Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Air conditioner problem

rprichoux
04-11-2005, 09:23 AM
My 1991 Chev Silverado has an air conditioner problem that I cannot seem to fix. When the A/C is turned on, the compressor will eventually stop working. This may happen within an hour or as long as several days. When this happens, the display showing "AC" starts blinking. If I briefly unplug the control module or disconnect the battery, it starts working again, but only for the same time frame.
I have replaced the low freon switch, the compressor relay, and the control module. HELP!!!

pappyl
06-07-2005, 12:41 PM
- sounds electrical in nature...
- but, better give it a good visual inspection first...
- check you compressor bearings - take off the serpentine and hand spin it - should move smoothly - no rubbing, no grinding, and no play. If you do have any - fix it (ie: new compressor) - you'll be on the side of the road if you don't.
- check the 2 wires running to it - make sure they're not rubbing somewhere, or hanging near the manifold
- check the plug and the contacts for rust - clean them up
- make sure it's not a plenum, fan problem inside
- make sure your condenser (before your rad) is clean and not plugged
- bring'er in and have the coolant pressure checked - if it's low you got a leak - have them put the dye in when they recharge and go back a week later (they'll catch it with a black light)

Add your comment to this topic!