Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Poll: Do you spray without protection?

Hawk312
04-06-2005, 10:13 PM
I was just wondering how many of have been spraying using aresol cans without a respirator. I have been into this hobby for almost 25 years, and I am starting to wonder how much of an effect this hobby has had on my health. I personally dont remember ever using a respirator though always using decent ventilation.

TheBenzon
04-06-2005, 10:33 PM
well would it ever hurt to wear protection so the best thing is too. You know its good not to risk health.

RallyRaider
04-06-2005, 10:34 PM
I've learnt my lesson and always use a respirator when I spray, especially indoors. Beats picking black crud out of your nose the next day. Not to mention what it could be doing to your lungs. Even more important now I'm using more laquers and even dabbling with urethanes.

Whumbachumba
04-06-2005, 10:37 PM
I paint in the garage when the door is fully open so I really don't have to, but I do just to be safe.

Hawk312
04-06-2005, 10:37 PM
well would it ever hurt to wear protection so the best thing is too. You know its good not to risk health.

Well....sorry, but duh. :D

Can we have answers to the question please?

aN4rK1
04-06-2005, 10:44 PM
i do sometimes, and i dont sometimes i dunno. And to top that off...I SPRAY IN MY BASEMENT!! haha crappy vents a well, i get half decent paint jobs *shurgs*

TheBenzon
04-06-2005, 10:44 PM
well yes were a respirator

mike@af
04-06-2005, 10:45 PM
I wear a respirator most of the time. Like when Im dealing with Auto Lacquers and Urethanes. But when it comes to Tamiya Acrylic...its about half the time. I think Tamiya Acrylics smell like berrys or something fruity..

mike united
04-06-2005, 10:52 PM
Just invested in a decent mask from 3M. Before that it was a case of holding my breath in the garage, then running out after every little shot of paint to get my breath back again :screwy:

Mike :sunglasse

druid_99
04-06-2005, 11:00 PM
I currently paint at my friends' hobby shop as my airbrush handpiece is damaged (yet to be replaced). I wear a respirator most of the time (of course, I bring my own), surgery glove, apron and the painting booth is ventilated with 10 inch fan sucking the vapour and blowing it outside :iceslolan Well, prevention is better than cure, right? :)

youngdrifter_x
04-06-2005, 11:04 PM
I just lift up my shirt over my mouth when i spray. usually a sorry looking shirt.

cbrain
04-07-2005, 12:04 AM
I airbrush lacquers most of the time. I got me my respirator even before I received my airbrush and compressor.

So the answer is no, I never spray without protection.

hrmodeler
04-07-2005, 01:22 AM
I'm using respirator, specially when I'm painting with auto colors.

Bas Carwash
04-07-2005, 01:37 AM
Well, I'm probably the first one to not use anything at all. I spray in the garage with the door open. I have a asthmatic allergy but I've never had in problems. It might be smart to buy a respirator but so far I've never used any and never had any problems.

TvD
04-07-2005, 01:57 AM
I always wear a respirator.

Tim

DukeMan
04-07-2005, 02:19 AM
I too wear a respirator, most of the time I´m modelling actually and specially when I´m dealing with flocking (nasty stuff!). I´m only 16 but since I think I will be doing this kinda stuff for many years I figured that using an respirator from the beginning would be a good idea.

Snooker
04-07-2005, 02:48 AM
I don't use an respirator. I wear glasses, a respirator doesn't fit while I'm wearing my glasses.

Lurchio
04-07-2005, 05:34 AM
I wear a paint mask and use extraction. Not to use them is crazy!
The story of "I spray in a garage with the door open so I don't need to worry" is nonsense!

Do you guys seriously not realise how bad for you breathing this stuff in actually is????

Amazon
04-07-2005, 05:45 AM
I almost never use a respirator; when airbrushing i´m standing under the kitchen fan, and when dealing with cans i´m out on the balcony..
I do own a respirator,but the last time i used it was when i was spraying rustproofing under my 1:1 car..

Sticky Fingers
04-07-2005, 07:21 AM
I'm sorry but some people here are just stupid, crazy or both. Just because you're 'in your garage' doesn't mean the paint is not going to find it's way into your lungs. And as for puting a 'sorry looking shirt' over your face.....well....you'll be the one with the sorry looking face my friend when the doc says you have lung damage or worse, the big 'c'.

