Your Car Audio System

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

beattsme
04-11-2005, 12:17 AM
i just wana hear wat everyone else has in their car?
i got a 98 excel everything in the engine and performance side of it is standard so far...
my car audio looks like this.
4 X 160mm Panasonic Speakers, front and rear, which is connected to a 600 watt max 4 channel amp...
A VDO Daytona MP3 Player head unit...
A 15" sub, which is connected to a 800 watt 2 channel amp

so let me no wat u got?

thepyrofish
04-11-2005, 12:20 AM
Saying you have a 15" sub and an 800W amp is like saying you drive a car. Or a truck. Give a little detail. Right now all I'm running is an Alpine E-Series 12", sealed, getting 500W RMS (give or take) from a Kenwood Excelon. Running off a Clarion reciever, deck power to some junk JBL speakers. When I get some new speakers I'm gonna throw in one of my speaker amps I've got lying around.

(EDIT) As far as your poll, I put other. I would love to be running Adire Audio Brahma's off of a zapco, or macintosh amp. Nakamichi head. MB Quart or Focal speakers. and a biigggg new alternator :thumbsup:

Damien
04-11-2005, 12:23 AM
Don;t we have an audio forum???

Unfortunently I don;t have a car, but my roomate has Kenwood in his Mustang. Nice speakers. Basic stuff really set in his truck.

beattsme
04-11-2005, 12:26 AM
sorry it is a 15" Fusion Jonah Lomu sub FS. peaks at 1200 rms, i havent/cant afford a amp to take it to peak as of yet and my amp is a cheap Pyle pla785 2 Channel Amplifier, until further notice, which shoodnt be to long all hoping!

beattsme
04-11-2005, 12:27 AM
mite have a audio forum, i didnt event think to check, can a mod move this if there is?

and um if you aint got a car what are you doing on a automotive forum???
(quote)(EDIT) As far as your poll, I put other. I would love to be running Adire Audio Brahma's off of a zapco, or macintosh amp. Nakamichi head. MB Quart or Focal speakers. and a biigggg new alternator
(/quote)
Focal i forgot that one! :-p

Damien
04-11-2005, 12:31 AM
You don't have to have a car to be here and at one point I did...

*shakes head*

beattsme
04-11-2005, 12:33 AM
You don't have to have a car to be here and at one point I did...

*shakes head*
ok good point, what kind of car did ya hab? ne thing special?

blindside.AMG
04-11-2005, 12:34 AM
Head Unit (on order):
JVC Arsenal KD-AR7500 (http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/products/2005/257/h257KDA7500-f.jpeg)

Speakers:
Front and rear - JBL Power Series P652 (http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/products/2003/109/h109P652-1.jpeg)

2-10" Image Dynamics IDQ Series (http://64.33.1.26/images/idq12_big.jpg) subs

Powered by an Alpine MRV-F450 (http://iweb.alpine-usa.com/img/asb/mrv-f450.gif) 5-channel amplifier

The only thing visible when you enter the car will be the head unit of course. The amplifier will be located behind the drivers seat and the subs fit in an enclosure under the rear seat. I wanted the system to sound great with heavy/rock type music and not take up much space in my truck. I don't need the thing to rattle body panels so I opted for the 5-channel amp instead of getting two seperate amps for the speakers and subs.

beattsme
04-11-2005, 12:40 AM
sounds really good, how much it set u back (if you dont mind me asking?)...

Can anyone beat that?

Ive always thought bout entering my car in a comp, shood i do it?

blindside.AMG
04-11-2005, 12:54 AM

Can anyone beat that?

I think I'm up to around $1500 into the system now. I still need to buy some sound deadening material though so that may be another $1-200. I set aside a budget of $2000 so I'm still under that.

beattsme
04-11-2005, 12:59 AM
good stuff, and i take that thats in US $$ i not to sure how much i payd for mine... it was a lil wile ago... but i got no sound dedenin material in it, whats tha advantages of it?

blindside.AMG
04-11-2005, 01:10 AM
good stuff, and i take that thats in US $$ i not to sure how much i payd for mine... it was a lil wile ago... but i got no sound dedenin material in it, whats tha advantages of it?

