Colorado Problems

Gammey3
04-05-2005, 06:23 AM
Let's start at the top, I bought a new 2004 Chevy Colorado and 16,300 miles later I've already had it at the dealership several times. The problems went as follows :
1. Air Conditioner went out
2. Air Conditioner went out AGAIN!
3. Dome Light fried itself
4. CD Player quit accepting CD's
5. Low Oil Pressure on startup (Dealership hasn't touched this yet, says they have to wait on a recall)
6. Piston Slap?? (Same as above, recall thing)
7. Rear drum brakes already shot!
8. Metalic grinding/rubbing sound when turning left
9. Vibration Noise from passenger seat area
10. Heater is now making a strange noise when turned on

Now the dealership has been good about fixing the majority of the problems, however the fact that I keep having to deal with these problems on a new truck is rather annoying (not to mention problems 5-10 still haven't been fixed) I use this truck for work so every time I have to take it in for something is a day of work I miss.
BTW the factory tires are really worthless, I've already had to replace them even after rotating them every 2500 miles, they were completely bald after 10,000 miles

Gammey3
06-11-2005, 07:51 AM
:banghead: Now the back window started leaking...

Gammey3
06-21-2005, 07:21 AM
Not much luck after getting the glass fixed...now the strip molding on the roof is peeling up and the CD player is fading out again. My truck is now at 20,400 miles and the engine problem has progressed to a point where the engine cranks about five times before starting and when it does fire up, it jerks the whole truck like you've left the thing in gear. My main problem at this point is that the dealership is now claiming they can't find anything wrong with it despite what they told me earlier (I'm thinking GM has told them not to admit there's a problem).
This whole experience has taught me one valuable lesson, I will NEVER buy another GM product again. I've had less problems out of my 14 year old Honda than I have this 1 year old Chevy. If this is the kind of quality vehicle that they produce and the kind of service that they put behind their vehicles, I would strongly suggest that everyone avoids purchasing a car or truck from any of the GM brands.

lk2064
08-14-2005, 01:16 PM
thats funny, i'm the same way, i've had probably about 13 or 14 problems with this 1 year old truck than my 13 year old honda civic in which there has been only one real problem with.i swore i would never buy a GM product before i bought this truck, but i needed one for work, and Hondas truck came out just a little too late, anyway i'm thinking of getting rid of mine and actually getting a honda truck, i will never own another GM product as long as i live.

Philo
09-03-2005, 11:12 PM
You need to get all of the problems and dealer resolutions and non-resolutions in front of you and then call GM. They will assign a single person to you that you can call when ever you need to talk to them about these problems. Call your dealer and ask for the (800) number. This will let them know you are going to call GM, so they are aware of the seriousness of these problems. I called on an engine self-distruction problem and GM was very helpful and fair - especially since the car was no longer under warranty. They paid for 1/2 of the repairs and paid for a rental car for over a month! I will never buy from that dealer again, because they treated me in the worst way possible (don't get me started on this) until GM gave them a call. After that they were calling me 'Mr'.

AndrewH85
10-08-2005, 08:04 PM
hey guys, new to this forum,looks interesting so far.I have an 04 crew cab zq8 I5 and heres my list of problems.

front speakers have both messed up under zero abuse(being a certified MECP installer who knows his stuff,I'd say the cone and VC became seperated) :lol2:

inside of windshield FROZE in cold weather.ever had to use an ice scraper on the inside? :banghead:

pulls to the right,even after being taken to the dealership and "fixed" :rolleyes:

thermometer is up to 25degrees off at any given time :rofl:

door locks screwed up.the computer read that my door were locked and they werent, had to pull the fuse to reset them 2 times last winter. :disappoin

headlight fogged on inside :mad:

the truck randomly "dings" at me for no reason with no message center display. :screwy:

message center suppossedly will tell me engine oil life % but does nothing but trip and life milage. :nono:

other than that, 2 complaints. mine doesnt have as much power as other identical ones I've driven, and those darn rear headrest are not removable! why does it even have a rear window?

:2cents:

lizzy065
10-10-2005, 09:52 AM
i have a o4 colorado inline 4 it is the worst , the gas milage is worse than my inline 5. a vibration in the front and it accerlates on its own , it has been in the garage so much it only has 14000 miles on it and going on 2 yrs that i owned it. i have delt with gm and the just want to offer me an extended warrenty for my troubles-yeah like that solves the problem.i was told to take it to 5 differnet dealers so far i feel like im a fish on a rope just pulling to get free of it but cant.
im lost i hate the truck and im stuck with it.
please help
thanks
liz

55CSA
01-02-2006, 02:27 PM
Not much luck after getting the glass fixed...now the strip molding on the roof is peeling up and the CD player is fading out again. My truck is now at 20,400 miles and the engine problem has progressed to a point where the engine cranks about five times before starting and when it does fire up, it jerks the whole truck like you've left the thing in gear. My main problem at this point is that the dealership is now claiming they can't find anything wrong with it despite what they told me earlier (I'm thinking GM has told them not to admit there's a problem).
This whole experience has taught me one valuable lesson, I will NEVER buy another GM product again. I've had less problems out of my 14 year old Honda than I have this 1 year old Chevy. If this is the kind of quality vehicle that they produce and the kind of service that they put behind their vehicles, I would strongly suggest that everyone avoids purchasing a car or truck from any of the GM brands.

In ref. to engine problems, I read the below from edmunds.com forums

#719 of 734 Re: Poor Gas Mileage [pjjbm] by pjjbm Nov 19, 2005 (12:07 pm)
Reply | E-mail Msg
Replying to: pjjbm (Aug 09, 2005 5:25 pm)

I finally got Chevy to apply Bulletin 04-06-04-081A (Replace Exhaust Valve Springs) on my 2005 Colorado 2.8 4 cyl. I know the bulletin only lists five cyl engines, but Chevy had an issue where they were building both the four and five cyl engines used in the Colorados and Canyons with weak exhaust valve springs. Guess what, it was forcing hot gases through the valve seats. I wonder how long until I would have had burnt valve seats! Maybe the valve seats are already burnt. It cleared up the intermittent engine RPMs drop off to 500 RPMs while shifting gears. Also, it increased by gas mileage 5 to 10 percent and cleared up the smell of gasoline in the oil.

I still have the intermittent engine bucking when accelerating in the lower gears. I have been told by multiple service managers that the engine bucking is a feature of these "lean burn" engines. I guess I am stuck with the "bucking feature". I can't afford to trade out this vehicle at this time. end of thread from edmunds.

cousincletus
01-02-2006, 03:46 PM
Dang, seems like there is a lot of truth to first year models being a problem with GM.

Add your comment to this topic!