Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

door hinge

kospotts
04-05-2005, 10:49 PM
One of the hinge pins on my 1991 Sierra is broken ( upper hinge left side) causing the door to sag slightly. How easy is this to replace? What is the prcedure for doing so? Do I have to remove the front fender? Thanks in advance. K.O.

Kevcules
04-06-2005, 07:50 PM
Hello
I just replaced my door hinge pins and bushings on my 91 half ton. Buy a hinge kit which includes two pins and oversized bushings.Buy aftermarket parts , the dealer wanted $20 for one pin and $4 each for the bushings. I got the whole set for $25!! It is SIMPLE to change. You need a 6 inch punch and a hammer and a helper. (Only take your fender off if you want to "replace" it) Open the door fully and tap on the bottom of the hinge pin and it comes right out. There is a little retainer on the end your tapping on, to keep the pin from working it's way out, pry or pull that off first. The upper pin is tapped down to come out and the lower pin comes up to come out. Have someone help you support the door because after you pop the pins , the door comes off. Once off , pop out the old bushings with the hammer and punch and replace them. The upper bushings go on the frame hinge and the lower ones go on the door. Even after I changed all that, my door still has a little play because I noticed when I put the new bushings in, they were a little loose. Alot of wear to the holes over the years. My truck is 14 years old , big deal.

Add your comment to this topic!