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/learningcenter/car/vibration.html

That link does a pretty good job of explaining the advantages of sound deadening. :smile:

beattsme
04-11-2005, 01:12 AM
want even aware it existed!!! OMG i got to have it, its like all my prayers have been answered!!! lol

sr20de4evr
04-11-2005, 02:28 AM

Can anyone beat that?

I'd say I can beat it
http://www.resnet.trinity.edu/areynol1/audio.htm

and no, I wouldn't recommend entering a competition since before today you didn't even know there was such a thing as sound deadening ;)

as for the original thread starter, a big hell no for everything on that list, stick around here, you might learn a thing or two

beattsme
04-11-2005, 02:52 AM
wat do you mean by that

dean,can
04-11-2005, 04:35 AM
Saying you have a 15" sub and an 800W amp is like saying you drive a car. Or a truck. Give a little detail. Right now all I'm running is an Alpine E-Series 12", sealed, getting 500W RMS (give or take) from a Kenwood Excelon. Running off a Clarion reciever, deck power to some junk JBL speakers. When I get some new speakers I'm gonna throw in one of my speaker amps I've got lying around.

(EDIT) As far as your poll, I put other. I would love to be running Adire Audio Brahma's off of a zapco, or macintosh amp. Nakamichi head. MB Quart or Focal speakers. and a biigggg new alternator :thumbsup:
Hi there My system in 86 stang gt . unit kenwood kdc-x 969
amp:PlanetAudio vx 400d 300x1 rms @ 2 ohms
Drivining 1-12" planetaudio vc 12d in a ported box
front speakers 3.5 by swiss audio Rear speakers 6x8 by swiss audio
running off deck power its not to loud it balances out good and sound crisp.

ngsm13
04-11-2005, 08:29 AM
-Clarion vrx945vd 7" In-dash DVD/MP3/CD
-CDT EF61cfi/25 Components (upgraded 560 xover and 1" silk tweeters)
-PG Tantrum 400.4 (Bridged to components, 230rms x 2)
-RE Audio 18 XXX
-Modded MTX 1501d @1ohm (1800-2000rms)
Those are the products currently...
Along with:
-Custom Ported 18XXX box: 7.5 cubes NET@32hz with 120 in^2 of port
-Custom Fiberglassed sealed door pods for components
-120 ft^2 of SecondSkin Damplifier
-1 Gallon SecondSkin Spectrum
-200 Amp HO Alternator
-COMPLETE 1/0 Re-wire
-Optima D34 Yellow Top under the hood
-Optima Group 31 Yellow Top in rear
-NXG Sapphire Pro Series Interconnects

Coming SOON! (w/in next month):
CUSTOM Component set:
-RE Audio XXX 6.5's
-Vifa 1" Neodymium Silk Tweeters
-Coustic XM^ Active Xover (on it's way...;))
To be mounted in custom fiberglassed, sealed door pods!

YAY!!!!!!!

NG

sr20de4evr
04-11-2005, 09:06 AM
wat do you mean by that

by what?

The competition thing? Well to start, it would be practically impossible to get anywhere in a competition without deadening unless you have custom fiberglassed door pods or kickpanels. Maybe you do, but I was assuming you don't. I was also assuming that since you didn't know about deadening you wouldn't know about soundstage width and height, imaging, blending, etc, but again I could be wrong.

Or do you mean the list thing? I was referring to the poll, it's not a good list of high quality companies. I see Alpine which is good for headunits, and by "Avalanche" do you mean Ascendant Audio? If so they make good subwoofers, but you're still missing signal processors, mids, tweets, amps, etc, which none of those companies are any good at. It's kind of hard to choose a best brand when only two of them can even be considered good.

ghostrx7
04-11-2005, 12:31 PM
clarion music catcher cd(180 ebay)
mtx 600 class d(120)ebay
2 mtx 10 8000's(111)ebay
ported box (54) ebay
1.5 farad capacitor(53)ebay
ads 5 1/4 mid range in rear(50 off friend)
7 inch monitor with tv tuner (130)ebay
ac/dc power inverter(33)ebay
xbox(150)
still need seperates for the front, but my system will run under 1000 for tv and all!cant beat that!

threedd97
04-11-2005, 01:30 PM
My stuff is in my signature.

