Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

damn it! need help u guys.....

importeater38
04-04-2005, 10:24 PM
ok, 98 yukon qith 135k on the dial. fixed fuel pump and 4x4 transfer case/gears rebuilt going into the winter. Truck ran great all winter....until now. I had a problem with the car not getting enough juice via the battery (battery is only a year old), i kept having to wiggle the postive connection to get it juice to the car to start it. So, im thinking corrosion, take it off...no corrosion. I tighten up the postive teriminal as hard as i can, seems to start fine now but....
...The dome light and dash lights seem to be flickering ever so lightly. If u look at the electrical gauge in the dash, it is moving back and forth like crazy, but only by a milimeter or less. It never goes real low though.
Yesterday, i start the car, drive down the road 150 yards and the car just cuts out, so i put it in park and start the car, noticing it seems to not want to start back up right away.

so looks like a power drain somewhere right? Sounds like the alternator is getting ready to shit the bed?

let me know what u guys think.

thanks

goinbig
04-05-2005, 05:06 PM
check both the grounds that come off of the battery.

There's one big cable (same size as possitive cable) and one little one that should go straight to the body to ground it.

LEsnow
04-05-2005, 08:13 PM
You should clean all the connections (grounds and positive) regardless of what they look like. The secondary ground is easy to overlook. Also, try substituting another battery. It's not unheard of for a battery, new or otherwise, to develop an internal short.

importeater38
04-05-2005, 10:25 PM
so should i rule out the alternator? ill check the grounds tomorrow

04-06-2005, 12:39 AM
Mine did the same thing. You have two positive cables with a round block of lead that is between the two you must remove the block and then clean every thing. The round block is something that most people don’t notice. I hope this help you because it was my problem. Dave

importeater38
04-06-2005, 01:12 PM
ok, i checked and cleaned every ground or positive cable and terminal i could find. Car starts fine, but i do see the gauge slowly start to drop. It seems to me its deff the alternator now. I ordered a 140amp yesterday anyway. I figure its do for a new one anyway, even if its not the problem.

goinbig
04-07-2005, 02:32 PM
It's either the battery or the alternator then

Add your comment to this topic!