As you can tell, I use a respirator. Always do, whenever I'm using spray can or airbrush.

This shit is dangerous! Would you consider being a glue sniffer and messing up your lungs/brain? Thought not, so why not shell the 25 quid and get a decent bit of protection. Trust me, you WILL pay for it later if you don't & how silly will you feel that your children/spouse/grandchildren have lost you through a 'hobby'.

Think about it...........

RallyFanatic
04-07-2005, 07:38 AM
I use a fully vented sprayroom with an ernormous fan behind it to suck the fumes out, but i dont use any other protection (apart from gloves, because my hand will be all covered in paint and itch). When we had the safety instructions for painting they said we didn't have to use respirators or anything, even when spraying with two-component paint. And those people have to answer to the ARBO (health and safety department) so they'll try to be careful.

Vric
04-07-2005, 08:13 AM
It depend of the paint.

I use a mask for:
- Lacquer Paint
- Airbrushing (take more time)
- Sanding Resin
- When I spray lacquer or Windex (damn this stuff smell !!) for cleaning my airbrush.

I don't:
- When I spray paint. I'm usually there for less than a minute.

mickbench
04-07-2005, 08:32 AM
I use a mask when using TS or automotive sprays. I spray in the garage and once I'm done I'm out of there.. It does smell bad, even with the mask on and I wear glasses so when I'm spraying I spray without my glasses on, just so I can get the mask to fit my face. Sod not being about to see from a distance. I'm working up close, so the mask goes on and the glasses come off. I like breathing correctly. Strange to say, it's important to me, can't think why..!!

I also use a dust mask when I do heavy sanding, but, and I don't know why the other night I forgot to put my dust mask on when sanding some resin. After about 20 mins I started to cough, and then I put it on..!!

Paint masks, dust masks are important. You should wear them. I do spray in the garage, and I wouldn't NEVER spray without my mask on. And I don't hang around once I'm done. If spraying mist coats I leave the part covered and then re-entered 15 minutes later. To hang around is just pure nuts.

SchuberT
04-07-2005, 10:13 AM
My dad refuses to invest in a respirator because he thinks the exhaust fan is enough.... looks like it's time for me to take some initiative. I saw some at Napa Auto Parts the other day and considered grabbing a set.

M4tt83
04-07-2005, 10:21 AM
I use a mask when using TS or automotive sprays. I spray in the garage and once I'm done I'm out of there.. It does smell bad, even with the mask on and I wear glasses so when I'm spraying I spray without my glasses on, just so I can get the mask to fit my face. Sod not being about to see from a distance. I'm working up close, so the mask goes on and the glasses come off. I like breathing correctly. Strange to say, it's important to me, can't think why..!!

I also use a dust mask when I do heavy sanding, but, and I don't know why the other night I forgot to put my dust mask on when sanding some resin. After about 20 mins I started to cough, and then I put it on..!!

Paint masks, dust masks are important. You should wear them. I do spray in the garage, and I wouldn't NEVER spray without my mask on. And I don't hang around once I'm done. If spraying mist coats I leave the part covered and then re-entered 15 minutes later. To hang around is just pure nuts.
Damn, I think I can only focus fully 3-6 inches from my face without my glasses on.

mickbench
04-07-2005, 10:47 AM
Damn, I think I can only focus fully 3-6 inches from my face without my glasses on.

Hmm.. I'm OK for applying spray without glasses. I tried with glasses on and it just wasn't right. I couldn't fit both on, and if forced I ended up steaming the lens up, and then I really couldn't see..

So, better to have "some" vison then none at all..!! Anyhow it's not like I'm working from a distance.. Problem is, as my eyes get more out of wack, then what am I going to do..

mike@af
04-07-2005, 11:16 AM
Forgot to mention, I also wear a respirator when sanding polyester putties among other putties.

tonioseven
04-07-2005, 11:43 AM
I wear a respirator most of the time unless I'm outside; then I just turn my back to the wind/breeze and hold my breath.

