Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1997 Ram 4x4 automatic

DCDodge
04-06-2005, 02:13 PM
Can anyone tell me how many quarts of tranny fluid need to be added after a fluid and filter change. I have a 1997 Ram 1500 4x4, 5.9L w/ automatic tranny (46RE). I thought it was supposed to be four, but I'm not positive. Thanks.

crazys182003
04-06-2005, 08:54 PM
well from what I have found out your tranny is also an A518. From reading this thread on dodgetalk communtiy forum I believe your fluid capacity is 10-12 quarts I found that at this thread.....
http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44675&highlight=fluid
at the bottom of the thread there is a picture that ahs all the info on it. If you have any problems loading that let me know. I can try to copy the picture somehow than and put it here if it doesn'
t show up. What you have to keep in mind though is if you are doing your own Tranny service you will most likely only be able to remove 40% of the fluid. That is all that is stored in the pan. the rest is stored in the torque converter and such. The best way to fully service a Tranny would be to take it to a shop where they can hookup a machine and fully empty all the fluid and refill it. But that isn't always necessary.
In this thread though the guy says that for a change it take 6-7 quarts and he suggests just to buy a case of tranny fluid. That makes sense to me since the entire capactity is quoted at the 10-12. You wouldn't be needing all that so in conclusion I would say 6-7 quarts.
http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42844&highlight=fluid

bigkane01
04-06-2005, 10:20 PM
I have a '97 Ram 5.9 auto 4x4 as well. Back in the summer of '04 I changed the fluid and filter in mine. The repair manual I have, said it would take around 7. I put in 6, then 7, then 8...... I ended up putting in about 11 quarts in mine. And that was just dropping the pan and installing a new filter. I guess you'd really have to play it by ear. After 7 quarts I drove mine around and the tranny began to slip and not want to shift. So I pulled to the side of the road and dipstick showed extremely low. So I kept putting in 1 at a time until it showed good on the stick. Eventually, like I said, after 11qts everything was great.

DCDodge
04-07-2005, 08:38 AM
Thanks, guys, I've added 5 and the level is showing just above the add line, so I guess I'll just keep going until the level is right.

DCDodge
04-09-2005, 12:34 AM
Added just under 6 quarts and it's right on the money. I was getting a very small amount of seepage around the pan after replacing the filter and fluid. I tightened the bolts more ( no torque wrench, but was advised by trusted friend mechanic to hold the head of the socket wrench and tighten until all bolts feel the same...pretty tight, but not all the way down). Does this sound right? Just curious. It seems to have worked but I haven't checked around the tranny pan since yesterday afternoon.

bigkane01
04-09-2005, 12:59 AM
That's exactly what I usually do. I don't have a torque wrench either. Plus it keeps you from over tightening and stripping the threads, unless your really strong.

DCDodge
04-09-2005, 08:24 AM
Sounds good, thanks for the response. It seems to have worked just fine.

Add your comment to this topic!