnt require any hard work

carsandtrucks
02-18-2012, 01:11 PM
Hello, We purchased a toyota camry from an heavy smoker. Car was cleaned perfectly of all nicotine residue. Could not get the smell out of the vents.
This ABSOLUTELY worked: Bought a small 4 inch tall spray bottle & a small 1 oz. bottle of Pure peppermint oil. (Now I know Oil and water do not mix, but the peppermint will scent the water). Put 10 drops of Pure peppermint oil in the spray bottle and top off with warm water. Carefully Spray directly into vents on carpet and on "lightly" on the interior roof and the back panel near the rear windows behind the back seat where the glass meets the panel. "BE SURE you DO NOT get this in your eyes, it will sting. Closes the doors and leave it sit all day. When you open the doors it will smell strong like like peppermint. Did this 3 times and we have NO nicotine smell for over a year now. Not sure if this will work in your case, but the peppermint will subside within about 2 days after spraying each treatment.

Last, fill an old sock with an 8 ounce box of baking soda and tie it off in a knot. Leave the sock filled with backing soda on the floor under a seat. Works like magic.

scottmilan
03-21-2012, 03:21 AM
Perfume and freshener can help with car odor...

Auto Repair Services Ft. Collins, CO (http://www.scottsfortcollinsauto.com)

Jamesfranklin
03-23-2012, 08:40 AM
I too think that vinegar can be the prefect for it as it is a safe cleaner and it will transform the bad odour of pesticides into a freshy and clean smell. prepare a mix of vinegar and detergent and fill this solution in a empty spray bottle and spray it where you are getting bad odour. you can also mix some additive fragrances of flowers to make it more pleasant.

Ford Taurus
04-14-2012, 04:46 AM
There are quite a few ways to eliminate smells that permeate within your car. Although I have seen quite a few products suggested above I would try one of the following:

1) Baking Soda or Coffee bean trays under the seat.
2) Creating a one part white vinegar to three part water spray and misting the interior.
3) Often just airing the car out will be enough to do the trick. Open the windows within a safe garage and leave them down over night. In most cases this will do the tick.

Also, there are some more helpful tips and tricks within this tutorial:
How to Get Dog Smell Out of Car (http://www.getsmellout.com/how-to-get-dog-smell-out-of-car/)

If all else fails, please send me a PM and I'll help you find the solution. =):grinyes:

bennuss
04-15-2012, 06:25 PM
Rent a vapor cleaner and clean the interior on the car seats carpet ect..
The smell will be gone and as an added plus you will be able to easily clean the stains on the seats or carpet
Make sure it is a dry vapor/steam. Wet steam does not work as well and the car will be soaked inside. You can also use it to clean the engine bay. It is fast and efficient.

Dilys95
04-15-2012, 08:06 PM
http://www.infoocean.info/avatar2.jpgI had a problem with a smell in the carpet

bennuss
04-16-2012, 12:36 AM
The vapor cleaner will clean and get the odor out of the carpet it will vaporize any chemical or molecule that is causing the odor

Harriet61
04-17-2012, 03:05 AM
http://www.infoocean.info/avatar2.jpgFabreeze wont do anything for the smell, its not strong enough.

beckya
04-20-2012, 01:22 PM
I always have my dogs in the car and after an afternoon at the dog park, they can really leave lots of stinky odors in the car. Some people may crings but I take a scented candle, light it up, set it on the floor of the car where it is open and nothing hanging over it, close the windows and doors and let it burn for a couple of hours.

I have enven on occasion taken carpet deodorizer and done the same thing. Sprinkle it on the carpet, let it sit and then give it a good vacuum. If it is too potent, just open the windows and let it air out.

It works for me!

Flora62
04-21-2012, 09:03 PM
http://www.infoocean.info/avatar2.jpgAnother common source of interior car odors is the air conditioning (A/C) system.

used auto sales
04-25-2012, 01:19 AM
always clean your cars.

ricebike
04-25-2012, 02:00 AM
always clean your cars.

and you got spam blocked!

way to go, MODS!

http://www.finestdaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/anti-spam-software-reviews.jpg

auto_guy87
04-25-2012, 01:56 PM
Ive tried the vinegar thing and it works pretty good. A lot of the air fresheners out there arent very good. One time I accidentally spilled some cologne on the floor and my car smelt great for weeks. Not recommending that though.

DeltaP
04-25-2012, 04:25 PM
As a teen I hid an open can of sardines under the seat of a neighbor's car. They had to sell the car to get rid of the smell!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'll remember not to park in your spot!:rofl:

Dan00034
04-30-2012, 07:19 AM
I heard that it should help to put one (or several) cloth bag with cat litter in the car (i heard it should even help for dead bodies' smell so should work with pesticide smell).

best
Dan

ScottInAtlanta
04-30-2012, 06:58 PM
I know many people use vinegar to remove smells, but what do you use when its a vinegar smell that you want to remove.