Amazon
04-07-2005, 01:00 PM
I see that quite a ffew uses respirator or something else, when sanding putty. Maybe i should too.. :confused:
i sneeze a lot after sanding putty ( almost no sneeze after spraying tough..) so that ultrafine dust is dangerous too :puke:

dag65
04-07-2005, 03:48 PM
Well, I'm probably the first one to not use anything at all. I spray in the garage with the door open. I have a asthmatic allergy but I've never had in problems. It might be smart to buy a respirator but so far I've never used any and never had any problems.
SO far........
These things a cummulitive and one day you will have the biggest asthma attack you have ever had, wear a respirator buddy.
I use one all the time, I even usually wear it when I am using CA

D_LaMz
04-07-2005, 04:11 PM
I have not used one, but do you guys know where to get one that its cheap?

primera man
04-07-2005, 04:58 PM
I have never used one for any of my models. Maybe thats why i'm going silly and losing my hair

RallyRaider
04-07-2005, 05:31 PM
When we had the safety instructions for painting they said we didn't have to use respirators or anything, even when spraying with two-component paint. And those people have to answer to the ARBO (health and safety department) so they'll try to be careful.

Sounds sus to me. I've heard the analogy that breathing in fumes from two part urethane is like inhaling a plastic bag. Very, very, very bad for you lungs. Talking to the guys at an automotive paint store they told me that in Australia it is the law that all spray painters must use a respirator. There are big fines for employers if they do not provide the correct PPE. Differing opinions - I'd err on the side of caution where your health is involved.

ON the subject of sanding, I only bother when it's resin or using power tools. Otherwise wet sanding is enough to keep the dust down for me.

Another important safety precaution is to use eye protection, again especially when using power tools. Safety glasses are cheap, wise to get a pair if you haven't already.

druid_99
04-07-2005, 07:43 PM
ON the subject of sanding, I only bother when it's resin or using power tools. Otherwise wet sanding is enough to keep the dust down for me.

Another important safety precaution is to use eye protection, again especially when using power tools. Safety glasses are cheap, wise to get a pair if you haven't already.

I agree. I wear them when sanding using power tools and dry sanding.

Wearing eye protection is another important safety precaution. You don't know what will come flying when using power tools on your models.

hks_kansei
04-07-2005, 08:04 PM
when i spray i use a paper dust mask (yes i know i might as well not bother) but i hardly ever spray, or paint. plus i'm able to breathe really shallow for long periods.

goggles are a real good thing, even without power tools, i cant remember how much crap i've had in my eyes from sawing, or sanding by hand.

worst was a piece of aluminium from a deodorant can (empty one).
it was stupid, i tried to make a pulse jet engine, and succeded in getting shit in my eye, and nearly blowing off my hand.

Future Boy
04-07-2005, 10:07 PM
I've never used one, and always paint outdoors, leaving the models to dry outside. Of course it could have caused my cancer...

Wearing goggles is a must when using power tools. I put them on instinctively when I was using a drill on my 1:1 car earlier.

Sticky Fingers
04-08-2005, 07:23 AM
Of course it could have caused my cancer...

Is this a typo? Do you REALLY have cancer?

RallyRaider
04-08-2005, 07:25 AM
I wondered about that line too. I think and hope it is a typo.

RallyFanatic
04-08-2005, 12:23 PM
Sounds sus to me. I've heard the analogy that breathing in fumes from two part urethane is like inhaling a plastic bag. Very, very, very bad for you lungs. Talking to the guys at an automotive paint store they told me that in Australia it is the law that all spray painters must use a respirator. There are big fines for employers if they do not provide the correct PPE. Differing opinions - I'd err on the side of caution where your health is involved.

Well i don't know why they don't tell us to take special care. You'd think that they don't want their students dying before they've paid off their debts. I checked today and they said that you shouldn't fully inhale it, and if you were not in it 24/7 there wouldn't be a problem. Maybe they softened the edges on the university policy on this, but i don't know why they'd tell me that.

tigeraid
04-08-2005, 10:21 PM
I always use a basic paper mask you can buy at home depot, and my paint booth is ventilated straight out the window. Still, the fumes hang in my office a little bit for a half hour or so.

Future Boy
04-09-2005, 07:04 PM
No I have (had?) testicular cancer. They removed the tumor a few years ago, had 3 types of cancer inside, luckily it hadn't spread. I go for regular follow-ups of bloodwork, x-ray and CT-scans (every month the 1st year, every other month the second year, every 4 months the 3rd year, and now every 6 months), luckily it hasn't come back yet. Had a close call last month, luckily the radiologist mis-read the scan.

