Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Oxygen Sensors

mercurysniper
04-07-2005, 11:01 AM
I have a questions about the O2 Sensors in my 2000 Silverado Ext Cab, Z71. I am about to hit 100,000 miles on it and have not had a problem with the truck. I am getting ready to do some preventative maintenance on it and want to hear some opinions about changing the O2 sensors as part of this maintenance. Like i said before, never had a problem with the O2 sensors.

I will be changing the plugs and wires, changing out the transmission fluid and filter, changing out all the lights, new fuel filter, and other stuff. What do you all think about the changing the O2 sensors, even tho I haven't had any problems? I would think that if it ain't broke don't fix it, right! Any ideas?

nineball481
04-07-2005, 04:18 PM
I wouldn't change the sensors, until the computer tells you to do so. They are too expensive, in my opinion, to replace with preventitive maintence. When one of the sensors go bad, it will not hurt the truck, honestly you probably would never know that the sensor was bad, if the truck didn't tell you. Also, the sensors are easy to get to, nothing has to be moved to get them off. So go ahead and leave them there until they fail.

Does anyone know if these trucks have a timing belt or chain? If it is a belt you may want to change it, some vehicles have a zero tolerence, that if the belts goes while the engine is running, you just bought a new engine....Something to consider.

99redsilverado
04-08-2005, 12:19 AM
id wait til the comp says so too.....but as soon as it tells you to or youll be puttin cats on it.....i wouldnt do it as preventative maintenence though...too expensive

99redsilverado
04-08-2005, 12:20 AM
and o yeah they have chains

budwsr82
12-06-2005, 08:19 PM
and o yeah they have chains
hope this is the place for this...
my 96 silverado was throwing codes so i changed them all with (Bosch) pretty penny disconnected the battery let it set to reset the ECU. a few weeks later I got on it and the check engine comes on, hmmmm go to Vato zone and it says all 4 o2 sensors, had em clear the codes same thing happens a while later. this has been going on now for a few months

could this be a bad ECU?
what other problems could be causing this?

misfitt006
12-07-2005, 09:26 AM
hope this is the place for this...
my 96 silverado was throwing codes so i changed them all with (Bosch)

I'm assuming that you are talking about your spark plugs here. If that is the case, according to everything that I have heard and was told by several mechanics when I changed my plugs, you did yourself a diservice by installing Bosch plugs in your truck. From what I was told Bosch works great on foreign and sports cars, but for some reason GM truck (and some cars) just don't like them. I am sure they were a pretty penny, and the ones that I was told to use by the mechanics and from a GM buliten (iridium tipped) are pretty expensive also. I paid around $58 for a set of 8 when I changed mine. If you're still having problems you may try doing this. I was told the Bosch plugs can cause all kinds of engine problems and give strange codes.....good luck.

budwsr82
12-07-2005, 10:41 AM
I'm assuming that you are talking about your spark plugs here. If that is the case, according to everything that I have heard and was told by several mechanics when I changed my plugs, you did yourself a diservice by installing Bosch plugs in your truck. From what I was told Bosch works great on foreign and sports cars, but for some reason GM truck (and some cars) just don't like them. I am sure they were a pretty penny, and the ones that I was told to use by the mechanics and from a GM buliten (iridium tipped) are pretty expensive also. I paid around $58 for a set of 8 when I changed mine. If you're still having problems you may try doing this. I was told the Bosch plugs can cause all kinds of engine problems and give strange codes.....good luck.
hehehe no Bosch O2 sensors
I replaced all 4 and am getting the problems
ya changing plugs wouldn't help if your get ting codes on sensors
unless they are somehow connected??

Add your comment to this topic!