KMoney28
04-11-2005, 02:27 PM
sr why not enter in a less competitive sponsor like Mecca or something? He can go see what he hits and just have fun like most of the other people do there. But I do see your point if he meant seriously competing(yea you have a little ways to go still) but if it's a one time thing I think he should do Mecca or something like that...guys there are pretty nice and will let you see what they've got and give you tips, unlike guys in DB Drag

ngsm13
04-11-2005, 02:48 PM
sr why not enter in a less competitive sponsor like Mecca or something? He can go see what he hits and just have fun like most of the other people do there. But I do see your point if he meant seriously competing(yea you have a little ways to go still) but if it's a one time thing I think he should do Mecca or something like that...guys there are pretty nice and will let you see what they've got and give you tips, unlike guys in DB Drag

It's MECA ;)

If he wants non-competitive...I'd just go to some local competitions (whatever format they may be...). MECA requires a membership :( most if not ALL of the time. peace

NG

Diceman83
04-11-2005, 02:53 PM
My stuff's in my sig, and I've got pics and a worklog on my website (use the WWW link just below my sig). I just got everything with the amp and subwoofer completed and installed, and I'm going to be putting some more pictures up and redoing the project page tonight. I'm currently looking for some 5.25" speakers go to in the front.

KMoney28
04-11-2005, 03:00 PM
Hmm maybe....I live in Chicago so when they're in Illinois or Wisconsin I thought I remember not a membership but a fee of like $20 or $30 for the day and you can compete and also do the 1/4 mile if you want. But yea I forgot about local stuff, check out car audio shops around your neighborhood, some around here do their own events.

ponchonutty
04-11-2005, 08:18 PM
Ditto on the list. I mean, that's OK starter stuff but nothing worth showing off or competing with. My stuff's in my sig too.

beattsme
04-11-2005, 08:25 PM
ok i stay clear of comp til i no bout that

bumpinstang77
04-11-2005, 09:42 PM
-panasonic cq-c8100u head unit
-380 watt pioneer amo for subs
-2 RE sexxx 12's ported low (hit a 140 on the term-lab.net tuned to 28 w/ 380 watts WOOT!)
-Adire Audio koda 6.1 component set
-150 amp alternator
-optima yellow top
-cheap ebay 4 awg power wire.

sr20de4evr
04-11-2005, 10:42 PM

when I hear "compete" I don't think of SPL. SPL is dumb, SQ is where it's at :)

beattsme
04-12-2005, 01:44 AM
has everyone got a capacitor in their car???

aznxthuggie
04-12-2005, 02:39 AM
hmm currently i have..

Pioneer DEH-P6700MP
CDT EF-61's in deadened doors
Soundstream XTA480.2
Elemental Design 13Kv.2
Alpine MRP-M350

it was a very cheap system i put together, doesn't sound as good as i want it to, but then again i spent 1/2 of what i did on my first real "system" which was..

Alpine CDA-9833
CDT EF-61's in fiberglass kicks + time correction
Rockford Fosgate 700x
12" Alpine Type R
Alpine MRD-M301

sr20de4evr
04-12-2005, 02:39 AM
No, I think you'll find that most people who know what they're doing with their system don't. Not that they're entirely useless, just that they have very few uses, some people use them how they should be used, but normally the people who have them simply got suckered into buying one by the local salesmen.

KMoney28
04-12-2005, 04:02 AM
Wow I wouldn't go so far as to say that spl is "dumb" I give those guys props for all the time they put into their cars just to gain even a single db, they're committed. But it seems to be the case that sq guys think that spl is dumb and spl guys think that sq is dumb, guess there's no happy medium....

ngsm13
04-12-2005, 10:08 AM

Hell no, biggest waste of money ever. Read about my electrical system on the previous page ;)

Wow I wouldn't go so far as to say that spl is "dumb" I give those guys props for all the time they put into their cars just to gain even a single db, they're committed. But it seems to be the case that sq guys think that spl is dumb and spl guys think that sq is dumb, guess there's no happy medium....