99civichic
04-10-2005, 01:56 AM
I don't use a respirator of any kind, I usually spray outside with my back to the wind...I inhaled much worse than a little paint working at a machine shop last summer, carb cleaner, naptha and creositic acid can't be good for your lungs.

SupaMan89T
04-10-2005, 03:49 AM
i always spray without protection..........because im out doors when i spray :)

mike@af
04-10-2005, 11:32 AM
Why do people think spraying out doors really makes a big difference?

While were on model safety, NEVER EVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, EVER, where gloves while operating, a drill press, lathe, mill, or other rotating arbors. If that glove gets caught it will rip your fingers off, and I've seen that almost happen.

ItalianStallion131
04-10-2005, 12:47 PM
I paint on the window sill, with the window open so I dont have to

Honoturtle
04-10-2005, 02:46 PM
I'll be honest, the thought of using a respirator while modeling never crossed my mind. If I ever do paint, it's either outside in the open or in my car port. I don't use any type or protection even while wet sanding plastic (I plan to on resin though), filing (dry plastic), or gluing. Maybe safety should play a bigger role in my hobby.

On the other hand, I do use safety glasses while working with power tools.

Sticky Fingers
04-10-2005, 03:00 PM
No I have (had?) testicular cancer. They removed the tumor a few years ago, had 3 types of cancer inside, luckily it hadn't spread. I go for regular follow-ups of bloodwork, x-ray and CT-scans (every month the 1st year, every other month the second year, every 4 months the 3rd year, and now every 6 months), luckily it hasn't come back yet. Had a close call last month, luckily the radiologist mis-read the scan.

Man, I really hoped it was a typo. Glad to hear you're in the clear now!

Murray Kish
04-10-2005, 04:12 PM
Depends on the situation.
1. minor paint jobs or touch ups with the air brush - likely no respirator, but I do put a fan on to circulate the air across the desk.
2. major paint jobs with airbrush (like a car body) - yes, respirator goes on (plus fan.)
3. spray can paint jobs are usually done outside, with plenty of 'ventilation', so I tend to skip the mask

Murray

Lurchio
04-11-2005, 07:27 AM
I paint on the window sill, with the window open so I dont have to

This makes me laugh!

No-one says you have to! No-one's gonna come and shut you down, the paint police won't be interested!

It's your health sunshine!

RallyRaider
04-15-2005, 04:33 AM
Your lungs, your problem PD. Nobody here is suggesting aqueous acrylics are a great risk. But the paints I use sure are. I hope you aren't implying one should not use a respirator when painting two pac?
True that some paints are less toxic than others, but unless you have the appropriate MSDS or similar info and can be 100% certain, then the sensible thing to do is be as safe as possible. Since this modelling forum is here to help people, it's best that we teach them to be overcautious rather than foolhardy with their health.

RallyRaider
04-15-2005, 04:40 AM
Further, a quick google turned up this on the Western Australian Worksafe site:

5.4.3 Two part polyurethane paint

When spraying two part polyurethane paint the sprayer must wear:

*a supplied air respirator with an adequate protection factor; and
*full length overalls, appropriate chemically resistant gloves and eye protection.

Alternative respiratory protection may only be used in situations where the use of supplied air respirators increases the risk of injury to the operator due to falling, tripping, etc.

The WorkSafe Western Australia Commission Code of Practice for Personal Protective Equipment provides further guidance on personal protective equipment.

No person should use two part polyurethane paint without first considering the information provided in the MSDS for these paints.

5.4.4 Two part epoxy paints and two part catalysed acrylic paint

The respiratory protective equipment required will depend on the toxicity of the paint and the conditions under which the paints are applied. The respirators must be selected as part of the risk assessment and control process.

The following points need to be considered:

*exposure standards for the various paint components. Exposure standards have not been established for some of the hazardous components of these paints (eg. curing agents);
*the information provided in the manufacturer’s MSDS;
*ventilation in the area where the paint is to be applied;
*the level and duration of exposure; and
*the protection factor of the respirator.

No person should use two part epoxy paint or two part catalysed acrylic paint without first considering the information provided in the MSDS for these paints.

