Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

dash lights

94"Che-rolet"Z34
04-05-2005, 10:22 PM
just wondering, would the dash lights in the 94 Z34 be the lights that are built into the circuit board, or would they be the bulbs... just kinda wondering cuz id like to switch all the lights to red...

tblake
04-07-2005, 05:30 PM
I believe most of them are built into the circuit boards. It still is possible however. I would recomend LED bulds, and resistors (absolutely needed to get that 12V going to the incandescent lamps down to about 2-3Vfor the LED to safely use). Although its a big job, it is very doable. Good luck

94"Che-rolet"Z34
04-07-2005, 09:01 PM
ok... thats what i was afraid of... i knew it would prbly b built in, but i was hopeful(obviously falsely), but would your standard napa/autozone/advanced have the resistor needed for this project?

tblake
04-07-2005, 09:11 PM
um, you would have to buy the led's first, or at least know what voltage they are rated to use. Usually about 2 to 3. So figure what current is produced by your instrument cluster, and do a little math. Ohm's law. What you will have to to is get the 12V down to about 2. I dont know what value resistor you'ld need to use. but the LED's will melt in a hurry if you send too much to them. i'd say go to radio shack, they should be able to set you up. What you have to do is buy an LED bulb, and resistor for every incondescent light you take out. The resistor will have to be wired in series with the LED. Does that make sense? Its a big job my friend. Well worht the time thought, and those LED's will last forever if they have the right voltage and current going to them. Good luck, sorry I cant help more.

94"Che-rolet"Z34
04-07-2005, 09:26 PM
yea, i uderstand what your saying...i understand electrics and all of that(wired in my own remote start/alarm/doorlocks/trunkpop, stereo, etc etc...) and good idea with the radioshack... for some reason i never even thought about that. and yea, its is a formidable task, but ive got spare time and i may just be willing to do it... it would add a really nice touch to what ive already done to the car. (underdash light, obviously red also, painted windshield wipers, engine mounts, the braces, the cover over the idle adjusting screw all an anodized red... turned out beautifully... i love how it looks. and the stock airbox has been removed and replaced with a(red) cotton cone filter...) ive got more plans to it, and have done many other things to it, im just trying to scope out the complexity of my project before i dive into it... thanx much

Manny_boy
04-08-2005, 07:31 AM
if you're referring to the lights behind your instrument cluster, nope, its bulbs back there (had to change mine when I bought the car, most of the panel was out) - however, they are not standard bulbs, they are built into a housing that I have never seen in any parts store. Once you dismantle the back of your cluster, the bulbs twist out. I ended up getting some bulbs from a j/y. (I always carry a 9v battery and a harness to test bulbs). If you can separate the bulbs from the housing without cracking the glass, most of the bulbs are standard 194's and 161's). The real pain is getting the new bulb back in the housing, and getting the contacts bent correctly.

tblake
04-08-2005, 04:33 PM
just unsolder the housing for those crappy incondescent bulbs, and replace them with the red led's. I know the lights in the heater controlls are soldered directally to the pcb board, and so are the radio (if its still stock that is). I would still do it. How hard can it be?

94"Che-rolet"Z34
04-08-2005, 09:56 PM
yea, im still prbly going to wind up doing it over the summer... the look ive got imagined is too sweet to not do it... and no, the radio is not stock... that was the first thing i changed...lol... im as much of and electronic and music junky as i am a car junky... so my cars like a perfect equilibrium...

richtazz
04-09-2005, 08:42 AM
I re-did my 91 Cavalier and it's a simple swap. The factory bulbs are soldered to the base, but you can replace them with the red 194 peanut bulbs and the sockets are available at any Advance Auto parts ( possibly A-Zone too) It's cheaper to buy the 194 bulbs and the sockets than it is to replace the factory style bulbs that are all soldered together. Don't try to be cheap and peel the bulb out of the factory plasstic base, as the replacement sockets are only like $3 a pair. Advance carries the 194 bulbs in both blue and red.

94"Che-rolet"Z34
04-09-2005, 09:52 PM
got it done today. not a hard job at all. and it looks sick! and it all only cost me like $15, and looks like i bought a brand new dash! now i just have to do the door locks, headlight switch, doome light, trunk light, hood light, and the light above the ashtray... thanx everyone for the input!!

Manny_boy
04-11-2005, 06:26 AM
oh... I didn't know you could buy the housing... Autozone around here never seems to know what I'm talking about :lol:

Add your comment to this topic!