Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

obd II scanners, and emmisions testing

johnholl
04-11-2005, 11:32 AM
Can the code erasure function on the OBD II readers help a car pass these crazy emissions systems \ inspections? My state has recently adopted this test on all vehicles post 1996. Money grab, in my opinion. It's the older, exempt cars that are poluting. These emmision parts are very expensive, and should be covered by the manufacturer. In many cases it's a very costly hit or miss replacement proceedure, with respect to the components, and if the mechanic doesen't properly interperate the data correctly, it can cost an arm and a leg. I'm an electrical engineer. I Don't trust components to work for very long the way they salt the roads up here in the Winter.

Can you tell I'm pissed?

BNaylor
04-12-2005, 08:35 AM
Can the code erasure function on the OBD II readers help a car pass these crazy emissions systems \ inspections? My state has recently adopted this test on all vehicles post 1996. Money grab, in my opinion. It's the older, exempt cars that are poluting. These emmision parts are very expensive, and should be covered by the manufacturer. In many cases it's a very costly hit or miss replacement proceedure, with respect to the components, and if the mechanic doesen't properly interperate the data correctly, it can cost an arm and a leg. I'm an electrical engineer. I Don't trust components to work for very long the way they salt the roads up here in the Winter.

Can you tell I'm pissed?

I don't think that the code erasure reset will make any difference in passing an emissions test. Depending on the code reader/scanner model
pressing reset clears DTC codes, pending DTC codes and any freeze frame data and clears the SES/CEL light if illuminated.

I have an odb-ii Actron CP9145 scanner and it has what they call IM status for emissions. Before taking it in for the annual state emissions test I run this or check whether IM status is OK. That way I have a high confidence level of passing.

If you have a SES/CEL light illuminated before the state emissions test it will probably qualify for automatic failure so the ability to reset the SES light would definitely help because not all DTC failure codes are emissions related.

GM's basic Powertrain Control/Emissions warranty is 8 years or 80,000 miles, whichever comes first.

Add your comment to this topic!