When spraying two part epoxy paint or two part catalysed acrylic paint the sprayer must wear:

*respiratory protection that maintains exposures below the exposure standard. Where there is no exposure standard, exposures should be kept as low as reasonably achievable. Half face respirators with combined particulate/organic vapour cartridges may be used in well ventilated areas. Higher protection factors (eg. full face or powered air purifying respirators) will be required where ventilation is not adequate. When spraying in poorly ventilated or enclosed areas, particular care should be taken to ensure that appropriate personal protective equipment is worn in accordance with the recommendations contained in the manufacturer’s Material Safety Data Sheet; and
*full length overalls, appropriate chemically resistant gloves and eye protection.

5.4.5 Organic solvent and water based paint

When organic solvent or water based paints are being sprayed and the exposure standard is likely to be exceeded, the sprayer must wear:

*a respirator with a combined vapour/particulate filter. The respirator must have an adequate protection factor. Where spraying is carried out in poorly ventilated conditions other types of respirators should be selected as described in 5.4.4 above; and

If persons entering the spraying area are exposed to fumes and mist they must wear the same protective equipment as worn by the sprayer.

So with high enough exposure levels even waterbased paints can be hazardous according to WA state laws!

Purpura Delujo
04-16-2005, 11:29 PM
Read the post again chief, I didn't say DON'T wear a respirator when spraying 2 part paint. I always wear my mask when painting anything at work or at Tafe but when I'm painting a model for 40 seconds outside and then closing the door on my way back into the house I don't bother. Why don't you do a 'google' for the bloke who said he puts a shirt over his face... just to inform and teach some people on AF. I'm putting my post in this thread to say what I do, you don't target it as an OHS issue, you're damn right they are my lungs.
Thankyou, come again. I just won't bother now, ok?

RallyRaider
04-17-2005, 03:13 AM
Of course I read your post, hence my response. Don't be juvenile.

The difference between you and the shirt guy is your post attempted to belittle those who made a perfectly correct recommendation to use protection when spraying toxic chemicals. Not only that, but you claimed some legitimacy because you are undertaking a spray painting apprenticeship. Now, by your own admission you say you do the correct thing at school and work but cut corners at home. Okay if you know what you are dealing with, but many of the newbies here don’t know the difference between dangerous and relatively safe compounds, levels or conditions.

Not bothering in future would be a preferable course of action to spreading misinformation. You might also consider not bothering to take the air of a hurt child when a churlish, half assed post on your part attracts a straightforward correction.

ToMiNAToR333
04-19-2005, 12:34 AM
hey, just a side note, but it relates to this post so here goes....

even when spraying non -toxic paint a respirator should be worn. the paint will enter ur lungs while still wet, and then dry in ur lungs. it may be safe to eat (and taste good too!! ;)), but can u imagine what dried paint in ur lungs would do to ur breathing?!?
basically, its not just the chemies in paints that do the damage, its the paints aswell!!!
that said, to answer the topic, i currently spray without a respirator, but thats coz im a pauper and i dont have the cash at the moment!!. but i have only been spraying for about a month (not that that make it ok!) and it is the next thing on my list! i have put my porsche carrera gt on hold ( :( ) just so i can get one...

also, i use a paint fume can to reduce the amount of toxic particles in the air when i spray. i use it to spray into when cleaning my airbrush, and i find it invaluble, and its real simple to make. its just a old thinner can, with a hole in the side and a respirator filter on top. u put the ab nozzle into the hole, spray, and all the air coming out is filtered! i use it alot coz i clean my ab wqith laquer thinners. if anyone would like some info or pics, msg me and ill help ya out!

anjaliart
12-23-2015, 11:51 AM
You should always use a respirator mask when spray painting to protect your health. What you want is called a half face mask and if you are using spray paints that contain solvents, you will want “organic vapor cartridges” to go in the mask. I always recommend getting a mask with soft silicon in the face piece because that is so much more gentle on your face than a hard mask. If you will be wearing it for any length of time, you will thank me. Test your mask by using essential oils to make a room smell and then moving around in your mask to make sure that in all positions it sticks to your face and you don't smell any of the oils. Then you will know it works for sure. If the seal is broken, it may not be the right size for your face and the protection will not be good. Make sure to change your cartridges as much as possible to avoid them wearing out.

Add your comment to this topic!