Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

OK, now I am confused, and angry

Klutz
04-10-2005, 02:08 PM
6 weeks ago, I had my 2000 Century, 173,000 KM in to the dealers for an oil change. They came and got me and told me I had oil in the coolent resovoir, thus it meant that my intake manifold gasket was gone.... Almost a grand to replace it they quoted me. The car has never overheated, runs like a charm, over 32 mpg. I took it to my mechanic in town, and he said that it looked like there was some liquid on the engine where it would pool if this gasket was leaking. I told him it was leaking into the coolent like they said. He checked the resovoir, and made mention of the half inch or so or an oily substance on the top. I took the car home, and removed the resovoir, gave it a good cleaning and topped it up with fresh coolent my mechanic had given me.
I have now driven almost 6,000 km since the oil change and maybe 5,500 km since I cleaned the resovoir. The oil is still at the exact level on the dipstick, still clean, and the level on the resovoir is still exactly the same, with no sight of oil on top.

Is my Genuine GM dealer screwing me around? Or is this somthing that happens only from time to time with these gaskets?

Thanks

Paul

BNaylor
04-10-2005, 03:24 PM
6 weeks ago, I had my 2000 Century, 173,000 KM in to the dealers for an oil change. They came and got me and told me I had oil in the coolent resovoir, thus it meant that my intake manifold gasket was gone.... Almost a grand to replace it they quoted me. The car has never overheated, runs like a charm, over 32 mpg. I took it to my mechanic in town, and he said that it looked like there was some liquid on the engine where it would pool if this gasket was leaking. I told him it was leaking into the coolent like they said. He checked the resovoir, and made mention of the half inch or so or an oily substance on the top. I took the car home, and removed the resovoir, gave it a good cleaning and topped it up with fresh coolent my mechanic had given me.
I have now driven almost 6,000 km since the oil change and maybe 5,500 km since I cleaned the resovoir. The oil is still at the exact level on the dipstick, still clean, and the level on the resovoir is still exactly the same, with no sight of oil on top.

Is my Genuine GM dealer screwing me around? Or is this somthing that happens only from time to time with these gaskets?

Thanks

Paul

Probably. They have been known to do that. Still a good idea to monitor the situation.

jasonalden
05-31-2005, 08:22 PM
Keep a very close eye on this situation.

Read this:
http://consumerhelpline.org/co/gm

GTP Dad
06-01-2005, 05:59 AM
I agree with bnaylor3400, the dealer was probably trying to screw you over. If you have Dexcool in your car it tends to develop a brown oily substance on the top of the coolant especially in the reservoirs which is normal. Since you cleaned it out and it has not reappeared then you have probably solved your own problem. Besides $1000 to change an intake manifold gasket seems to be a bit high to me!

Flatrater
06-01-2005, 06:56 PM
I work for a dealership and I would love to tell you no one gets screwed but that would be a lie. It happens daily and I am fighting with one guy I work with that does the same things.

I have yet to see one intake gasket that caused oil in the coolant. Usually the coolant gets mixed with the oil and it looks like pancake batter in the oil pan. Or you will have an external leak.

You did the best thing in not allowing the work and just plain monitoring the coolant. A thousand dollars seems unreal to me but depeneding n the labor rate it is possible. Normal time for a gasket replacement on this engine is about 6.5 hours. The ones I do average about 600 dollars parts and labor.

BNaylor
06-02-2005, 08:26 AM
I work for a dealership and I would love to tell you no one gets screwed but that would be a lie. It happens daily and I am fighting with one guy I work with that does the same things.

I have yet to see one intake gasket that caused oil in the coolant. Usually the coolant gets mixed with the oil and it looks like pancake batter in the oil pan. Or you will have an external leak.

You did the best thing in not allowing the work and just plain monitoring the coolant. A thousand dollars seems unreal to me but depeneding n the labor rate it is possible. Normal time for a gasket replacement on this engine is about 6.5 hours. The ones I do average about 600 dollars parts and labor.

Its always good the have the opposing view and opinion especially when it tells it like it is and forthcoming.

Off topic question: How are the GM dealerships and service departments when it comes to warranty work a car that has been modded and not stock. Personally I'd wait until the bumper to bumper expired but there are people out there extensively modding 2004 cars. What's your take on it?

Add your comment to this topic!