Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

84 Cad Deville Ht4100 No Start

RICORVAIR
04-05-2005, 11:24 AM
I was driving fine in my 84 cad deville. Running fine. Then it shut off like it was turned off. Glided it into a parking space. 77,000

It gets a code 53.

If I crank it, it cranks a couple times fine, then it sounds like the starter is just spinning without engaging the motor.

I see the belts move.

Replaced the fuel pump, filter, strainer, cleaned the tank.

Replaced the plugs, wires, cap, rotor. Plugs were heavily carbon fouled. If I put a timing light on it. I get a blink every few sec, it will sound like it wanted to start, then the motor stops spinning and I hear the starter free spinning.

Checked the coil with a ohm meter. The chiltons said to check the primary poles. Which got low resistance. To the primary in the middle from each of the poles bat, tach and ground each got infinate resistance. Just like the one on the shelf at autozone.
Is this correct.

Next will check the pickup coil.

Could this be a relay, if so how do I test it and where are they? And how do I test it.

I am more familar with my 65 corvair then this computerized beast.

Is their a kit or a resource to put a different motor in it.

C

MagicRat
04-06-2005, 12:04 PM
It sounds like the ignition module has gone.

Every single time a GM car (with the HEI ignition system, like yours) has died on me for a mysterious reason, its been the module. This is a small solid-state electronic thingie in the distributor right underneath the rotor, about 1x2 inches in size with a couple of blade-type electrical connectors sticking out.

Also, it sounds as if the Bendix drive on your starter is a bit weak. Maybe you should replce the drive or, better yet, replace the starter.

RICORVAIR
04-06-2005, 12:07 PM
Its worth a try. They are pretty cheap...even at NAPA. Supposedly they can test it.

It sounds like the ignition module has gone.

Every single time a GM car (with the HEI ignition system, like yours) has died on me for a mysterious reason, its been the module. This is a small solid-state electronic thingie in the distributor right underneath the rotor, about 1x2 inches in size with a couple of blade-type electrical connectors sticking out.

Also, it sounds as if the Bendix drive on your starter is a bit weak. Maybe you should replce the drive or, better yet, replace the starter.

RICORVAIR
04-08-2005, 12:00 PM
I went to NAPA and they checked the coil and ignition module. They both passed.

Could they pass and still be bad?

Also, could the starter just not be spinning the motor fast enough for it to start. I only get 1 flash from my timing gun every 4 sec. Then the motor stops spinning. If I keep the key turned it does not keep cranking. Making me think its the starter, or the ECM thinks it started, and disengages the starter.
Anyway what can cause the trouble code 53.

MagicRat
04-08-2005, 08:19 PM
, or the ECM thinks it started, and disengages the starter.
These starters are not computer controlled. It uses a simple mechanical disconnect device called a Bendix drive, which has been used on starters for about 80 years.

As I posted earlier, in your case, the bendix spring likely is weak or broken. Replace the starter and try again.

Code 53 is a "Distributor Signal Interrupt" which could be a bad wiring harness or bad module. Perhaps you can clean up the electrical terminals for the distributor (not the plug wires) first. I suspect a new module may be the next step if required.

RICORVAIR
04-11-2005, 08:41 AM
Thanks.
I will work on that. Had the module and the coil tested at NAPA.

Noticed a funny situation. I put the battery from the caddy into my 92 caravan, and it would run, but the turn signals did not work and the air bag light would stay on. Does this tell us anything.

If I put the much newer 36DT battery in the caddy from the caravan it makes a beep sound, like a door is open, or the key is in the ignition, but the car is not running. Even if all 4 doors are closed and the key is on the dash. I had a new ignition cylinder put in a couple months back, could they have botched the job and a wire came loose in their.

Could the starter be bad, and not turning the motor quick enough to start.

Thanks a lot for your help and oppinions.

These starters are not computer controlled. It uses a simple mechanical disconnect device called a Bendix drive, which has been used on starters for about 80 years.

As I posted earlier, in your case, the bendix spring likely is weak or broken. Replace the starter and try again.

Code 53 is a "Distributor Signal Interrupt" which could be a bad wiring harness or bad module. Perhaps you can clean up the electrical terminals for the distributor (not the plug wires) first. I suspect a new module may be the next step if required.

RICORVAIR
05-18-2005, 10:00 AM
Had to bring her to my mechanic.

The fiber timing gear was shredded. So it would spin the rotor, jump, spin.

Took 2 mechanics and a long bar to get the harmonic balancer off, but the job is done. I pick her up today.

Add your comment to this topic!