Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Replaced Head Gasket,,,now won't start

98ZuZu
04-09-2005, 06:17 PM
I know I have put everything back together correctly. But now it just cranks and wont start. It does not appear I have any spark. The coil pack was working fine a week ago before I stripped the engine apart.

I am stumped. The engine is throwing a P1627 code. Some say that has something to do with the fuel sending unit so it should not be related to ignition.

Another wierd thing...if I just turn the key to the on position...the Radiator fan will turn on. Is that normal!??! The engine is cold and the fan just starts running even though the engine isn't?

Any ideas?

1998 Rodeo 2.2L

speeddemonGtV6
04-09-2005, 06:56 PM
ok did you torque the cylinder head to the right amount? if u did then take it to a shop

amigo-2k
04-09-2005, 11:17 PM
The fan on the front of the rad? in the ac switch on?

You might want you check your fuse pump relay. There should be another relay in the box under the hood you could swap around as a test.

98ZuZu
04-10-2005, 05:51 PM
I just verified that the timing marks were lined up right. They are dead on. I am really baffled with this. Everything is torqued to specifications.

I switched out some relays as suggested and no luck.

I find it hard to believe that something just went bad in the 3 days I had it off the block, but I am starting to think maybe a sensor or my coil pack is out. Anyone have any ideas on how to start trouble shooting this?

rodeo02
04-10-2005, 08:09 PM
What prompted the head gasket replacement? Are you 100% sure you dont have any bent valves? If your timing belt broke or jumped time, you will have bent valves on the 1998-2003 2.2L. A bent valve wont seat = no compression = no start. Hope that's not the case for you!
G/luck
Joel

98ZuZu
04-10-2005, 09:00 PM
No bent valves. It was a blown head gasket. I took the head in and had it checked out. Aside from that, I should still have spark regardless of compression.

Either the Coil pack is bad or the ECM is telling it not to fire. How do i figure that out though?

98ZuZu
04-12-2005, 07:09 PM
Fixed it. Haynes manual had a misprint. Plug wires were wrong.

:)

Add your comment to this topic!