A huge container of coleslaw spilled in my car and I didn't realize until 2 days later. By that time, most of the vinegar/juices were dried into my back seat. How can I get rid of this smell? Its getting worse now that its summer. I already steam cleaned it, but it didn't really work. Any tips would be appreciated.

When I first saw this thread I was going to offer my "secret" of using distilled vinegar but lots of others beat me to the punch.

For the coleslaw problem I would recommend baking soda. It's on the opposite side of the PH scales and should neutralize the smell.

halina
05-22-2012, 12:32 PM
Hi Guys, I had ,,dead bodies'' smell in my Mazda, I tried baking soda, lemon juice and vinegar. Any kind of air freshner I know well. They didn't help me so I decide to call a specialist. Two guys with ozone generator helped me. It cost me 30 euro Smell gone for good. Try to find a ozone treatment in your town.

Jeremy317
05-23-2012, 03:24 PM
Here's what I used
http://www.amazon.com/Auto-Shocker-ClO2-interior-eliminator/dp/B001NM73CW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1337800992&sr=8-2

traicy_meliton
06-27-2013, 05:34 AM
I like products offered at http://www.smokesmellbegone.com/. I've used them many times and they usually helped.

kushy28
06-27-2013, 06:48 AM
Perfume helps a lot.

northwoods60
06-27-2013, 08:31 PM
vinegar really does work in order to get rid of the stinky smell of the car... that should do it...
vinegar or baking soda.

Julyee
07-02-2013, 09:49 PM
Put some fruits such as Lemon, apple and pineapple in your car.

Emma Grace
07-08-2013, 08:09 AM
Here are some tips. Hope you'll find them useful :)
<li class="step "> 1 Determine the source of the smell. It is much easier to eliminate a scent when you know the source or the smell. If there is still a visible area in the car, remove anything associated with the scent. Then clean it with a sponge. You may want to use some dish washing soap to help get rid of the smell.

<li class="step "> 2 Clean the whole car. You will need to throw away trash and remove everything from the trunk, then vacuum the whole car. The best way to get rid of smells while vacuuming is to sprinkle baking soda on the car's carpet and seats. Shampoo the seats, and wipe down the doors and dashboards. You will want to make sure you are getting rid of anything that will harbor the scent.
<li class="step "> 3 Air the car out. Park the car in direct sunlight and roll the windows down. The fresh air will make the whole car smell cleaner.

<li class="step "> 4 Prepare a vinegar spray. Place several drops of essential oil in the bottle then fill the bottle up with vinegar. Shake the bottle up. Now spray this solution at the source of the bad smell in your car. Make sure to dry it with a towel.

<li class="step "> 5 Use a small container of cat litter in the car. If you place a bowl of cheap cat litter on the surrounding the bad scent, the cat litter will be able to get the bad smell out of your car. Take the car litter out before driving, so you do not have to vacuum up bits of cat litter.

<li class="step "> 6 Dip several cotton balls in sweet oil. Place these cotton balls all over in the car. The sweet oil will absorb all the bad smells in your car.

Ticoon
07-08-2013, 10:20 AM
If I were you I would consider taking your car to one of the vehicle test center of Lyon. Check this <a href="http://controletechniquelyon.com/">website</a>; to find one nice center that will advise you on how to get rid of this smell.

phil clark
01-19-2014, 06:13 AM
A couple of years ago I bought a secondhand car from a dealer/showroom (so it had been cleaned to appear like new) then had to sell it two months later because of the horrible smell that was probably - going by the kind of smell - some cleaning/polishing substance to make the surfaces shiny and new-looking. Luckily I kept my old car - it had no market value - but two years later it's clapped-out and then, thoughtlessly, I have that same horrible smell in yet another showroom-presented secondhand car. It's not exactly 'bad' like bacteria, but is a bit like vomit... as some cleaning materials can be. I can only suppose I have to wipe all surfaces well with a solvent. I know people react very differently to the same smell, but I'd prefer anything natural to this... even cigarette smells (though I don't smoke and don't like it). This particular chemical, though, is very unpleasant and makes me feel a bit ill every time I get in the car. Any suggestion for solving this problem would be appreciated. Many Thanks.

FreshanaOrganic
01-29-2014, 04:28 PM
We have many car dealerships using a product called Freshana Organic Solutions.

juliejones
02-13-2014, 02:52 AM
now this is where you get to make use of “home cleaning skills” . Try to get from the supermarket a few sprays, and google the best brands for this first.

online gokkasten ipad (http://www.onlinegokkasten.me/betway.php)

simonwoods11
02-14-2014, 01:02 AM
There are many ways to get bad smell out of the car, one of them is to clean it completely or just take it to the autobody shop where they can check what exactly making it smell bad.

Sarahkin
02-16-2014, 06:51 PM
I keep a bag of coffee beans in my car, works very well. Who doesn't like coffee? :biggrin:

Add your comment to this topic!