Yeah, read my system on the previous page...it's like...REALLY good SQ and REALLY Loud ;) lol.

But I like SQL, I'm not going to compete SQ...at least not for a long time. I can easily switch out boxes, so I have a daily setup (18XXX) and I also have an SPL competition setup (15 Death Penalty). ;)

NG

sr20de4evr
04-12-2005, 12:47 PM

I just don't see the point personally. It's like an endless pit of money that you can't ever enjoy, the only enjoyment you get out of it is beating other people. It's a huge cock fight that no one can actually get any kind of happiness from without someone else losing. Do you think anyone would actually go to an SPL competition if there were no other competitors or spectators there that they could show off to? Now do you think anyone would go to a SQ competition where they could hear the judges thoughts and advice on how to improve, even if there were no other competitors or spectators there? Actually any type of sound competition is a cock fight, but at least when people leave a SQ competition they can actually enjoy listening to their system.

notladstyle@yahoo.
04-12-2005, 02:44 PM
I just don't see the point personally. It's like an endless pit of money that you can't ever enjoy, the only enjoyment you get out of it is beating other people. It's a huge cock fight that no one can actually get any kind of happiness from without someone else losing. Do you think anyone would actually go to an SPL competition if there were no other competitors or spectators there that they could show off to? Now do you think anyone would go to a SQ competition where they could hear the judges thoughts and advice on how to improve, even if there were no other competitors or spectators there? Actually any type of sound competition is a cock fight, but at least when people leave a SQ competition they can actually enjoy listening to their system.

Life itself is a giant cock fight, theres really no difference between the competitions. SPL is important to sound quality, but SPL competitions take it too far. SPL you will grow out of, SQ you grow into. If you value SQ now, you are enlightened. if you think you own with SPL, you will get many dtp tickets and eventually you will grow up.

shawnwilliams
04-12-2005, 03:51 PM
my sig

sr20de4evr
04-12-2005, 03:58 PM
Life itself is a giant cock fight, theres really no difference between the competitions. SPL is important to sound quality, but SPL competitions take it too far. SPL you will grow out of, SQ you grow into. If you value SQ now, you are enlightened. if you think you own with SPL, you will get many dtp tickets and eventually you will grow up.

very true

beattsme
04-12-2005, 07:14 PM
sounds good, both of em...

beattsme
04-12-2005, 09:33 PM
okay ppl my next question is why?

sr20de4evr
04-12-2005, 09:36 PM
why what?

ponchonutty
04-12-2005, 10:00 PM
yep 1.5F at the moment but will go with 5f bank soon.

Diceman83
04-12-2005, 10:14 PM
wouldn't a new alternator be cheaper??

or at least a new battery? How many amps can a capacitor hold in reserve anyway? I would guess like 3 or 4 per ferad. I can't remember exactly, but that seems about right to me. A battery can hold like 75 amps, and release it as fast as nessary, right? So, a newbie here is asking: why is a capacitor useful again?

beattsme
04-12-2005, 11:58 PM
my bad didnt post the end of my reply the question was why do people spend thousands of dollars on sound systems when they proberly wont ever get their money back? to me its like something that just has to be done, but how about vry1 else?

sr20de4evr
04-13-2005, 12:07 AM
wouldn't a new alternator be cheaper??

or at least a new battery? How many amps can a capacitor hold in reserve anyway? I would guess like 3 or 4 per ferad. I can't remember exactly, but that seems about right to me. A battery can hold like 75 amps, and release it as fast as nessary, right? So, a newbie here is asking: why is a capacitor useful again?

In an unstable electrical system, they can spread out the load so the voltage drops less on a large draw. So instead of dropping say 2 volts for 1 second, it drops 1 volt for 2 seconds. Of course a new battery or better wiring will normally fix this anyway and is cheaper than a capacitor.

