Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

200+ whp NA help

94DXSiR
04-06-2005, 07:26 PM
Well, Ive decided just stray away from boosting my civic for now, Ill leave that up to my drag crx later in the future. But Ive been trying to find out a few things. With the mods I have done already I would just like to build up my engine a little more. HP wise I want to break the 200 to the wheels mark with simple bolt ons and minor internal work. But Ive been looking and I need some help, buget wise is not much an issue, but I would like to be able to pay for gas once its done and have enough for food you know. But I guess heres the question.

Along with the mods I have already done. I am planning to get cams, probally going to go with a skunk2 stage 1 setup for my top end, so its only really the bottom end I need help with, so thats going to be Skunk2 stage 1 cams/w cam gears, springs, retainers, but not valves. But the bottom end is where I have alot of questions. I am not sure what to get or what to do, would I just need to maybe concentrate on getting some good pistons and rods, or is there more? I know I could get a better crank, but for the power im looking for would I really need one, as I said, I would be happy with just breaking that 200 HP mark on mild mods, as well getting a lightened pully kit, probally AEM's kit for them, would all this I have planned be enough to do that? Without getting a new crank, just going with a stronger top end with better rods and pistons? and if so, what kind of pistons would anyone recomend? And would anyone recomend anything I might be missing? Suspension work is still being researched, so I dont need much help on that.

civickiller
04-06-2005, 10:57 PM
not doable with minor bolt ons. need bigger cams than the stage1, at least stage2. comp ratio at least up to 12. headported would help. lots of other things

94PreludeJDM
04-07-2005, 12:11 AM
Do you want to keep the engine you have? Because if not, you could start with an H22 swap, that'll give you like 170ish hp to the ground to start with.

94DXSiR
04-07-2005, 01:01 AM
I already have a B16A Swap in there, maybe I should have mentioned that one.

turboEKhatch
04-07-2005, 09:33 AM
I already have a B16A Swap in there, maybe I should have mentioned that one.

AHAHAHAHA.

200 WHP all motor with a stock stroke B16 is a completely built motor. Friend of mine just cracked 200 to the ground with an 85mm B16, 12.75:1 compression, RLZ head, TWM ITB's, BC 4+ cams, pauter rods, tuned with Autronic. Took a lot of tuning and dyno time to get it past 200 WHP.

civickiller
04-07-2005, 01:02 PM
how did he run such high comp with those cams ? how close was it ?

turboEKhatch
04-07-2005, 01:33 PM
how did he run such high comp with those cams ? how close was it ?

I don't know what the PV clearance was, but it's enough. There's lots of people that run more compression than that with big cams.

94DXSiR
04-07-2005, 03:53 PM
Maybe I should just go back to boost...

turboEKhatch
04-07-2005, 04:06 PM
Maybe I should just go back to boost...

Maybe you should, especially with a B16. You'll make more WHP on a stock B16 with boost than you ever will with even a completely built unstreetable race gas naturally aspirated B16.

94DXSiR
04-07-2005, 04:14 PM
Well, sorry for the waist of time on that one, looks like its back to the debate between turbos again...now the fun part, finding a street legal turbo that is made for both my engine and my car, yey for "search"!!! Boo for my civic and the mods that are going to have to be taken off once I can acctually make up my mind, anyone else ever have any problems with not being able ot make up their mind? Like making a plan, and changing it near daily? Or is it just me?

turboEKhatch
04-07-2005, 04:59 PM
Nope, it most definitely is not you. I make changes even after I've ordered parts, so don't feel too bad :) Where do you live? If it's not Cali, it's not hard to get a turbo kit to pass emissions. It's not hard to bribe the emissions guy, but I would never recommend that.

94DXSiR
04-07-2005, 05:14 PM
Well, I was born in california, but im in the navy right now. But right now Im stationed in DC, Maryland. They are not quite as bad, but just as strict as cali. But I dont know, I think I might go move to washington state near a few friends of mine as long as I can find a good enough job once i get out of the navy to support my wife and I. But I did write another forum when I was looking up the edelbrock turbo kits, those are 50 state legal and made for the engine, but not quite the same car, but as for boost I wouldnt be doing anything major, I know ive covered this in another post that the civic is still going to be my daily driver. Im only looking for that 200 to the wheels mark be that be NA or FI. Thanks for the help, and one of these days hopefully I can post that my goal has been met one way or another.

turboEKhatch
04-07-2005, 05:54 PM
An Edelbrock kit designed for a 99/00 SI will fit, you just might need to do some modding of the charge piping. IE: get a hacksaw, trim some to fit, maybe buy 20 bucks worth of piping from a local steel place, have it welded at a muffler shop. If you arn't living in california you really don't need to worry about parts with a CARB EO number, so you can get pretty much any turbo kit to pass emissions. I have a friend that lives in AZ, every time he needs to pass emissions he yanks his turbo kit, reinstalls the stock header, and a map for no boost and low emissions. Takes maybe 2.5 hours to get everything off the car for inspection, it's not a big deal really. If you don't want to take that approach you can still get a turbo kit to pass emissions. The setup he has right now wouldn't pass (equal length mani, 3.5" DP, GT35R, open gate) but the one he had before with a drag mani, a T3/TO4E 50-trim, and re-routed wastegate would pass the sniffer, it's just the problem of getting an emissions place to pass you on the visual.

Add your comment to this topic!