Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Mazda Miata towing

jimdolan
04-09-2005, 08:07 PM
I'm considering towing a 2004 miata, 5 spd manual, behing an RV for about 15K miles this summer. Has anyone had any experience towing this car ? Any precautions to take ? (I have a tow bar and breakaway brake system from the last car I towed) Although I don't go offroad which may be a problem with the low clearance, I do run up to 75MPH with the RV. I would appreciate any comments
Thanks

mx52nv
04-11-2005, 11:14 PM
you should be fine. I'm about to fab a custom tow bar setup for mine.

Mark Rudy
04-12-2005, 03:07 AM
I'm considering towing a 2004 miata, 5 spd manual, behing an RV for about 15K miles this summer. Has anyone had any experience towing this car ? Any precautions to take ? (I have a tow bar and breakaway brake system from the last car I towed) Although I don't go offroad which may be a problem with the low clearance, I do run up to 75MPH with the RV. I would appreciate any comments
Thanks

I work for a towing company and the towing specs for that year and model are tow from the rear, max 50 mph for unlimited miles. do not tow it from the front.

jimdolan
04-12-2005, 07:06 AM
you should be fine. I'm about to fab a custom tow bar setup for mine.

Thanks- I was concerned because I got an E-mail from Mazda saying no tow, but the dealer says no problems. I live in Sebring FL which is a big SCCA spot with 2 racing schools. I hope to have the time and shekels to try the skip barber course next year. I've been a big fan of SCCA since my first sports car and ancient XK120

mx52nv
04-13-2005, 01:28 PM
I work for a towing company and the towing specs for that year and model are tow from the rear, max 50 mph for unlimited miles. do not tow it from the front.

you should be able to tow it from either end if you remove the drive shaft.

Tylc5
12-06-2007, 10:33 PM
i have a 1991 mazda miata and i was thinking about putting a b13 rotary in it whitch it is a 1.3L so should i have any problems or dose anyone know what i can do to the motor in it that would make the most power ?

Add your comment to this topic!