Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

How Bad Is It Staying In 1st In An A/T..? |

solaris=amazing
04-11-2005, 04:43 PM
Hey guys, havent posted in a while... And then i do...a dumb post..sorry..

Anyway, being that the single most downfall to a tbird is the a/t, how bad is it to shift it like a manual..? I'm not talking daily driving, everyday...just sometimes. Today, i was on a narrow street...under an overpass. I took overdrive off, and put my shifter in 1st, anyway, you can get up to like 5K and it sounds sweet. Thats when you really hear the sweet noise of the engine, being that i also have my air silencer removed, and my mufflers chopped off. The air intake sounds like a supercharger at like 3500-4500rpms.

I got so many people looking at me, lol...either they where saying that sounds hot....or they where like, ah.... My buddy said that basically if you stay in a gear longer, 1st, you burn gas VERY FAST, and the oil will get eaten up very quickly also. He told me that going from a 3rd to 2nd, 1st etc is MUCH worse then manually shifting from D1 (1st) D2 (2nd) D (3rd)....that with the overdrive off also btw. As far as breakdown, thats the biggest concern, especially in the tranny...he said the fluid will get hot in no time, and thats why you don't want to shift an a/t like a makeshift manual trans.

Besides regular high rpm engine wear, and fluid breakdown, what can really happen to the tranny..? Will it slip after a while.? In that case also, does a manual's engine/fluid get burnt up faster then a car with a a/t..?

solaris=amazing
04-11-2005, 04:44 PM
95 4.6L V8 Tbird btw...

solaris=amazing
04-11-2005, 04:45 PM
I wish mine was manual...like them sc's....DAMNIT DAMNIT...

RandomTask
04-12-2005, 10:39 AM
In short terms: Basically the torque coverter was designed to be powered by the engine to turn the transmission. You're essentially reversing this concept. Using the engine to shave off speed is also detrimental towards the internals. If you've ever watched NASCAR™ (:)), you will notice that engines usually blow when they're getting off the throttle or right when they get back on them.

solaris=amazing
04-12-2005, 02:49 PM
Thanks man, yeah i'm not gonna do that anymore....i hope i didn't do any damage, everything seams fine...but you never know..

I'm just gonna wait till i get a manual camaro or stang to toy around with.

Add your comment to this topic!