Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

92 88 No spark?

dellismydog
04-11-2005, 08:53 AM
I'm hoping that someone here has an idea whats going on! b/c I dont.

I have a 92 88 (3800 engine) that was running fine until about a week ago.
If the car sits for about a day it will start and run for about a 1-2 minutes then it dies.

It will not restart unless I let it sit for several hours. Then same thing, it will only run for about 1-2 minutes. There is no spark when cranking during this period. I replaced the plugs and had the ICM checked (fine).

I thought that it might be the camsensor, but if that's bad the car shouldnt start even after sitting, right? There are no codes displayed.

Help!

Jerryco
05-06-2005, 12:48 PM
I'm hoping that someone here has an idea whats going on! b/c I dont.

I have a 92 88 (3800 engine) that was running fine until about a week ago.
If the car sits for about a day it will start and run for about a 1-2 minutes then it dies.

It will not restart unless I let it sit for several hours. Then same thing, it will only run for about 1-2 minutes. There is no spark when cranking during this period. I replaced the plugs and had the ICM checked (fine).

I thought that it might be the camsensor, but if that's bad the car shouldnt start even after sitting, right? There are no codes displayed.

Help!
I have same problem except its runs great until shut off. then won't start until cooled down.(never overheats)
Have replaced ECM, COILPACK AND COMPUTER. No change???

chevelleman
05-09-2005, 06:24 PM
it wouldn't be the camsensor because it will run okay without a camsensor it will suck more gas and not have as much power but wont keep it from running

if you had the ignition control module checked and it checked out good you could possibly be looking at a crack shaft position sensor which is down by the harmonic balancer

XGamesJ6
05-11-2005, 11:57 AM
I had the same problem with my '90 it wouldnt start unless the engine cooled down, and no codes i changed the coilpack and im not sure if that did it, but under the coilpack housing i found a sensor that seemed to need to be replaced. so i did, now it all works fine. try looking around there for a sensor or something tht could be damaged or wireing problems

Add your comment to this topic!