In a stable electrical system, they can respond faster to quick current demands than the alternator or battery. So if the amp needs say 30 extra amps of current instantly, the capacitor can provide it, and then very very soon there after the battery is able to finish its chemical reaction and supply enough current to both take over the draw and recharge the capacitor. If the rest of the electrical system isn't strong enough to handle the load by itself then adding a capacitor won't really do anything, it's only if the electrical system is plenty strong where adding a capacitor can help it respond quicker.

sr20de4evr
04-13-2005, 12:11 AM
my bad didnt post the end of my reply the question was why do people spend thousands of dollars on sound systems when they proberly wont ever get their money back? to me its like something that just has to be done, but how about vry1 else?

For me it's just a hobby/passion. Same reason why I have ~$1000 invested in headphones, and ~$1300 in home audio. I don't plan on getting any of it back and that's fine, I buy it because I love it. Everyone has their hobbies, for some people it's golf, for some it's landscaping, for some it's cars, for some it's drums/guitar/etc....the list goes on and on. Now personally I can't understand why someone would spend thousands of dollars per year on flowers and bushes for a garden, and they probably can't understand why I would spend $350 for an amp for my headphones.

beattsme
04-13-2005, 12:33 AM
fair enough... good point

beattsme
04-13-2005, 12:37 AM
okay i got a situation or a um whats the word??? eh a situation... just to get other peoples thoughts on what they dream of on a tight ass budget... say i got a $5000 au budget which is approx $3500 US, what is the ultimate Sound system i can get, um lets just say my car is completly standard, with OMG a tape deck? this isnt real life, well not anymore, it was!!! but yeah i just wana no what ppl wood want

Diceman83
04-13-2005, 12:39 AM
thanks sr... that's about what I was thinking, just didn't know for sure.

Just a few more questions... What ferad levels are we talking about? How many amps can a 1 ferad cap hold? It would have to 15 to 25 amps to do what you're talking about, I would think.

sr20de4evr
04-13-2005, 12:42 AM
okay i got a situation or a um whats the word??? eh a situation... just to get other peoples thoughts on what they dream of on a tight ass budget... say i got a $5000 au budget which is approx $3500 US, what is the ultimate Sound system i can get, um lets just say my car is completly standard, with OMG a tape deck? this isnt real life, well not anymore, it was!!! but yeah i just wana no what ppl wood want

well my current system cost around $3500....I would probably do the exact same thing if given the chance. The only changes I might make is to step down on the sub, maybe a brahma 12 or idmax 12 and a nice 1000rms class ab amp for it, like an arc or zapco ref. Other than that though, I wouldn't change anything.

ngsm13
04-13-2005, 12:47 AM

The following was around $3500 or less...

-Clarion vrx945vd 7" In-dash DVD/MP3/CD
-CDT EF61cfi/25 Components (upgraded 560 xover and 1" silk tweeters)
-PG Tantrum 400.4 (Bridged to components, 230rms x 2)
-RE Audio 18 XXX
-Modded MTX 1501d @1ohm (1800-2000rms)
Those are the products currently...
Along with:
-Custom Ported 18XXX box: 7.5 cubes NET@32hz with 120 in^2 of port
-Custom Fiberglassed sealed door pods for components
-120 ft^2 of SecondSkin Damplifier
-1 Gallon SecondSkin Spectrum
-200 Amp HO Alternator
-COMPLETE 1/0 Re-wire
-Optima D34 Yellow Top under the hood
-Optima Group 31 Yellow Top in rear
-NXG Sapphire Pro Series Interconnects

Coming SOON! (w/in next month):
CUSTOM Component set:
-RE Audio XXX 6.5's
-Vifa 1" Neodymium Silk Tweeters
-Coustic XM^ Active Xover (on it's way...;))
To be mounted in custom fiberglassed, sealed door pods!

YAY!!!!!!!

NG

Mine ;)

NG

sr20de4evr
04-13-2005, 12:59 AM
thanks sr... that's about what I was thinking, just didn't know for sure.

