Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

97 ram 1500 trans code 45

cdg378
04-05-2005, 08:58 AM
97 ram with a computer code of 45...no other codes returned.

History:
Completely stock vehicle at 113,000 miles, serviced 1 time for 02 sensor.

One day when I shifted from reverse to drive (hot engine drove about 45 miles that day) when backing from a parking space the trans seemed to lock for a second, then appear to be in limp mode starting out in 3rd gear. I know 3rd gear from 1st and saw the rpms raised from takeoff so I puled the shifter down into 1st. This had no effect, I then put the vehicle in park and then straight down into 1st from park, I now had 1st gear. This is the only way I can get first, if I pull down to first from drive I get second.

I get OD at about 45 mph just like before, in fact everything works normally in and above 3rd gear.

I don't drive the truck much, it's a second vehicle for utility purposes and has been babied in excellent condition, never towed or hauled anything other than some furniture.

For the past 20,000 miles or so I have been manually shifting the truck by starting out in second and bumping the shifter up to drive at about 20 mph, the fluid is pink and smells good, tastes good :0)..

I am not really a dodge guy and because my line of work I know code 45 could be alot of things, but appears to be related to OD solenoid from the research I have done, again OD works fine in limp mode, or is it really not in limp mode but just unable to get first and second automatically on its own?

Any help would be appreciated, I don't mind replacing every sensor on the vehicle but would like to fix the problem first by replacing the part causing the problem.

Thanks in advance...

cdg378
04-05-2005, 07:13 PM
Really thought someone would have some info on this considering all the problems that are supposed to be evident with these transmissons.

I work on semi tractors and are considered one of the best in the industry, when it comes to cars and light trucks I'm in the dark about transmissions because of their computer controls even though I build Allisons for a living.

My take on the whole thing is people are severly getting ripped off by repair shops and even the dealers, when a problem exists with computer controls, the "you need a new transmission" bs from someone you are trying to trust is what is probably happening when you just need someone to do some accurate diagnosis and a 200.00 repair at the most, but you get a new trans and bash the manufacturer for needing one.

If someone came to me and explained their problem on a heavy truck to me the way I have here I would have the answer to their problem in most cases without even seeing or driving the vehicle.

With my experience in the industry I would say that very close to all these so called trans problems never needed a new trans in the first place, I have 113,000 miles on that trans and never have had the pan off, it was 1/2 a quart down in that whole time.

There is nothing wrong with this trans that a sensor or maybe a small valve body repair won't fix, I am sure if I take it in, even to a dealer they will tell me the trans is shot.

In fact I might just do that, get an estimate then get serious about fixing the problem, then slap the dealer in the face with the truth later.

In short, you better get opinions before spending your hard earned cash!

I have driven this vehicle 20,000 plus miles with this problem and it runs great, it just won't find 1st and 2nd by itself without a little help from the driver.

ejazz
04-06-2005, 08:54 AM
I totally agree with you! I am also having similar problems with my '98 and I have called several Dodge dealer service departments. Everyone has said " oh, that doesn't sound good, let me look up a price on a new Chrysler transmission". Average price of around $2200! I work on cars and trucks alot and love fixing them for people as inexpensive as possible. It's great to tell someone who thought they needed a new car that there problem was a $25 sensor. That's enough satisfaction for me. It would be fun to go to a Dodge transmission class to be able to diagnose these problems and give people alternate fixes for there problems. You might want to try dodgeforums.com for more info. Click on Dodge Ram and then click 2nd Gen for your truck.

Sapper69
04-08-2005, 06:56 AM
what about tps? or try clearing you computer let the truck relearn the sensor.

ejazz
04-11-2005, 10:15 PM
Try this- it worked for me! After banging my head for two weeks I was told by someone to check the in line check valve in the transmission cooling lines. Sure enough the little ball in the valve was stuck shut! the check valve is located right by the radiator on the passenger side. It is only about 3 inches long and has a 19mm head with a swivel. Use a line spring tool to get the fitting off at the radiator and then loosen the swivel. The check valve actually comes out with a six inch piece of hose attached. Inside there is a ball bearing that is supposed to stop back flow when the truck is not running. I had to use compressed air to get the ball bearing loose. Clean it up and put it back or a new one is $45 at a Dodge dealer. This coud be the reason why my tranny heated up so fast and then wouldn't shift right. Been driving it for two days with no more problems. It's worth a try and with alot of miles on a truck the ball bearing could get wore out and start to stick.

theFREAKnasty82
04-11-2005, 11:48 PM
I'm not sure if I saw it or not, but a code 45 is your trans temp sensor malfunction.

Add your comment to this topic!