Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Cold Air Intake kit....results

djv72
04-08-2005, 09:02 AM
I just purchased a 2005 Silverado 1500HD. It's got the 6.0L and a 3.73 rear-end and 4X4. I have been looking at the K&N Gen II kit as well as the Volant Kit. I saw the Volant kit on the "Two guys garage" tv show. I like the looks of the Volant Kit but, everybody that I talk to has the K&N kit. Is it, just because the K&N kit is more well known?

I only have 500miles on my new truck and I am considering one of these kits.

Is that anybody that has actually seen an increase in MPG???

Thanks,
Dan

Silverado Brethern
04-08-2005, 04:12 PM
K&N will can you more power hands down. I have never heard of anyone that owns a K&N system that wasnt completely satisfied. Get that and a nice flowmaster true dual exhaust and you will love it. But as far as mpg go, yes both an intake and exhaust will increase your mpg.....in theroy. i say that cuz the more power and pedal response you have the heavier you foot gets. No matter what you buy for a truck its not gonna give you much of an increase in mileage. The only thing that will actually effect your mpg is your driving style.

vnotaro
04-09-2005, 08:59 AM
I just purchased a 2005 Silverado 1500HD. It's got the 6.0L and a 3.73 rear-end and 4X4. I have been looking at the K&N Gen II kit as well as the Volant Kit. I saw the Volant kit on the "Two guys garage" tv show. I like the looks of the Volant Kit but, everybody that I talk to has the K&N kit. Is it, just because the K&N kit is more well known?

I only have 500miles on my new truck and I am considering one of these kits.

Is that anybody that has actually seen an increase in MPG???

Thanks,
Dan

I defnitely saw an increase in both power and mpg after installing a K&N FIPK on my 5.3L. One of the best mods I've put on the truck!

Jake795
04-10-2005, 05:23 PM
I have the volant and i love it. Is your truck 2wd or 4wd? If you plan on hitting any kind of mud or water i suggest you block off the hole for the ram air intake on the volant. I've never had my truck on the dyno, but i certainly felt a seat of the pants difference when i installed mine. I agree about the heavier pedal thing. I did the intake and liked the response and sound of it after that i got worse gas milage for the next few weeks. LOL

jake

djv72
04-11-2005, 09:14 PM
I have the volant and i love it. Is your truck 2wd or 4wd? If you plan on hitting any kind of mud or water i suggest you block off the hole for the ram air intake on the volant. I've never had my truck on the dyno, but i certainly felt a seat of the pants difference when i installed mine. I agree about the heavier pedal thing. I did the intake and liked the response and sound of it after that i got worse gas milage for the next few weeks. LOL

jake

My truck is 4wd. I don't take it off road. I purchased it for the towing power.

I tested gas mileage out this weekend. I got 16MPG (on the highway) @ 65MPH.

What year is your truck and what engine is in it?

Thanks,
Dan

TwentyPints
04-12-2005, 02:47 PM
how much difference would i notice between the k&n drop in filter and complete intake?

jeverett
04-13-2005, 06:38 AM
how much difference would i notice between the k&n drop in filter and complete intake?

I bought the whole kit and noticed a drastic improvement. I didn't try just the filter before, but I've heard good things about them also. People have also cut/modified their factory airbox to create a makeshift cold air intake using just a drop in filter.

TwentyPints
04-13-2005, 02:08 PM
at the time i couldn't afford the whole kit...wish i would have waited now though.

spackelman
04-14-2005, 11:31 PM
Got K & N for my 2002 HD crew cab, full box, 8.1 - no mpg gains

Power gain at about 2500 rpm, nice sound. No gain in mileage.

My truck weighs in at 3.3 tons (FYI)

jeverett
04-15-2005, 06:29 AM
I got the whole system off of e-bay for $170...not bad at all. I think it had about 7K miles on it. Came with the filter pre-oiled and a filter clean/re-oil kit

Jake795
04-15-2005, 01:56 PM
my truck is a 99 and has the 5.3. I do take my truck off road and had it nearly kill on me coming out of a water hole b/c water got in through the bottom of the box. I was a very deep hole with a lot of water. Other than that one problem, I have throughly enjoyed the volat system.

Jake

silveradoman
04-15-2005, 10:29 PM
How true is it that the K&N doesn´t filter enough of the dirt out of the engine and that the amount of dirt in the oil after you put in a k&n increases?

TXAGG05
04-16-2005, 02:28 AM
That's a good question, because I have a K&N drop in and I change my oil every 3k with synthetic. Even after about a month(the time it takes me to drive 3k) the oil is very dirty. Couldn't this just be burnt carbon though?

Jeb

bowtieguy
04-16-2005, 08:24 AM
How true is it that the K&N doesn´t filter enough of the dirt out of the engine and that the amount of dirt in the oil after you put in a k&n increases?

i have recently read that about K&N too.....saying that while they allow better flow it also allows more particles through as well....does seem pretty logical. i have heard an oiled foam type filter is the way to go for both flow and better filtration. i believe thats what i am going to be researching for my truck. as far as the oil looking dirty that happens very quickly and is not an indicator of your oils lubricating quality. a quick and non-scientific test to see if dirty oil is still providing protection is rub your fingers together with a bit of oil on your fingers....feel gritty? then its time for an oil and filter change if not it still may be ok. not saying this is "THE" test to determin how good your oil is still lubricating the only real way to do that is send an oil sample in for analysis.

01Blackerado
04-18-2005, 08:31 AM
Silveradoman:
Nope the only time you should notice the excess dirt problem with your K&N, is if you didnt oil it properly!!!

TXAGG05:
The reason that you are changing your oil so much is because of a few things, 1: When you put on the K&N yes you get more airflow, but with increased airflow you also get an increase USE of gasoline!!! When gas goes unburned and you add more unburnt gas then the result is dirty oil (LOW Viscosity)!! The way to correct this is to either get a better spark plug like the NGK TR55's, or use higher octane GAS like 93!!! You can also tune it out through the ECM

As for my opion on the two intakes, I'd go with the K&N hands down!! Not just cause i own one, not just cause they've been around 10 years before volant, but because your truck is...well a truck and shouldn't be using any sort of air intake that has the potential to suck in water!!! I know you probably drive fast rather then go off road!! But in the slight chance that you do off road or you do come to that flooded bridge, or you nieghbor is stuck in the snow, or whatever you might actually NEED a truck for do you want to worry about if its going to make it, OR would you rather say to yourself, "its a truck of course its going to make it"!! For the same reason that chevy decided to mount your accessories up high ex: Altinator, power steering, water pump, fuse box, battery!! Is the same reason why you should want your intake just as high... TO AVOID WATER AND OTHER HARMFUL ELEMENTS!!! If you go strickly race then go for the volant if you want overall driveability then go K&N!!!!

Add your comment to this topic!