Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Disconnecting rain sensors on wipers???

bjoker
04-07-2005, 04:54 PM
Is it possible and praticle to disconnect or toggle (on/off) the rain sensors for the wipers on a 2000 LeSabre? If so, how? Difficulty?

TIA

LeBuick
04-07-2005, 10:24 PM
Is it possible and praticle to disconnect or toggle (on/off) the rain sensors for the wipers on a 2000 LeSabre? If so, how? Difficulty?

TIA

Why? I love them. Like Ron would say, "set it and forget it"!

big420dog
04-08-2005, 10:04 AM
I WANT SOME RAIN SENSORS.... How well do them things work anyways?

bjoker
04-09-2005, 08:57 AM
I just want to have a choice on whether or not to use it.

They seems to "spaz-out" ( slow, fast, slow ) most of the time. There should be a switch to be able to use them in an automated rain sensing mode or truley timed intermittent wipers.

Why have an intermittent dial on the wiper control if over-rode by the sensors?????

I concern myself about excessive wear on the wiper motor going back in forth at varing speeds (usually prematurely aging the motor).

Since the wipers are tied into activating the headlights, I don't know the appropriate place to splice a switch.

Just a thought.

MagicRat
04-09-2005, 10:06 AM
I concern myself about excessive wear on the wiper motor going back in forth at varing speeds (usually prematurely aging the motor).

If this is your only concern, I would say relax and don't worry about it. Wiper motors are good for about 10 bazillion cycles.
All of the wiper motors I have ever replaced have succumbed to lack of use....with rust and dirt sticking up bearings and brushes because they have not been used often enough.
With regular use your wiper motor will likely last the life of the car......and if not, wiper motors are pretty cheap.

LeBuick
04-09-2005, 11:17 AM
Why have an intermittent dial on the wiper control if over-rode by the sensors?????

That is not a intermittent dial, it sets the sensitivity of the moisture sensors. I use the first setting but the max setting will wipe before the drops hit the window (seems that way). The reason they go fast and slow is because of the amount/rate of accumilation you have. The more moisture you are getting the faster they go.

I passed a semi last night coming down I70 from the tunnel. As he slushed me I could keep both hands on the wheel since the wipers auto kept me with visibility then slowed again after I got past the truck. I only wished they could since dirt also so they would know when to do a washer with wipe.

Add your comment to this topic!