Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

89 trooper, no power to fuel pump

numskull26
04-04-2005, 11:22 PM
trooper died on me mid stride while driving down the road like it just flicked a switch off, I't seems there is no power to fuel pump , I've checked all fuses , the relay in fuse box replaced, where else is there a relay or fuse or fusable link damb chiltons are stupid, I think they are in kahootz with auto repair shops or whatever that conspiracy is , I swear I'm ready to go buy an old 77 chev or something without any computers.Well thats a whole nother topic..... well any help is appreciated.

numskull26
04-05-2005, 10:06 PM
someone that knows please post, where are the fusable links at? or what else should i look for?

amigo-2k
04-09-2005, 08:14 AM
1. Pull the fuel pump and see if it still works (wire it directly to a 12V battery and see if it hums).

If so the pump is most likly good.

After that you will have to see if you have a break in your wireharness. And/or run new wires.

numskull26
04-09-2005, 11:21 AM
someone that knows please post, where are the fusable links at? or what else should i look for?

I was wondering if i could just run new wires or if it would mess up the computer? I was going to attempt to just wire it into the ignition so it's on when the key is on, would that work alright?

Thanks for the reply

amigo-2k
04-09-2005, 11:28 PM
...but you don't know if the pump is good? forget the wires until you know the status of the pump.

numskull26
04-10-2005, 07:15 PM
...but you don't know if the pump is good? forget the wires until you know the status of the pump.

well i disconnected the plug at the tank and tested it and there's no juice so I am asumeing the pump is fine.

89trooper
07-28-2005, 09:50 PM
my brother had the same problem on an 88. if you bypass the relay and still don't get 12v to the pump the wiring to the fuel tank is bad. his was broken inside(the insulation was still good but the wire inside was busted) about 4 inches from the plug on the harness side(not the pump side)

Add your comment to this topic!