Buying a '99 Amigo

gapboi210
04-06-2005, 10:51 PM
I am looking at getting a '99 Amigo. It is a hardtop with the 3.2 V6. It has 42,000 miles, power everything. I am getting it for about $6259. Is this a goo deal? I read the post about the 'purchase of a 98 amigo. Is there anything i should look for? Any common problems with these?

Thanks for the help

marcre
04-06-2005, 11:33 PM
Seems like a good price. Is it four wheel drive? Is it from a dealer or a private party?

Make sure you get a list of previous maintenance done.

One thing to keep an eye on is oil consumption. I have a 99 Rodeo V6 4x4 and I burn about 1qt every 3k. I check my oil every other gas fill-up. It is not a big deal, annoying yes, but not bad.

Isuzus are great, but they need the regular maintenance done on time and done correctly. Also oil changes are a must, do them on time, don't push it. I've had my Rodeo a year now and I still love it. I moved last summer and it did all the moving for me.

I recently added up all the money I put into it and over the last year I put $1800 in to it. Now that was all regular stuff, and brakes are expenssive. I want to keep this thing going for a long time. Any car as it gets up in milage will require regualar maintenance.

Sounds nice, I've always loved the Amigo, my neighbor has one, I just wish he would wash it. Get it I think you will like it. Just make sure you look it over real well, because with all used vehicles, well they are used. So make sure everything looks good, and drive it hard on a test drive. Push all the buttons to make sure everything works, I learned this the hard way. I needed a new motor for my rear wiper when I got it. I never checked it. Crawl under it to make sure it is good looking underneath as well.

Marc

amigo-2k
04-06-2005, 11:48 PM
2wd or 4wd? either way that sounds like a heck of a good deal.

Swap the fluids, filters and clean the EGR (and the EGR port) and PCV, swap in new plugs too. Do a general tune up and watch your oil over the next 6 months or so.

see the FAQ link below for more how to;s

gapboi210
04-07-2005, 11:25 AM
Well, we are working on numbers at it looks like I can get it for about $7000-$7200, It is 2wd. It is from a dealer. I am looking at this cause I have heard that Isuzu has a good reliability rating and it is so far under KBB retail I can trade in my car and put all my negative equity into it. The Amigo is basically the same thing as a Rodeo right?

amigo-2k
04-07-2005, 11:30 AM
yes from the doors foward it is all Rodeo.

one of your frist upgrades should be shocks. The OEM shocks are Horrible!

Monroe Sensatracs are the way to go.

Watch the oil and keep up on the maintaince and tranny flushes and it will live a long time!

Racing Rice
05-19-2005, 09:41 AM
Also keep an eye on the fuel guage.. Isuzu's seem to have a reputation for their sending units going bad. I know ours is. It's a cheap fix, it just requires dropping the tank. I'll probably be fixing ours in a few weeks. Our '99 only has 55K miles.

Add your comment to this topic!