Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Errr...this a mech issue? or did i frick up something??

Just of Spades
04-10-2005, 08:36 PM
I'm getting ready trade in my automatic Focus for an SVT, so todays project was to take out the sound system and return it to its icky stock days.

I pulled the amp and box from the trunk, swapped speakers, pulled the headunit, pulled the wiring from the side panels, removed the in-line fuse and pulled the lead through the firewall(went through a few inches below all the other wires on the drivers side. had to turn the wheel hard to get the plastic out of the wheel well). Getting a new(used) factory CD player, so the hole's open right now.

After I finished, I turn my car on.....sounds fine. Put it in reverse....BAM!! It slams into reverse! The car seriously feels like it lowered 2 inches. The idle is normal. Put it in neutral.....feels like the car height goes to normal(omg, this sounds wierd, i know). Put it in drive.....BAM!!!! Slams into gear again.

I put the car in park, turn the car off. When i turn the car back on, the problem still exists. Put it in park again, reverse again(yes...BAM), then the engine light goes on. WTF!! I back it out of the way of the garage and ran inside to you all. Seems like it drives fine, by the way.

Someone help me...what on earth did i do? I can't think of anything I pulled at or could have broke while playing with the sound system... I'm so confused!!! *cries*

Mustangman25
04-10-2005, 08:44 PM
I don't really know what you're describing...what do you mean by "BAM?" Does it just sort of jolt forward or backward when you put it in gear? Either way, I'm with you...I don't know how you could have really screwed anything up by taking out the old stereo...

Just of Spades
04-10-2005, 08:58 PM
BAM = slamming sound. car will actually move. feels like i drove off a curb i was parked on. drops into gear very hard. when i backed the car out of the way, it seemed fine. i don't know what would happen at the transition from 1st gear to second....i'm not sure if i sure attempt to drive it. :(

sorry for the bad desciption, i hope that's better. by the way...it's an '00 ZX3

Mustangman25
04-11-2005, 05:52 PM
I'm really sorry, but I am lost as to what the problem might be...maybe try posting in the tech forum (under the Cars in General forum) to maybe get a better response, since that forum gets a lot more traffic then this one. Sorry.

niemo810
07-26-2006, 01:05 PM
i know this forum is a little old, but i bet the e-brake was on.

Add your comment to this topic!