Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Mileage Of A Great American Machine

BLAZERBOY69
04-06-2005, 04:12 PM
THIS IS A CONTINUATION OF A THREAD THAT BLAZERLT ASKED TO START IN A NEW ONE, SO HERE GOES.

1984 S10 2.8L V6 Stock everything. changed the flywheel about three months ago (from original) oil pan gasket 6 months ago, need to change out the cat and muff, but runs like a mute sliding down a hill at 700 mph. 356k miles on this great beast. I love my truck, and I'm not afraid to say it.

16th hippy
04-06-2005, 09:10 PM
a testament to all those ford loving pukes(no offense, I'm a chevy and dodge man).

OverBoardProject
04-06-2005, 10:34 PM
a testament to all those ford loving pukes(no offense, I'm a chevy and dodge man).

Ouch!

Shoot man, how do you explain the over 300,000 km on my Mercury Topaz daily driver, with hardly anything done to it. Nothing more major than replacing the starter.

And to think the car was so faithfull with me after an accident when I couldn't afford to even change the oil for 1 1/2 years while driving 300km round trip to my doctors twice a week.

How many Chevy's could do that?

OverBoardProject
04-06-2005, 10:38 PM
Oh, that wasn't a car accident that I was in

dmbrisket 51
04-07-2005, 02:28 AM
98 4.3l cai and highflow exhaust, 110k, only oil it leaks is from the lines, and one replaced water pump other then that not one machanical problem with her

rlith
04-07-2005, 07:19 AM
95 Blazer...Just turned 160k...(bought it with 123k on it) Things actually needed replacing

Motor (on my 3rd, see my site for details)
Ball joints
tie rods
Idler arm
Pitman arm
rear wiper switch
Hazard switch (busted it)
Front brake pads occasionally
Tires
Fuel pulsator, pump, sending unit
General tune up parts
CPI/Nut kit

Things needing replaced do to other morons

Front end (hit an run, found the kid, kid's mom paid for it)

Bumper and tailgate (u-haul didn't tighten down a flat bed properly and it came up and crushed my tailgate and bumper, U-haul paid for it)

Left end cap (parts truck at the dealership backed into my truck, dealership paid for it)

Things changed because I wanted to...

Rear (swapped in a posi rear w/ disc brakes)

Wheels (I hated the baha style that came with it)

Front end (upgraded to the 98 style, Grille, lights, parking lights, bumper, core support, valance)

Mirrors (upgraded to the 98+ style w/ defroster, but swapping in grand prix mirrors this weekend)

MSD6a igition system

MSD Coil

Leather seats (1st gray ones, then black ones)

Various trim (to make 2 tone)

Carpet (find the carpet sux! thread, swapped in black)

Headliner (to match the carpet)

Fog lights (uppers 55, lowers 100 watt)

Brush guard

Trailer hitch

Column shift to center shift

Monochromatic auto dimming mirror

TYC Clear headlights

APC Clear parking/blinker lights

SS Bow-tie

Ford Taurus e-fan

Home link system for the overhead console

Zq8 Steering box

2000+ Steering wheel and airbag

Replaced incandecent insturment cluster and switch lights with LED"s

Flowmaster 40 muffler

Cold Air intake

Sirus Satellite unit...

Soon to be 2" PA body lift and energy suspension poly body bushings

Energy suspension poly sway bar mounts (front and rear)

Rebuilt transmission with police pack, b&m transpak, vette servo and b&m electronic shift improver

Removed oil breather hose to the intake, replaced with oil air filter

Prestiege remote start/keyless entry/alarm system

Catco high flow cat converter and SLP Y-pipe...

Things happening in the next month or so:

5.7 votec from a 99 escalade using a 96/97 k1500 harness and ECM
Conversion oil pan
Conversion mounts
Shortie LS1 headers
More agressive cam
Reprogramming of the fuel curves
LS1 dual electric fan (for space)
Under drive pullies
New design on the CAI
lightweight aluminum drive shaft
and within the next 2 years a mach performance turbo..
Finish the paint job

16th hippy
04-07-2005, 08:06 AM
Ouch!

Shoot man, how do you explain the over 300,000 km on my Mercury Topaz daily driver, with hardly anything done to it. Nothing more major than replacing the starter.

luck and good PM.

How many Chevy's could do that?
alot, if the right oil is used...lol but bad ony ANY car. but that is also only 186,400 or so miles. try getting that to 300,000 miles.

"98 S-10 with 102,300 miles, ALL pm's done on schedule since i bought it at 76,000 miles, and most done on time before that"

BLAZERBOY69
04-07-2005, 12:02 PM
On my 84, I've also been in a pushing match with a Toyota Echo, and I won. still haven't got the front passenger side pushed out.(headlight and light ripple on quarterpanel)

16th hippy
04-07-2005, 12:22 PM
On my 84, I've also been in a pushing match with a Toyota Echo, and I won. still haven't got the front passenger side pushed out.(headlight and light ripple on quarterpanel)
probably coulda won on foot, let alone with the blazer

BLAZERBOY69
04-07-2005, 02:53 PM
probably coulda won on foot, let alone with the blazer

his Echo lost it's trunk and rear axle, while i dinged my hood and popped a headlight

OverBoardProject
04-07-2005, 07:57 PM
luck and good PM.

alot, if the right oil is used...lol but bad ony ANY car. but that is also only 186,400 or so miles. try getting that to 300,000 miles.

