P0600 code

Carlsaun
04-07-2005, 09:53 AM
1996 Grand Am that's giving out a P0600 "Serial Communications Link Malfunction" code. That sounds obviously computer related.
Can anyone tell me what that means?

justin0717
04-07-2005, 01:14 PM
Any code that has to deal with the computers not comunicating with each other begins with a U.

Are you sure it wasn't "U1016 Serial Communications Malfunction", because i cant find a code P0600. Theres only "P0601 Control Module Read Only Memory (ROM)" and "P0602 Control Module Not Programmed"

If indeed it is the first one (U1016) then it means that one of the computers isnt communicating with the others. Tell me, are the low coolant light, oil pressure light, and the battery voltage light on? Also does your speedometer and gas guage and everything work properly?

If those lights are on, it means that your dash cannot communicate with the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). Your guages are themselves a computer, which communicate with the PCM, a computer that controls the engine. When the communication between these two is lost, the dash computer will light up those lights.

So let me know whats going on and ill be able to help you further.

Knifeblade
04-07-2005, 06:24 PM
Ayep, I with justin, I nada the P0600 code, I only see what Justin states. Re-read the code?????

Tam

Carlsaun
04-07-2005, 09:19 PM
Sorry guys, before I placed this post I looked it up on various web sites and even Googled it, it's a real ODBII trouble code. But, the only thing I find is the brief description, no explanation or ideas on how to deal with it. Here's the scanner manufacturer's web site to look it up: http://www.actron.com/code_lookup.php

Thanks for the help, keep trying....

justin0717
04-07-2005, 09:33 PM
Well i dont know what to tell you. Because i have access to service information sent out right by GM, and theres no p0600. But heres some info. The first zero after the P means that it is a code that is common among all OBDII cars (GM,Ford,ect). If there was a 1 there, it would mean it was only found on GM systems. For example if the code was P1600, it would be a GM specific code, not a generic OBDII code. The scanner you used may read the code as U1016 and put out it being a code p0600. Because they mean the same thing. But since your scanner is generic for all cars. It wont give specific codes for specific makes.

Look at your dash and let me know if any of those lights are on.

justin0717
04-07-2005, 09:39 PM
Ok thats a little complicated. So ill try to simplify. Every car on the road 1996 and newer has a system on it called OBDII. This system manages the emissions of the cars. Well there are certian codes that are common among all cars, these being the codes that are P(0)....and then there are the codes that are manufacturer specific. Those are P(1). The scanner you used is for all OBDII cars. It may read the GM specific code and put it out as a generic OBDII code.

Add your comment to this topic!