Just a few more questions... What ferad levels are we talking about? How many amps can a 1 ferad cap hold? It would have to 15 to 25 amps to do what you're talking about, I would think.

well it's not so simple....as the capacitor discharges its voltage drops, so the amount of current it can supply is a function of its current voltage, time, etc.

A 1 farad cap can supply 1 amp of current for 1 second before dropping by 1 volt. So if it was the only source of power (which isn't possible because there has to be something there to charge it, but this is just hypothetical), then it could supply 1 amp for 1 second before dropping from 14V down to 13V, or 2 amps for .5 seconds, or 4 amps for .25 seconds, etc. The amount of time it would need to supply current for would be in the milliseconds, so it could supply a LOT of current if the rest of the electrical system could back it up fast enough. In 10ms it could supply 100 amps and only drop by 1 volt, or 50 amps and only drop by .5 volts, etc. See why it's so hard to say how much current it can supply? It's almost impossible to say because it depends so much on how fast the alt and batt can react, how much current they can supply at 14V, 13V, etc (an alt can supply a LOT more current at 12.5V than at 14V).

And then you have the carbon caps out there which have such a high ESR that they're practically useless for this application....

beattsme
04-13-2005, 01:05 AM
fair enough, okay it might be a stupid question but i cant be bothered looking, whats the most powerfullest sub for a car that youve ever seen? and how about actually heard in a car, what kind of car was it?

Diceman83
04-13-2005, 01:06 AM
Nice... my entry level electronics and physics courses never really covered the uses of caps in an environment like car audio. This should go in the newbie section :). "Why you shouldn't start with a cap"... it would save a lot of people money when they're starting out. I'm glad I didn't buy one for now.

beattsme
04-13-2005, 01:07 AM
okay my loudest experience wood have to be in a car, that had one sub peaking at 1500 Wat i think? it was 12" and the building that we were next to, which happened to be my workplace was shaking, and the boss had to come out and ask him to turn it off as it cood do damage to the shelving ect inside the building! that was my loudest experience

ngsm13
04-13-2005, 09:39 AM
Ummm...you must not have heard a lot of systems...

I sat inside...this van:
http://www.realmofexcursion.com/videos/Resonant%20Engineering/mt12.1.wmv

It's Scottie Johnson's Black MT Van. It's the LOUDEST Van in his class in the entire WORLD. It's the first ever stock vehicle (stock body, non-extreme class) to break 170dB's on the TermLab sensor. I sat in it @ 170.2 dB's

There are 12 12" RE Audio MT's and 28 MA Audio HK4000d's. This is over 134,000 watts of power. It has 80 optima group 31 batteries in it, and it weighs over 15,000 lbs.

NG

PS: I'm going to his place this weekend. Gonna hang out and get me loud ;)

Diceman83
04-13-2005, 06:43 PM
I sat in it @ 170.2 dB's

... and you're still alive and hearing?? I thought that sound at that level would collapse a person's lungs... It must take like an hour to charge all those batteries...

ngsm13
04-13-2005, 06:51 PM
... and you're still alive and hearing?? I thought that sound at that level would collapse a person's lungs... It must take like an hour to charge all those batteries...

Yeah, it literally...like made my heart skip a beat. It was INSANE!!!!

NG

ponchonutty
04-13-2005, 08:02 PM
You sure? I was told that humans can't be inside a closed chamber @ 165db or higher. Bascially it will make your nuts implode.

CBFryman
04-13-2005, 08:15 PM
RE Comps
"rampage" flea market 8" woofer sealed...
"rampage" fleam market 300w amp.

Report cards are here friday...3 'A's and 3 'B's...well and a C on my latin internet class....hopefully my rents will give me some cash... if my dad sticks to his word because i took on such clases and a shit load of sports i should be getting $150. putting me a measly $100 away form my XXX18...

CBFryman
04-13-2005, 08:17 PM
oh and while building some pods for my tweets saturday we may be installing the Bahns in the back just for kick while resin is drying.... but it will just be fore saturday night...going crusin then a party...

Add your comment to this topic!