"98 S-10 with 102,300 miles, ALL pm's done on schedule since i bought it at 76,000 miles, and most done on time before that"

Well you never noticed when I said that I couldn't do the maintence (including oil changes) for 1.5 years, due to being beat up and, broke, unable to work half starving while recovering from an accident.

During that time I had to drive around 50,000km just to my doctors appointments. That's 30,000 miles andf I still had to do drive to Lawyers offices, grocery shopping, and drive for the basics.

I'll be suprised if I have to re-build the motor before 500,000km. It still runns like a charm

16th hippy
04-07-2005, 08:57 PM
"if the right oil is used" it seems you used the right oil then....lol All kidding aside, ALL cars are shit....why do you think they make parts for them?

OverBoardProject
04-07-2005, 10:19 PM
Your right 16th hippy when they make the 1,000,000 mile engine before you need a major tuneup then I'll be impressed

OverBoardProject
04-07-2005, 10:20 PM
just curious, what does 16th hippy stand for?

16th hippy
04-07-2005, 10:43 PM
16th is for the 16th Flying Tigers Air Combat Composite Wing(ACCW). I am a member of the 164th Wild Weasels squadron in that wing, specialty is SEAD(Suppression of Enemy Air Defenses). In addition to being a grease monkey in training, i am also a flight sim nut and fly Falcon 4.0 with a bunch of guys and one gal online.

as far as engines with a 1,000,000 mile warranty, they do exist. The new Cummins turbo diesels are warranted for that long if ALL the propper maintainance is done on schedule. they do need tune ups here and there, but that's mostly popping the valve cover off and adjusting the rocker arm screws for the valves. Most of the 5.9L cummins in a dodge truck need a major overhaul at around 500,000 miles(new bearings, rings, seals and gaskets). the million mile ones are more like the 14.9L in the big trucks, but still, not a bad deal for a $65,000 engine.

OverBoardProject
04-07-2005, 11:36 PM
I should have rephrased that and said gas motors

Diesel is the way to go. Although where I live it now costs more than gas.

I was looking for a Nissan Patrol Diesel engine for my Blazer when I had to rebuild my 2.8L. They are basicly imposible to find

the Nissan Patrol is like the Toyota Land Cruiser, and now has a 3.0L 4 banger diesel which we can't get in N.America. There wer a few sent here years ago with if I remember corectly a 6 cylinder diesel engine
http://www.webwombat.com.au/motoring/news_reports/xrt_patrol3.htm

dmbrisket 51
04-07-2005, 11:47 PM
some early 90's ford rangers have 6 cyl. desel moters in them... and good luck with the 1000000 mile warrenty out of a gas moter lol, i mean c'mon, does it really matter though? the parts know when the warrenty is up and they can start breaken

OverBoardProject
04-08-2005, 12:58 AM
I thought that the Ranger diesel was a turbo charged 4 banger Mazda motor. I guess that I was wrong.

Those diesel Mazda motors are increadible, and I hate to say this...
but my daily driver Topaz has one in it... which is why I know that It'll last for a very long time. Even after I had to abuse the poor little car for that while there.
It loves me now, and it's getting 4 new struts, springs, wheel bearings, brakes, 1 cv joint, and possibly a rear sway bar next week as a reward.
It's the first time that any of those things have been changed.

OverBoardProject
04-08-2005, 01:03 AM
I heard about a year ago that they have the plastic on cars enginered to self destruck shortly after their warrenty. And I have seen 1 saturn that had nothing left of their dent resistant body panels, so I believe it.

Although I do have a newspaper clipping that shows a writen off Hummer that got majorly banged up by cop cars.
The cop cars didn't even have a scratch on them due to their plastic bumpers popping back in place (that's what the cops tell me anyways).
They had to spike belt all 4 tires of the hummer to lower it enough to ram like that.

My computers settings won't let me paste the newspaper article on this site, but if anyone wants to see it just drop me a pm, and I'll e-mail it to you

dmbrisket 51
04-08-2005, 09:12 AM
the 4 cyl rangers that were desil here in the us, there were less then 100 of them...

OverBoardProject
04-08-2005, 10:57 AM
I had heard that there were fewer than 100 tempo's, topaz with the diesel motors too. Although I kinda find that hard to believe since I've seen 4 + mine in just BC, Alberta, and Wa state

brosko80
02-07-2006, 06:30 PM
stop using km and give info in MILES

OverBoardProject
02-07-2006, 08:06 PM
I'm Canadian, I'm entitled to use KM.

You should be able to figure it out as easily as I can.

60 miles = pretty close to 100km

dmbrisket 51
02-08-2006, 12:57 PM
stop using km and give info in MILES
stop being such a typical ignorent american and convert the fact that 1km is .6mi and 1mi is 1.6 km, its realy not a hard conversion, and not to correct the kunuck but 60mi=96.5 km

Add your comment to this topic!