Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Replacing the exhaust manifold on a 3.1?

bstrom1953
04-10-2005, 12:34 AM
How do you find room to replace the exhuast manifold on a 95 3.1? Is it possible to remove the upper motor mount arms and move the top of the engine towards the front of the car?

jeffcoslacker
04-10-2005, 09:35 AM
Yup. Just take those out. Take them out, don't just loosen one end, or they might get in the way or punch holes in something. After that the motor is just teetering on center mounts, and can be rolled easily. I do it by rocking the car back and forth in park, that gets the motor pitching, then I stomp the E-brake when it's as far forward as it will go, and block the wheels. For something like what you are doing, you might want to do something more secure. You can use a ratcheting tie down to pull the motor forward to the core support, then block it against the firewall with a piece of wood or something like that. The you'll have plenty of working space back there.

Don't forget to put them back in before you start/drive it, the motor will slam your radiator. (You laugh, but I've seen it done.)

Good luck!

dafeeder
06-06-2008, 11:12 AM
Do you have to take anything else loose such as the exhaust or drain the radiator?

Add your comment to this topic!