Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

91 Eclipse 2.0 idles funny then stalls after warmup

stinky817
04-09-2005, 07:56 PM
hey guys.

i have a friend that has a 91 eclipse (dont know what trim level it is) but it has the 2.0 DOHC non turbo engine.

here's the deal with it. he took it through a carwash, and the idle started going funny. it would idle to about 1800, then drop down to 1200, and back and forth, in a very repitious way. so it's been parked since like september, because one day he was driving it, and it just died, and wouldn't start. i went over to look at it last week, and it started for me, was doing the idle thing, and i was sitting in the car, watching that tach. sometimes when it does it's little dip back down to 1200, the tach needle drops all the way to zero (not all the time, just sometimes) and once it warmed up, it stalled, and then wouldn't start again.

so, i'm thinking either the ignition coil, or the ignition control module. i have AllData, and it told me a way to test the ignition control module, and it didn't pass the test, but i'm not sure if the info is totally accurate.

AllData tells me to hook up a 1.5v source (a common household battery) to pins 3 and 6 for coils 1&2, and pins 2 and 3 for coils 3 and 4, and check for continuity between pins 7 and 3, and 3 and 1 (respectively)

for both tests (loaded and unloaded) i have continuity, where i shouldn't when it's unloaded.

now, the reason that i'm posting all of this info is because what's the likelyhood of both parts of the control module going bad at the same time?

so do you think it's the ICM? or what? any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

stinky817
04-11-2005, 11:27 PM
a'right, time for a little update. we replaced the ICM, and that wasn't the problem. car starts eaiser now though, but it still idles funny. idle is roughly between 1200 and 1500.

when you start the car, it goes to about 2000, and then once it runs for a few seconds, it goes back to the 1.2k-1.5k idle, and if you put any load on the engine (put it in gear, let up of the clutch a little while holding the brake) it stops jumping around, and if you touch the gas a little bit, it stops for a little bit. i'm totally lost with this car, any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

91 Eclipse
04-14-2005, 07:36 PM
I have the same problem and thought it was the ISCM but now I know its not im not going ot replace that. PM me if you find out the problem ill let you know if I figure it out.

96spyderman
04-14-2005, 07:46 PM
Could it possibly be the TPS? just a thought.....

stinky817
04-15-2005, 01:40 AM
i tested both the TPS, and the ICS, both of which tested fine... as it turns out, he would disconnect the battery any time he'd leave the car sit, and once you reconnect the battery, and let the car idle for about 15 minutes, it just magically stops, i think it has to do with a buildup in the throttle body, but it runs fine now :)

but yeah, as 96spyder said, check your TPS too :)

91 Eclipse
04-15-2005, 06:52 AM
I replaced my TPS sensor and it didnt help. theres a thread on the front page about this to.

stinky817
04-22-2005, 12:21 AM
just another update, removed the connector from the ICS, and he's been driving it around like that... but right now it's sitting in his driveway.. needs a new exhaust (stock manifold is cracked, pipe after the cat snapped in half from rust :D)

Add your comment to this topic!