Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

New Catalytic Converter time......

spblend
04-07-2005, 12:15 AM
Ive got a 1995 Blazer LT 4x4 4Dr, the cat's beginnin to g, needs a replacement, any reccomendations of what i should look at? is a performance cat worth the extra bucks? should i put a full new exhaust system and up the HP ? any suggestions or whatever, let me know, itd be greatly appreciated, I live in BC canada.

- Blend

BlazerLT
04-07-2005, 12:17 AM
First of all, have you looked into your CPI injector / nut kit leaking?

spblend
04-07-2005, 12:36 AM
I was told by my mechanic that its the cat making the noise, its inside. More than likely the honeycomb has come loose over time and wear.

BlazerLT
04-07-2005, 01:06 AM
Yes, but on a 1995, the cat failure is caused by something, which is usually unburnt fuel seeping out of the injector and into the exhaust.

I would look into it or your new cat could fail within a year.

dmbrisket 51
04-07-2005, 02:36 AM
ok, go with blazers advice and put a new nut kit on your blazer, then as long as you plan on keeping the blazer, put the highflow cat and muffler on, then a cold air intake from ebay, you WILL notice a difference in your 4.3's power

BlazerLT
04-07-2005, 08:19 PM
Not just a nut kit, he needs to inspec the cpi injector as well.

Allbert
04-08-2005, 08:27 AM
I had a vehicle once with perfect fuel injection hardware, but my cat came apart because I hopped the car over a parking lot curb at 15 mph (it was covered with snow so I couldn't see it). Maybe SPBLEND just has some mechanical damage from off-roading or something?

BlazerLT
04-08-2005, 02:02 PM
I had a vehicle once with perfect fuel injection hardware, but my cat came apart because I hopped the car over a parking lot curb at 15 mph (it was covered with snow so I couldn't see it). Maybe SPBLEND just has some mechanical damage from off-roading or something?

Let's not start assuming hypothetical situations.

He has a 1995 which more than likely has a leaking injector, which will cause cat failure.

Let's deal with the known for now.

Allbert
04-08-2005, 02:55 PM
Let's not start assuming hypothetical situations.

He has a 1995 which more than likely has a leaking injector, which will cause cat failure.

Let's deal with the known for now.

It was more of a question really since he'd indicated a noise coming from the catalyst... I really don't have enough info to suggest a diagnosis at this point, but SPBLEND can take a quick look at it and the surrounding pipe to see if it has taken a hit that could've done any damage. For the leaking injector, will it usually set a trouble code and light up the SES light on this model or is the extra fuel not enough get the 02 sensor out of range?

BlazerLT
04-08-2005, 02:57 PM
It was more of a question really since he'd indicated a noise coming from the catalyst... I really don't have enough info to suggest a diagnosis at this point, but SPBLEND can take a quick look at it and the surrounding pipe to see if it has taken a hit that could've done any damage. For the leaking injector, will it usually set a trouble code and light up the SES light on this model or is the extra fuel not enough get the 02 sensor out of range?

That is true, but I would look into a cat melting in a 95 seeing it is more than likely.

zr2rando
04-08-2005, 03:51 PM
95 model has a problem with the fuel pressure regulator leaking and that results in the same problem that leaking injectors give...too much excess fuel being dumped in the manifold/bad driveability just after vehicle has sat for a while (fuel leaks out while sitting)...and the cat dies because it overheats because of the excess fuel going out the tailpipe...
If you don't fix the excess fuel problem a new cat won't live long either.
good thing to check on in your case, good luck!
Rando

spblend
04-11-2005, 08:35 PM
Ok, so as I understand, what your saying is it would be wise to check my CPI injector or whatnot before getting a new cat, to see if its leaking excess fuel. The reason being, 95's have a common prob with this? and that putting a new cat on, and NOT checking the CPI may cause the new cats life to be cut short?

Should the CPI be leaking or nut kit or whatever (Im not too sure about this stuff here, uneducated on this part) is this generally a part that needs to be replaced? or just an adjustment? or what kinda situation would become of this.

Lastly, Not knowing practically anything about the CPI or Nut kit or this part of the system, can somebody tell me how to go about checking this? steps and whatnot, and what i am checking for?

Any help or tips or whatever would be awesome if someone knows all about this or has the time to help me out.

Thanks guys

- Blend

wolfox
04-11-2005, 10:44 PM
Search is your friend. Took me 3 seconds to find all of this stuff:

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/search.php?searchid=895084

BlazerLT
04-11-2005, 10:48 PM
Ok, so as I understand, what your saying is it would be wise to check my CPI injector or whatnot before getting a new cat, to see if its leaking excess fuel. The reason being, 95's have a common prob with this? and that putting a new cat on, and NOT checking the CPI may cause the new cats life to be cut short?

Should the CPI be leaking or nut kit or whatever (Im not too sure about this stuff here, uneducated on this part) is this generally a part that needs to be replaced? or just an adjustment? or what kinda situation would become of this.

Lastly, Not knowing practically anything about the CPI or Nut kit or this part of the system, can somebody tell me how to go about checking this? steps and whatnot, and what i am checking for?

Any help or tips or whatever would be awesome if someone knows all about this or has the time to help me out.

Thanks guys

- Blend

Exactly, search for cpi injector and you will fnd loads of information.

Cure the cause, not the result.

Add your comment to this topic!