97 Chevy Blazer won't shift in "Reverse"

airmiles
04-06-2005, 08:27 PM
Hi guys/gals,

After lunch at McDonald's, the Blazer will not shift into "Reverse"... The stick can go to "R", but it won't back up. It can only go Forward, and there is a little noise humming. Also it takes a while now to shift into gears, I think at over 3,500 RPM, it would go to 2nd gear. It always shift at less than 2,000 RPM before.

So...

1. No Backing Up/Reverse on the transmission
2. It takes longer to shift to 2nd gear now going Forward.
3. Everything else works except for Reverse.

Is it the Tranny or something else ?

Any ideas will be appreciated. Thanks !

BlazerLT
04-07-2005, 12:17 AM
Ever changed the tranny filter and fluid?

airmiles
04-07-2005, 12:52 AM
Yup... about 2 years ago for the tranny and filter.

You figured that's the problem it won't go in reverse ? hmm... maybe I should get the tranny and filter done tomorrow ?

My buddy has a computerized code scanner and it didn't pick up any code on it. :(

If it's the transmission, I'm looking at over $2,000... at least that's what the dealer was asking. Not sure if he's right or not. :(

BlazerLT
04-07-2005, 01:00 AM
Just for a try, turn your key to the on position and remove the two ecm fuses and the transmission fuse for five minutes and if it helps.

Just to rule out the computer.

Allbert
04-07-2005, 08:07 AM
Don't those sound like the symptoms for the sun gear reaction shell failure?

blazee
04-07-2005, 08:17 AM

That was my first thought when I read this post yesterday, I didn't want to be the one to break it to them though. That is a $2000.00+ job. I don't know why people pay that though, because you can buy a rebuilt tranny for under $1000.00. Hopefully it is something simple.

TonyMazz
04-07-2005, 09:14 AM

Yep...that's what I think it is too......

Been-there-done-that for a $1850.00 plus tax....and now I have about 50K on the rebuilt and shifts like champ...but I no longer put it in reverse then coast a little, and slap her into drive...I now come to a complete stop, then shift to change directions.

TonyMazz
04-07-2005, 10:48 AM
Yup... about 2 years ago for the tranny and filter.

You figured that's the problem it won't go in reverse ? hmm... maybe I should get the tranny and filter done tomorrow ?

My buddy has a computerized code scanner and it didn't pick up any code on it. :(

If it's the transmission, I'm looking at over $2,000... at least that's what the dealer was asking. Not sure if he's right or not. :(

Chances are your buddy's scanner won't pickup the tranny codes...but a dealer can.....

Allbert
04-07-2005, 11:22 AM
For anyone whose been through this, are there typically big metal chunks in the oil pan when a reaction shell fails? Would Airmiles be able to confirm the problem by dropping his pan?

TonyMazz
04-07-2005, 11:29 AM
For anyone whose been through this, are there typically big metal chunks in the oil pan when a reaction shell fails? Would Airmiles be able to confirm the problem by dropping his pan?

In my case, it broke clean off, but tech told me if you keep trying to drive it....you will trash the whole tranny....metal everywhere.

When mine broke, I drove it right to the shop in second gear....23 miles, trying to keep the rpms around 2500.....

I'd say yes to your question though...should be able to see something....

Allbert
04-07-2005, 11:30 AM
Another question, since 2nd and reverse go with the sun shell, will putting the shifter in 2nd from a stop (so that you would start in 2nd instead of 1st) keep the truck from moving at all? BTW, there's another thread in this forum where someone claims a non dealer tranny shop only charged $850 for the parts and labor to repair a sun shell failure. I've also seen aftermarket transmission parts vendors (maybe Sonnax) who sell beefed up versions of the shell that supposedly will not fail like the OEMs do.

chcknugget
04-07-2005, 12:40 PM
Isn't there a notorius problem with ignition switches in 97 blazers? I heard that a defective switch will mess with the tranny. Just a thought.

BlazerLT
04-07-2005, 09:22 PM
Isn't there a notorius problem with ignition switches in 97 blazers? I heard that a defective switch will mess with the tranny. Just a thought.

You got a point there.

Good to bring that up.

airmiles
04-07-2005, 09:55 PM
Well, I took it to the dealership today, and they found it's internal on the tranny. Anyway, they quoted me a price (tranny) higher than my last quote.

*sigh* After 7 years with this baby (trouble-free & reliable until now), I finally traded it in for something else. Thanks for all your help, guys.
:)

BlazerLT
04-07-2005, 09:57 PM
You traded it in because of this?

Add your comment to this topic!