Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Oil in Coolant Tank?

mikept03
04-10-2005, 06:58 PM
I was checking the coolant and oil in my 1998 Malibu LS with the 3100 V6 yesterday, and nearly fainted when the paper towel I stuck into the surge tank came out brown/amber along the expected pinkish orange color.

I checked the oil expecting it to be low, but it actually seemed to be a little above the full mark, and there was no frothing or milky substances inside the oil filler cap.

Also, pardon my lack of knowledge here, but after driving around, I smelled antifreeze, and traced it back to a few drops of coolant that looked to have fallen on silver aluminum piping on the driver's side toward the front and top of the engine, in front of the air intake (I think it carries the exhaust-exhaust manifold maybe??). I looked but couldn't find any signs of leaking hoses.

I am going to school in Irvine CA, and am away from the mechanic I trust at home, so I'm afraid of a dishonest mechanic replacing the gaskets if they are not the problem. The car has had one of the gaskets replaced about 3 years ago (can't remember if it was the head or intake gasket).

So here are my questions:
-Are tell tale sign that either the head or intake gasket has blown, or could it possibly be a buildup of Dexcool crap in the tank that I'm seeing? Or am I just freaking out over nothing?
-Does anybody know of a good mechanic in the Irvine are?

I greatly appreciate any help with this!

BeatnikTermite
04-11-2005, 07:24 AM
Sorry, but this is almost certantly the Intake Manifold Gaskets failing. Most people either notice the fluid build-up underneath the waterpump, of pooling at the top of the Transmission near the exhaust shroud where you described.

This will run you about $350 if you do it yourself, or $750 if a reputible mechanic does it. You can get FelPro gaskets now, so there is no reason to go to the dealer, since they will not really be any help. I would also sugggest replacing the Water Pump, and termostat when you have this done. These will only cost you about $150 extra.

This sound like a lot, but considering the entire top half of the engine will be practically re-built, it's not bad for no more than $900.

mikept03
04-11-2005, 08:05 PM
Sorry, but this is almost certantly the Intake Manifold Gaskets failing. Most people either notice the fluid build-up underneath the waterpump, of pooling at the top of the Transmission near the exhaust shroud where you described.

This will run you about $350 if you do it yourself, or $750 if a reputible mechanic does it. You can get FelPro gaskets now, so there is no reason to go to the dealer, since they will not really be any help. I would also sugggest replacing the Water Pump, and termostat when you have this done. These will only cost you about $150 extra.

This sound like a lot, but considering the entire top half of the engine will be practically re-built, it's not bad for no more than $900.

Thanks for the info, I was afraid that would be the case. I was quoted $750 by a Chevy dealership here. I had the water pump replaced for the second time a few months ago, so it should be fine. I was going to get a tune up now while the engine is all torn apart, but they wanted $220, and my usual shop at home only charges $150. They said the gasket was recently redesigned, so hopefully this is the last time I have to go through this mess.

sellncars
04-23-2005, 10:06 PM

This sound like a lot, but considering the entire top half of the engine will be practically re-built, it's not bad for no more than $900.I just did one on a 1996 Buick Century. The parts are actually cheaper at the dealer. You will need to know if you have ball & Pivot rockers or roller rockers first. Take off a valve cover. I replaced the head gaskets as well since i was already there. All parts cost less then $100.00. Took around 6 hrs for the heads and intake job. Not to bad a job.

Good luck,
Sellncars

marshallt84
10-22-2006, 02:59 PM
Sorry to bother you, but I have a quick question along those lines. I actually accidentally poured a little bit of oil in my coolant....should be worried about this? or will my mazda survive?

Thank you

Polishpat
11-11-2006, 09:46 AM
Sorry to bother you, but I have a quick question along those lines. I actually accidentally poured a little bit of oil in my coolant....should be worried about this? or will my mazda survive?

Thank you

Depends how much you poured in there........mixed with coolant, in most cases, components will recognize it as nothing but dirty coolant, but if you poured a lot in there, then definately get the coolant flush done on your car

DRAGONRACER76
02-01-2007, 02:58 PM
it's a bown head gasket, an intake gasket usually only comes in contact with incoming air, the intake manifold and the side of the head

dgallo_2000
02-07-2007, 08:30 AM
I had the same thing, but I needed to replace the radiator! The oil color I was seeing was TRANSMISSION FLUID! Not motor oil!

Add your comment to this topic!